Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fargo Season 3 *Spoilers*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,179 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Very disappointing ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Great season! Varga for sure one of the most fascinating characters I have seen on TV in a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

Is it just me, or did anyone else notice the nods to Breaking Bad?

First there was the mention of Erhmantraut, which is Mike's surname in Breaking Bad, and is a bit coincidental.

Then there's the fake cop who tries to inject Nikki in the cells. The actor's name is DJ Qualis, and he played the undercover cop, Getz in Breaking Bad who does Badger on the park bench.

And then V.M Varga shares a surname with Nacho Vargo in BCS.

I'm not talking about a full blown conspiracy theory here, or anything like that. I just think that they did give a couple of nods to BB.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 34,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Minor coincidence (the character in Fargo was called ErmentrauB).

Saul Goodman, Meth Damon and Mrs. Kettleman were in Fargo last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Let me preface this by saying I loved the film, and the first two seasons.

This season is the only season not to feature Fargo, North Dakota, and ironically, this season was muck. Pure muck. Everything was wrong about this from the start. First the casting. I thought it was a terrible choice to pick Ewan McGregor for a lead in this, I never saw the actor fitting into the world of Fargo. Then, the dual brother role...ugh. Horrible idea. Both versions of McGregor were just ugly to look at, unfunny, badly acted characters.

Mary Elizabeth Winstead was mostly fine, but nothing on Kirsten Dunst's performance from last season. Carrie Coon was good, but not as interesting as Allison Tolman as Molly Solverson, in the first season.

The worst character of the season for me was David Thewlis as V.M. Varga. Absolutely sucked the life, fun, and energy out of every scene he was in. If this was the first season of Fargo, I would have stopped after the first few episodes of this season, and be turned right off the idea of Fargo as a TV show. Every time he appeared he had a rambling story of bullsh*t and nonsense, and he tested my very will to live, nevermind my enjoyment of the show. The teeth...the f*cking teeth. How did someone, anyone, not just punch this f*cking guy right in the face and shut him up? Yeah, he had henchmen, but Varga himself had all the menace of a sweaty Maths teacher.

After what happened to Sy Feltz with the mug in episode 5, how as man, do you not go home, wash your mouth out, get a gun, and the next time you see Varga, the Russian, or the dancing Asian, put a bullet in their brain? Couldn't root for Feltz after that. Him and Emmit were such bitches of characters. V.M. Varga was nothing compared to Billy Bob Thornton's Lorne Malvo.

After trying with the needle, where did DJ Qualls disappear to? That was weird.

Was there a point to Ray Wise?

The season had both a negative atmospheric and visual tone. It looked washed out, like a DCEU film.

I watched this season after the third season of Better Call Saul. Both shows have had three seasons of ten episodes, 30 episodes each. Judging based on their first two seasons, I would've said Fargo was the much better show. But Better Call Saul had an incredible third season, it's not even a contest between their third seasons.

After watching the first six episodes Wednesday, I knew this season was never going to reach the heights of the first two seasons, but I at least hoped we would see a gruesome death for Varga and somehow a satisfying ending, so I watched the remaining four episodes and finished the season yesterday. That "5 years later" thing and non-ending with Varga was laughably bad. I am sick of this open-ended, non-ending bullsh*t. I would be more okay with Varga getting away, than the "maybe he's caught, maybe he's free" crap. So many films and series try to have two endings, two possibilities, a positive and a negative...and it's boring and worse of all...unoriginal. I had a streak of shows with new seasons lately, The Leftovers, American Gods, and Better Call Saul, all great original shows unlike most other crap on TV. But I was more excited and looking forward to Fargo than any of those, thinking it would be the best of the bunch. I was so disappointed. When Fargo ends, I had planned to rewatch the series in chronological order, (so far, S2-film-S1-S3), but after this season, I don't know if I will, or if I'll bother with this season. Of course I will watch future seasons, being an anthology series and all, but my enthusiasm has been curbed.

Speaking of future seeason, I read an article with Noah Hawley that said it could be three years away! Why can't FX continue without him? It's based on the Coen brothers film, and they change the cast each season, so why not the writers/directors? I know you could have a radically different season, but isn't that better than waiting three years? I would like to see a season of Fargo by Bryan Fuller, for example, or oddball pick, Charlie Kaufman.

"Mister, we're not friends. I mean, maybe we will be someday. But I gotta say, if that were me in your position? I would have killed that man."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭dadad231

Good post, It was a disappointing season alright, it did start with such promise though, but the 2nd half let it down.

Why did that deaf lad bother killing Emmet Stussy ?
    Did he see him responsible over Nicki's death ?

Just seemed silly to me ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Yeah, well, that's just, like, your Frank O.pinion, man.:p

I think calling the series muck is harsh. I really enjoyed series three, Its miles ahead of BCS imo, I did find the final episode a bit disappointing though, ambiguous endings are always going to divide opinion.

Was really annoyed that the Mr Wrench and Nikki just let Varga escape after the elevator scene, It didn't make sense to me that they wouldn't at least try and chase him down.

Mr wrench waiting five years to avenge Nikki didn't sit right with me either.

Dj Qualls character was decapitated in the forest?

Dj Qualls character was decapitated in the forest?
    I mean in the police station. He just ran out into the hallway and the incoming cops didn't see him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Its miles ahead of BCS imo

Blasphemy! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Elvisjuice

saying this season was muck is pure scutter thought it was class , not quite as good as season two . But calling it muck get a ****ing grip .

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Richie71

I binge watched the first 9 episodes and I have to say I was enjoying this season. I had to wait a week for that last episode and it really was a poor ending. It kinda took the shine off the whole season for me and it would put me off rewatching again or recommending to anyone.

our -- are you the royal family? so is mine , BM

Let me preface this by saying I loved the film, and the first two seasons.

This season is the only season not to feature Fargo, North Dakota, and ironically, this season was muck. Pure muck. Everything was wrong about this from the start. First the casting. I thought it was a terrible choice to pick Ewan McGregor for a lead in this, I never saw the actor fitting into the world of Fargo. Then, the dual brother role...ugh. Horrible idea. Both versions of McGregor were just ugly to look at, unfunny, badly acted characters.

Mary Elizabeth Winstead was mostly fine, but nothing on Kirsten Dunst's performance from last season. Carrie Coon was good, but not as interesting as Allison Tolman as Molly Solverson, in the first season.

The worst character of the season for me was David Thewlis as V.M. Varga. Absolutely sucked the life, fun, and energy out of every scene he was in. If this was the first season of Fargo, I would have stopped after the first few episodes of this season, and be turned right off the idea of Fargo as a TV show. Every time he appeared he had a rambling story of bullsh*t and nonsense, and he tested my very will to live, nevermind my enjoyment of the show. The teeth...the f*cking teeth. How did someone, anyone, not just punch this f*cking guy right in the face and shut him up? Yeah, he had henchmen, but Varga himself had all the menace of a sweaty Maths teacher.

After what happened to Sy Feltz with the mug in episode 5, how as man, do you not go home, wash your mouth out, get a gun, and the next time you see Varga, the Russian, or the dancing Asian, put a bullet in their brain? Couldn't root for Feltz after that. Him and Emmit were such bitches of characters. V.M. Varga was nothing compared to Billy Bob Thornton's Lorne Malvo.

After trying with the needle, where did DJ Qualls disappear to? That was weird.

Was there a point to Ray Wise?

The season had both a negative atmospheric and visual tone. It looked washed out, like a DCEU film.

I watched this season after the third season of Better Call Saul. Both shows have had three seasons of ten episodes, 30 episodes each. Judging based on their first two seasons, I would've said Fargo was the much better show. But Better Call Saul had an incredible third season, it's not even a contest between their third seasons.

After watching the first six episodes Wednesday, I knew this season was never going to reach the heights of the first two seasons, but I at least hoped we would see a gruesome death for Varga and somehow a satisfying ending, so I watched the remaining four episodes and finished the season yesterday. That "5 years later" thing and non-ending with Varga was laughably bad. I am sick of this open-ended, non-ending bullsh*t. I would be more okay with Varga getting away, than the "maybe he's caught, maybe he's free" crap. So many films and series try to have two endings, two possibilities, a positive and a negative...and it's boring and worse of all...unoriginal. I had a streak of shows with new seasons lately, The Leftovers, American Gods, and Better Call Saul, all great original shows unlike most other crap on TV. But I was more excited and looking forward to Fargo than any of those, thinking it would be the best of the bunch. I was so disappointed. When Fargo ends, I had planned to rewatch the series in chronological order, (so far, S2-film-S1-S3), but after this season, I don't know if I will, or if I'll bother with this season. Of course I will watch future seasons, being an anthology series and all, but my enthusiasm has been curbed.

Speaking of future seeason, I read an article with Noah Hawley that said it could be three years away! Why can't FX continue without him? It's based on the Coen brothers film, and they change the cast each season, so why not the writers/directors? I know you could have a radically different season, but isn't that better than waiting three years? I would like to see a season of Fargo by Bryan Fuller, for example, or oddball pick, Charlie Kaufman.

"Mister, we're not friends. I mean, maybe we will be someday. But I gotta say, if that were me in your position? I would have killed that man."

David Thewlis and his sick mates made this series for me absolute class

I mean in the police station. He just ran out into the hallway and the incoming cops didn't see him.

Well it's a very small criticism tbf, I would say some of the stuff that Malvo got up to. In series one was equally if not more unrealistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭el diablo

Also agree that the ending was poor. Ewan McGregor is an awful actor. We'll have to wait a year to find out if Varga gets away or not.
    :p

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭secman

Really enjoyed season 2 it was a brilliant watch....but season 3 was "paint drying " viewing , gsve up afyer episode 3... dire all together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

el diablo wrote: »
    Also agree that the ending was poor. Ewan McGregor is an awful actor. We'll have to wait a year to find out if Varga gets away or not.
    :p

No, we won't. The next season will have nothing to do with this season.

Overall it was decent but badly let down by the final episode.

secman wrote: »
    Really enjoyed season 2 it was a brilliant watch....but season 3 was "paint drying " viewing , gsve up afyer episode 3... dire all together.

it was class esp the two episodes directed by irish lady

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Just finished. The ending felt like a cliffhanger but wiki says a fourth season is on hiatus until they come up for an idea for it.

The slaughtering of Vargas goons was well set up.

The killing of Nikkia and the cop and then Glorias reaction felt very Fargo :)

They explored some cool ideas and led me down some deep googling rabbit holes which I never found the end of.

Elvisjuice wrote: »
    saying this season was muck is pure scutter thought it was class , not quite as good as season two . But calling it muck get a ****ing grip .
    That doesn't argue against my points, you know. Okay, you disagree, but so? My post was voicing my displeasure of the season and my reasons, but your post is just "I disagree". Okay now.

This season was like being forced to drink a man's piss, and not fighting back. At all, in any way. Tough to swallow.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭briany

I just thought V.M. Varga was an absolutely excellent character. Thewlis was superb.

That last scene was up there among the best scenes in the series so far. There's none that stand out to me, right now, that top it, but that could well be just because I haven't watched the other seasons in a while.

Ewan McGregor was also great. Didn't think his character deserved what happened at any point of the show.

Just one question - what was the significance of the opening scene in episode 1? Didn't have any standout link, to my mind.

briany wrote: »

Just one question - what was the significance of the opening scene in episode 1? Didn't have any standout link, to my mind.

It was deliberately shot to mirror the last scene, they are very similar, Not sure what to take away from them though, I suppose you could take it as an indication that Varga will get off the hook again as in the first scene it didn't matter that the guy was obviously telling, the truth his fate had already been decided. In the final scene Carrie Coons character is telling the truth but it doesn't matter either as Vargas fate has already been decided. A bit of a simplistic way of looking at it but could be what we are supposed to take away.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,948 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Veteran TV writer Ken Levine has written a rant (his term) about the season finale, here, which contains spoilers:
    I'm certainly not saying you have to be a happy ending. It can be unsettling, sad, horrific, shocking, surprising, hopeful, weird, wistful – whatever. And you don’t have to tie up every loose end. You don’t have to wrap everything up in a pretty package. But give us SOMETHING. And I’m sorry but characters killing each other off like ducks in a shooting gallery is not SOMETHING.

Sometimes you can be just too artsy, too quirky, too clever for your own good.

They just lost one viewer. And Emmy vote.
    I've been recording the series from C4, am two episodes in so far, and I think I'll stop there. It's slow in an way that the original movie wasn't. McGregor's accents, both of them, are kicking me out of the story every time he opens his mouth. Mary Elizabeth WInstead (Nikki) is good but she hasn't had much to work with so far - like, why is she with that loser in the first place? Just to wreck his head with stunts like
    the tampon incident
    ?

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement

That doesn't argue against my points, you know. Okay, you disagree, but so? My post was voicing my displeasure of the season and my reasons, but your post is just "I disagree". Okay now.

This season was like being forced to drink a man's piss, and not fighting back. At all, in any way. Tough to swallow.

suck up the piss so and mind the dribbles

Advertisement