Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dropbox email scam

Options
  • 19-05-2016 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi

I got an email from a hotel I had been in contact with recently saying they had used dropbox to share files. When I clicked the link it asked for my email and password which is when I realised it wasn't a genuine email.

I am totally clueless and unfortunately I'm not convinced the people I was talking to from the hotel knew for sure what they were dealing with. Am I right in thinking as long as I didn't put in any details that my email/phone will be ok?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

layla7 wrote: »
    Hi

I got an email from a hotel I had been in contact with recently saying they had used dropbox to share files. When I clicked the link it asked for my email and password which is when I realised it wasn't a genuine email.

I am totally clueless and unfortunately I'm not convinced the people I was talking to from the hotel knew for sure what they were dealing with. Am I right in thinking as long as I didn't put in any details that my email/phone will be ok?

You'll be grand. I got the same email from a property auctioneer dating I had approval for something. It's a phishing email looking for your email and password. If you didn't enter it you'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 layla7

Thanks a million for that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

layla7 wrote: »
    Thanks a million for that!

No problem. To be fair it was a very good effort as a scam. Made me think.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,438 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I got something similar recently purporting to be from an online outdoor store I had recently bought something from, except this time it was a document on Google Drive which mimicked the Google login page.

Again, it was a clever attempt and nearly caught me out.

Advertisement