Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belvelly Castle (Cobh)

Options
  • 17-05-2016 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭

Just being inquisitive (nosey) but does anyone know what is happening with Belvelly Castle? I drive past every day and it's fantastic seeing this restoration work, walls being built outside of it on river side, a lot of scaffolding, so I'm wondering is it being turned into a private dwelling or maybe for commercial use i.e. a restaurant?

Thanks, J :)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I cycle past there sometimes and had been hoping I could chat to one of the builders to see what it was going to be. But I usually cycle on the weekends, so haven't had the chance yet.

I know the place had been sold a few years back, but have never noticed a planning notice. I'm very curious, too, but I guess it'll be turned into a private residence.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

Hi Shenshen - yes, was hoping to pull in and ask also - but there's always a load of traffic behind me, so haven't been able to. I've asked around and nobody knows what's going on.

Now that the scaffolding is much higher I too think a private residence, especially when you can now see space for windows have been added on the ground floor area (at least I never remember seeing them before).

We'll all have to stay tuned in - but if I hear anything I'll add to this.

Happy cycling :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭ofcork

A quick google brings up sites saying it was sold was up at 275k.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

When I stopped at the castle 3 years ago to have a look at it (as a tourist in your country), a notice on the wall read that it was a private property and that any access should have been granted with a written permission by the owner.
    So I reckon that after three years the owner has begun the restoration works to turn the castle into a private residence, though I wouldn't like to live in a house on a bend of a very busy road.

Judes wrote: »
    Now that the scaffolding is much higher I too think a private residence, especially when you can now see space for windows have been added on the ground floor area (at least I never remember seeing them before).

I was thinking that last Saturday! I normally take a bit of a break there, have some water and take in the scenery. Bit more tricky now, with the site all fenced off. But I was sitting on the little wall by the water looking at the tower and trying to remember if that big square window had always been there.

They're doing a good job, though. If you didn't know it you'd think the window openings were original.

• Advertisement

ofcork wrote: »
    A quick google brings up sites saying it was sold was up at 275k.

I remember back 2009 it had a big For Sale sign up, and the asking price was 350k :D

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Pitcairn

Nice to see.

This is on the planning file for the site:
    Restoration of and alterations to a ruined tower house, including reconstruction of battlements and slate roof for use as a dwelling, to include a separate garage and boiler room, a new boundary wall, new vehicular entrance and a proprietary sewage treatment system & all associated site works.

Thanks for update Petcairn - they're mad busy working away - that will be some private dwelling - ooh to get a look inside when it's finished :)

Judes wrote: »
    Thanks for update Petcairn - they're mad busy working away - that will be some private dwelling - ooh to get a look inside when it's finished :)

I stopped there yesterday on the bike. Now the scaffolding is up it actually gives you a much better idea of just how tall it is. It'll be at least 5 floors inside, I'm guessing.
    I'd love to see the inside once it's finished - you don't think they've roped in Grand Designs or Restoration Man by any chance? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭ofcork

Photo of it on the examiner yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 number 26

I googled Belvelly Castle a Cobh as it too interested me. A link to PremierProperties Ireland.com came up with plans of the development. The developers names and the clients names.

As I have less than 25 posts in here, I am unable to attach the link or a photo of the plans. But if you google, you should be able too find it easily enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,534 ✭✭✭kub

number 26 wrote: »
    I googled Belvelly Castle a Cobh as it too interested me. A link to PremierProperties Ireland.com came up with plans of the development. The developers names and the clients names.

As I have less than 25 posts in here, I am unable to attach the link or a photo of the plans. But if you google, you should be able too find it easily enough.

Here hopefully this helps:

http://www.premierpropertiesireland.com/index.php/2014/10/belvelly-castle-cobh-county-cork-e-275000/#sthash.cG0JTeO7.dpbs

And now they've cut a big arched window into stone higher up which will let in a huge amount of light. This place will be amazing when completed. (Wonder will there be a glass roof.

And now they've cut a big arched window into stone higher up which will let in a huge amount of light. This place will be amazing when completed. (Wonder will there be a glass roof).

Advertisement