Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UCD accommodation

• 03-05-2016 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭

My son is hoping to start in UCD this coming September and am worried about getting accommodation.

On campus would be ideal but it is very expensive. Where are the best areas for students and what is the best way to go about getting him somewhere?

He doesn't want to live with a family, he would be better to be in with other 1st years if possible to get the full college experience.

Any help for a stressed out mammy would be great.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

€6-8k per semester? Jesus they've gone off the deep end even by Dublin standards.

Lots of students house share in Rathmines, or you could look on any of the bus routes to UCD (one goes west across the south of the city). If he knows any others going to UCD from his school renting together may be a good choice as he won't be playing the housemate lotto.

Really demand is so high getting your choice of area might be impractical and take whatever you can find. Young students are the lowest rung on the tenant ladder.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Are some of his friends also going to UCD? They could look to rent together. Daft have a student accommodation section. Currently the landlords are looking to rent them out for the summer which is why you see so many "available for 3 months" ads.

It might be worth finding a few and sending messages to the landlords to see if they have a room free for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

http://www.collegecribs.ie/

http://www.getdigs.ie/

you may find digs a cheaper option, meals included, no lease and generally dont pay for weeks your student is at home,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Are some of his friends also going to UCD? They could look to rent together. Daft have a student accommodation section. Currently the landlords are looking to rent them out for the summer which is why you see so many "available for 3 months" ads.

It might be worth finding a few and sending messages to the landlords to see if they have a room free for next year.

Thanks,that might be a good idea. The problem is that he had been talking about him and his girlfriend moving in together and while I have no problem with them living together in principle, I don't think it is a good idea for first year in college. I think that he needs to be immersed in the experience of friends and college and if he is living with her, they may not both get the best out of it. I prefer if they can have their own space in 1st year and in 2nd year if they are still together, work away. She is going to Dun Laoighaire so will only be down the road.

cassid wrote: »
    http://www.collegecribs.ie/

http://www.getdigs.ie/

you may find digs a cheaper option, meals included, no lease and generally dont pay for weeks your student is at home,

No. I don't want him in digs. He is an adult. Part of the college experience in my opinion is that you go and live an independent life not be mammied by someone else.

Anyway, he won't have me to come home to at weekends as I will be moving abroad in the new year. He will have his grandparents but there is no way he would be home every weekend. Even if I was here I would be annoyed if he came home every weekend. He needs a life.

Advertisement