Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Foie Gras suggestions

• 26-04-2016 7:24pm
    Site Banned Posts: 6 Pico Lang

My buddy was kind enough to bring me a large pot of FG from his travels to France. So far I have been spooning it atop steaks and melting in a bit.

Any other suggestions ? My brother suggested with rice or couscous
    Post edited by Mystery Egg on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,993 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Is it the whole liver or a Pate? No doubt the subject of this thread will produce a bit of banter

• Site Banned Posts: 6 Pico Lang

duploelabs wrote: »
    Is it the whole liver or a Pate? No doubt the subject of this thread will produce a bit of banter

Whole liver in a jar

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭rodge68

Don'tuse now and don't use it again !! It should be banned !!
    Disgusting exploitation of animals.

We are both probably going to get abuse over this Subject !

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Mod Note: rodge68, and everyone else, the OP did not ask for a lecture or for your feelings on the product. Please stick to recipes and food suggestions only. This will be the only warning.

Pico Lang wrote: »
    Whole liver in a jar

Make up some crisp breads with caraway seeds, the sear and flambé in calvados 15mm thick slices, serve with a sour berry sorbet

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 6 Pico Lang

Make up some crisp breads with caraway seeds, the sear and flambé in calvados 15mm thick slices, serve with a sour berry sorbet

Sorbet? Chilled?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Sorbet? Chilled?

Yeah. The sorbet that is.

Nice contrast

Sorbet? Chilled?

Yep, adds a cool sour foil to the cleanse the palate from the sweet rich liver

Stheno wrote: »
    Yeah. The sorbet that is.

Nice contrast

The crisp there to give a texture contrast too

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I've never seen it with rice or couscous. I'd be using it to finish a steak like yourself or simply with nice crackers and a good Chablis.

It's yonks since I had some and you've just put the going on me. Enjoy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Traditional for me. Thinly sliced flambéed in Calvados as a starter with a good chilled glass of Sauternes. I'll be back over with the in laws at the end of July in France and the MiL homemade foie gras is one of the culinary highlights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Sorry Duplo but I hate the influences American fusion notions have on good food. They have some great product but no idea on how to create a good dish. Why bastardize a great product like FG ?

For starters, when foie gras comes in a jar is inevitably is a cooked piece of liver surrounded by a pâté of (hopefully) foie gras. The price paid dictates the size of the piece and the quality of the pâté. If cheap it might even be duck liver with a duck/pork pâté. If you slice it and put it on a pan it will melt and you will be left with a lumpy piece surrounded by a gooey mess. Dip the jar in hot water, turn it over gently (the heat needs to warm the surface adhering to the jar allowing it to slip out. Serve it cold with toasted brioche.

Pâté de foie gras deserves respect, and should be treated accordingly. I could easily understand/imagine the earthy nuttiness of pine nuts, or even toasted sesame seeds with FG, but the overpowering flavours of caraway, calvados and a berry sorbet? Yuck! What jumble of flavours is going on there?! Less is more. ( If you really want to add seesd, for fresh FG, sear it quickly in butter, remove from pan, add in seeds and deglaze with a small spoon of good aceto balsamico, serve on a simple slice of lightly toasted brioche. If you want to, omit the balsamico and use calva instead. Toast the sesame/pine nuts first. The balsamico/sesame works well with chicken livers, - for a main. served on a bed of noodles rather than toast.

Using FG for a boeuf en croute is a disgraceful waste.

Personally I do not like Sauternes with FG, it is too sweet with an already rich dish. Nor do I like the idea of a Chablis, too crisp. (And there is Chablis and Chablis!) A decent sec (or extra dry) champagne cuts the fattiness, as do some of the wines from Alsace or Germany like a good pinot gris or a riesling – FG needs some acidity IMO to contrast. If you really want to impress, follow with a calvados sorbet, served in a cognac glass that also contains a measure of calva.

Sorry Duplo but I hate the influences American fusion notions have on good food. They have some great product but no idea on how to create a good dish. Why bastardize a great product like FG ?

It's derived from a dish I'd in a 3 star michelin place in the south of france!!! American fusion me hole. Stick to the business threads mate

It's derived from a dish I'd in a 3 star michelin place in the south of france!!! American fusion me hole. Stick to the business threads mate
    Which one? I cannot imagine Passedat or Guerard doing something like that! Was it Donkell? Never eaten there.

And I hate broccolli also.:P

I've upset poor old duplo and she won’t respond. I should have noticed ‘derived’ in her post, obvious that it was ‘her take’ on something rather than the real deal.

For those who are interested/bothered to learn, the Larousse Gastronomique has almost five pages on foie gras, with dozens of recipes and caraway is not mentioned in one of them. I can relax now, the world of honest cuisine has not gone mad!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I've upset poor old duplo and she won’t respond. I should have noticed ‘derived’ in her post, obvious that it was ‘her take’ on something rather than the real deal.

For those who are interested/bothered to learn, the Larousse Gastronomique has almost five pages on foie gras, with dozens of recipes and caraway is not mentioned in one of them. I can relax now, the world of honest cuisine has not gone mad!

Mod Note: You're new to our forum, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. This is a community where everyone is welcome to offer their suggestions. We absolutely do not allow goading of other posters, or ridiculing their suggestions. We work on the assumption that everyone is an amateur cook, so all suggestions are valid and do not need citations or anything else to 'support' them. If you'd like an academic discussion on caraway and foie gras (or anything else, for that matter), I'm sure there's a forum for it somewhere, but it's not here.

Faith wrote: »
    Mod Note: You're new to our forum, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. ..........so all suggestions are valid and do not need citations or anything else to 'support' them. ........I'm sure there's a forum for it somewhere, but it's not here.

Thanks for the clarification. If all suggestions are valid and must be taken as gospel obviously I've come to the wrong place to learn anything so I won't trouble you again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Thanks for the clarification. If all suggestions are valid and must be taken as gospel obviously I've come to the wrong place to learn anything so I won't trouble you again.

Mod Note: Good, I'm not sure you're the right fit for these forums given the tone you've adopted. Cheerio.

I've had it in France OP served with a rich jam concoction* (similar to what you might serve with duck) and a good homemade warm bread. I think the simpler the better. It really is a celebration meal/course of the confit in itself. I'd be loathe to waste it on top of a steak or something like that.

*(blackcurrent jam, a strong robust wine or port, black pepper and salt, reduced down and left to cool)

onion marmalade would also work well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

I love foie gras. It sounds like yours has been cooked in the jar. It will only keep for a limited time now that it's open. Does it say d'oie, canard, entier, or mi-cuit anywhere on the labelling?

I think it's best when luke-warm and served with a contrast of textures and flavours. For me that is usually seared briefly (awkward for a jarred product unless you decant the whole thing to slice it), a toasted bread and a sharp sauce of some kind like the aforementioned concoctions. It can also be superb heated very gently in the oven and served with wedges of Granny Smith apples that you've fried in butter with a tablespoon of sugar. Serve with a rocket salad and good bread to balance the meal. Cornichons (cocktail gherkins), are a nice foil as well. A glass of chilled Muscat de Rivesaltes and you're in heaven.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Lil Fred

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,552 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Zombie thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement