Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballincollig - "Westpark Hotel" Site

Options
  • 18-04-2016 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭

I think it's such a shame that the hotel closed and the site has become so derelict in recent years - the Pharmacy being the only business remaining. Even if the entire place was painted (get rid of the white!) it may not look so bad. The old Boyles unit had a "rented" sign on it last year, but nothing went in.

Does anyone know if there are any plans for these units? Apparently it still has the alcohol licence.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭thejuggler

Agreed it had a few tenants a few years ago (ACME blinds and a convenience store) but both closed. i did notice that the owner has boarded up the vacant units recently (for security purposes I assume)

Its a shame it hasn't worked out - not sure why as the units have convenient parking. I guess the Doctors surgery on the link road nearby keeps the chemist going.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 maloneavic

Agree on both the above posts, real shame that none of the units bar the chemist are not been rented out.

I think Nama had the other units but they have been passed on now to another crowd.

That centra shop still has all the shelving and fridges etc in it and i myself was actually interested in it and the old bookies to but no one seems to know who is in control of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

That shop would have been great if it wasn't for the guy who owned it! He had Dailys in Douglas too and both shops closed around the same time.

The rear (closed off) car park is totally overrun with (giant) weeds now. I'd love to see the units occupied and the place active.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bigbrotherfan

In fairness, with a large Aldi store so nearby, it wouldn't be easy for a shop like that to survive. It's a pity about the condition of the place though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 maloneavic

True and with a Mac Donalds also opened up it would be tough but i think the reason behind the shop was that a lot of the school kids would go in there on their breaks and also with the big estates behind the units it would tip away, margins in shops are tight but it is defo a runner if overheads and margins are correct.

Shame about the other units tho as i would be interested in one of them but everyone i have emailed etc no one seems to know what is going to happen with them but defo no sign soon of them been up for lease which is crazy as any rent is some rent.

The fella who had the Centra shop did indeed lease john dalys centra in douglas but owed him a few quid and just stopped paying his rent and closed both shops, soon after the owner of dalys in douglas had the shop back open again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭mrshappy

From what I was told they went to Nama. Receivers have them and it's really only when Nama tell them to sell on stuff that they can start opening units like this again. Receivers are in no hurry - they are getting a monthly wage for 'managing' such properties. Desperate shame though. I remember the old Powdermill Hotel - it was a fab place

I saw a guy at one of the rear units a few weeks ago. He appeared to be measuring door. Hopefully a sign something might be happening...

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bigbrotherfan

I saw a guy at one of the rear units a few weeks ago. He appeared to be measuring door. Hopefully a sign something might be happening...

Let us know if you hear any more.

There was a bit of activity yesterday when I was passing. The wooden hoarding had been taken down from the two units facing you as you drive in, and also the units at the rear. There were a few guys there walking around, so fingers crossed it won't be an abandoned eyesore for long more.

Let us know if you hear any more.

Heard today (fairly reliable source) that Iceland is moving into the site.

• Advertisement

Planning permission requested for housing - 4x semi detached and 1 detached. At the rear of the site / old hotel car park.

Advertisement