Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sci Fi movie recommendations

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Sunshine
    Battle Beyond the Stars (cheesey but enjoyable imo)
    Tron(original)
    Fortress (cheesey but enjoyable imo)
    Alien Nation (the film)
    Timecop
    Equillibrium

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Equilibrium
    Edge of Tomorrow
    Childhoods End
    Event Horizon
    Battlestar Galactica reboot
    Serenity

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Close Encounters of the Third Kind

Alien

Oblivion

Gattaca

Lonely Planet

The Day the Earth Stood Still (Lucas paid homage in Star Wars by naming three characters Klaatu, Barada and Nikto)

Star Wars IV, V and VI

Star Trek

Event Horizon

Minority Report

28 Days Later

The Martian

Interstellar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Source Code is a brilliant film.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭seamusk84

Another mention for Europa Report here. It's fantastic and for the budget they had it is some feat.

Elysium is great film too, and a great encore to District 9.

The film version of Stephen Kings The Mist is definitely worth a watch. Not sure if it is on netflicks but I think the full film is on YouTube.

Moon is fantastic. I love the final scene.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

The Thing (John Carpenter's one, not the re-remake)

that is actually a remake itself

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Quandary

Westworld - starring Yul Brynner

Really enjoyed that movie. Genuine eerie feel to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Skerries wrote: »
    that is actually a remake itself

yep, from a 1950's classic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

we forgot to mention mad max 1 and 2

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Transcendence

And mentioned earlier, Sunshine (actually didn't like this one when it came out but watched it again recently and really liked it)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭KrakityJones

Didn't see it mentioned yet : Looper (Bruce Willis time travel movie)

Another excellent time travel movie - Predestination with Ethan Hawke is well worth a watch, one of the few time travel movies where it's very hard to pick holes in (well I thought anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭saneman

Some great recommendations already and only cos I haven't seen them mentioned:

Contact (or "Jodie Foster & the signal from space")

2010 (2001's sequel with Roy Scheider, a solid movie it it's own right, and ties up some of the loose ends)

Enemy Mine (Dennis Quaid does "Hell in the Pacific" with an unrecognisable Louis Gossett Jr)

Dark City (Matrix-esque, actually vice versa, Dark City was out first)

Outland (Sean Connery's marshal keeps the peace on a mining facility on Jupiter's Io)

Animatrix (a collection of animated shorts based on The Matrix universe, put the sequels to shame...even more)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind. You can argue this one but technically it has a science fiction premise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Flight of the Navigator.

I win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

saneman wrote: »
    Some great recommendations already and only cos I haven't seen them mentioned:

Contact (or "Jodie Foster & the signal from space")

2010 (2001's sequel with Roy Scheider, a solid movie it it's own right, and ties up some of the loose ends)

Enemy Mine (Dennis Quaid does "Hell in the Pacific" with an unrecognisable Louis Gossett Jr)

Dark City (Matrix-esque, actually vice versa, Dark City was out first)

Outland (Sean Connery's marshal keeps the peace on a mining facility on Jupiter's Io)

Animatrix (a collection of animated shorts based on The Matrix universe, put the sequels to shame...even more)

All great shouts here. Outland is a sort of remake of High Noon and I really enjoyed it. For camp value and sticking with the Sean connery theme, Zardoz is pretty entertaining and has been riffed on by a bunch of stuff including Rick and Morty.

Any fans of Sci-Fi could do well to check out the documentary Jodorowsky's Dune - what might have been but wasn't, and the legacy it left in all the Sci-Fi movies that followed is pretty special.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Don't think it's been mentioned, but i'd recommend Pandorum. It's sci-fi horror, with the always good Ben Foster. Set on an abandoned ship after a crew member wakes up from cryo.

It's probably not a good movie, but i enjoyed it :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 20 Greys0n

I Robot is the best

• Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭Doodah7

I don't see Logan's Run mentioned?? All hail The Carousel!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Primer - lowest budget possible with highest amount of concentration needed to follow it.
    Upstream Color (Same Director as primer - equally as great)
    Melancholia (technically Sci-fi-ish!)
    Cloverfield (Sci-fi / Horror or both?)
    Coherence - great parallel universe drama done Cloverfield style.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

We forgot Cronenberg

The Fly
    Videodrome
    existenz
    scanners

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Dredd is very good, gets Judge Dredd pretty spot on compared to Sylvster Stallones attempt at it.

Sorry, but you must be mistaken; there is only one Judge Dredd film. No such attempt was made back in the 1990s.

Also, nobody has yet mentioned:

Also, for those of you who likeed Battlestar Galactica, Blood & Chrome is worth a look. A crying shame that ScyFy axed the show before the pilot was even aired, so it's just a film in itself rather than the start of a series.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Original Russian "Solaris" and "2010: Odyssey Two" are great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

I'm sure it's been mentioned but Moon is an excellent film with a tiny budget for sci fi. It also features mainly practical effects which is very rare these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭seamusk84

That 1902 French silent movie - a trip to the moon.
    The colour version is on netflicks and YouTube with music by Air. It's only about 15 minutes long....love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭D.S.

Some great recommendations here. A few potential 'below the radar' recommendations for people who get through the films in here so far. These are more the 'B' movie variety, for you once you get through the 'A' list.

THX 1138 - (1971) - George Lucas at his best. Storyline is fairly basic but the cinematography is fantastic. Dystopian thriller set a few centuries ahead - v Orwellian - echoes of Blade Runner.

'If you feel you are not properly sedated, call 348-844 immediately. Failure to do so may result in prosecution for criminal drug evasion.'

Attack the Block (2011) - Hilarious comedy set in London from the Shaun of the Dead crew with John Boyega of now star wars fame.

'Nobody is ever going to call you Mayhem if you keep acting like such a pussy'.

Solvent Green (1971) - Another dystopian thriller with Charleton Heston. His best movie.

Only quote worth giving is a huge plot spoiler!

Automata (2014) - does not get amazing reviews (like the rest on this list) but I liked it. Another dystopian thriller, v much channeling blade runner. Thought the cinematography / production value was great. Antonio Banderas was good though the state of Melanie Griffiths was worth the view alone. She's had a lotta work done (she plays two roles here, so not not referring to the robot version).

Also - disappointing that we are over 50 posts in and I am pretty sure i haven't seen Flash Gordon or Masters of the Universe mentioned yet! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Anybody watched Love? It'd tick this threads boxes, low budget sky fai head melter and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I liked Ender's Game

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Some that (I think) haven't been mentioned:

Total Recall: Typical Phillip K Dick paranoia fueled Sci Fi with Arnie.

The Thirteenth Floor: Late 90's flick that flew under the radar. Really enjoyed this one.

Bicentennial Man: Starring Robin Williams based on a story by another Sci Fi heavyweight, Isaac Asimov. Really pulled me in emotionally. Charming film.

Seconds - 60's film featuring the legendary Rock Hudson. Not sure if it can be entirely considered a sci fi but has some sci fi elements. Great look to the film.

Frequency - Time travel related movie. It's not amazing but I didn't regret watching it either.

Strange Days - Another 90s one directed by Kathryn Bigelow

Not a film but the Black Mirror television series has some terrific sci fi episodes. They're essentially a movie imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

longshanks wrote: »
    Anybody watched Love? It'd tick this threads boxes, low budget sky fai head melter and all that.

Forgot about that! Totall flew under the radar and was very impressed with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Voltairey

I just got a mad urge to invent a trilogy

Equilibrium followed by In Time and finish it off with Gattaca.

I'll let you know how it goes but I'm loving it already.

Advertisement