Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for educated guesses from the experts here

• 13-04-2016 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭

I'm wondering when will we get a few days of over 14C, but none of the long-range forecasts suggest that this is imminent. The problem is that I want to check my bees, but I don't want to open the hive if it's still too cold since that won't do them any good at all. If we had a good day where the sun raised the air temp above 14 for even a short time, that might work, but even that seems beyond the reach of the weather gods.

Any suggestions from your long-range models?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,207 ✭✭✭✭fits

It would probably go over 14 in the sunshine these days. Just wait until the sun comes out? Are they in a sunny spot?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,492 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Most likely scenario is next week when the sun will produce warm days whilst clear skies will produce chilly nights. At the moment, it doesn't look like much as from Friday through the weekend, a northerly airstream (winds from the Arctic) looks like taking place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

Thanks for the info.

The hives get good sun, but it really needs to be above 14C. From yr.no I see it could hit 13C today and, with a little luck, it might even hit the magic 14 although I'm not optimistic. And, according to met.ie, next week won't be much good either. That pushes the bees back almost a month over last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,776 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I've noticed a big upsurge in wild bees in the last few days around Dublin if thats any indication, bumble bees rather than honey bees though mainly, I guess they are better insulated!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭pauldry

High Pressure is trying to exert its influence for the 2nd half of April but with a few bumps

Nevertheless 14c should be attainable on a number of days though id imagine the further South you are the better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,492 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

pauldry wrote: »
    High Pressure is trying to exert its influence for the 2nd half of April but with a few bumps

Nevertheless 14c should be attainable on a number of days though id imagine the further South you are the better

And literally all of us predicted about 18-20c in the contest as a maximum for April? :o:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Slieve Gullion

Wait until June but even then you can't be sure. Our summers are a buzz killer. Keep your busy eye on the thermometer is your best bet.

Advertisement