Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mercedes S-Class W221

• 12-04-2016 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Hi all

Not quite cheap enough for the Luxobarge thread so said I'd post here. Have fancied a W221 since they were first released and seeing more and more pop up for under €10k.

I'd always thought the S320 would be the way to go but there seems to be significantly more attractive S350s in terms of mileage and apart from the difference in road tax (€1,809 v €1,494), I'm under the impression that they're both similarly dreadful in the MPG department anyway.

These ones are a bit over €10k but very low mileage for the years:
    2006, 59k miles, €11,750:
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/mercedes-benz/s-class/used-2006-mercedes-benz-s-class-n-wicklow-fpa-201214577166071590
    2006, 68k miles, €11,250
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/mercedes-benz/s-class/used-2006-mercedes-benz-s-class-s-dublin-fpa-200714583027679450

Example of one under €10k:
    2006, 123k miles, LPG converted, €8,945
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/06-mercedes-s350-auto-gas-conversion-70mpg/11832814

I like the fact that it's very possible to pick up a one-owner model, and my presumption is that whoever bought it from new for €100k+ has looked after it for the 10 years they've had it, especially the lower mileage ones, and are less likely to have spared any expense.

Anyone have any idea about reliability on the S350 or S320? Obviously any car that cost over 100k new is going to be pricey to fix so my goal would be to find one that is least likely to cost thousands in repairs, and I'm guessing my best bet would be a low mileage one (although I understand that if it has potentially just been sitting around for months/years not running up miles that this could be very bad).
    Do you reckon an S350 with 60k miles on the clock would be preferable to an S320 diesel with 120k?

Would greatly appreciate any thoughts on these and any opinions about reliability or current value!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭ofcork

I think electronic issues came up on them heard of one that used to lock its owner out!

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭what recession?

ofcork wrote: »
    I think electronic issues came up on them heard of one that used to lock its owner out!
    Not ideal! I used to know someone who had one from new and the drivers' window stopped working after about 6 months... assumed it was just his one! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭ofcork

You would want a full check over done on one before buying would love one with AMG alloys best looking s class since the W126 of the 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

OP might i suggest looking at s500's also , your already in the highest tax band, insurance and fuel consumption won't be very far off, but you get a higher standard spec and a lot more horsies to play with.

OP might i suggest looking at s500's also , your already in the highest tax band, insurance and fuel consumption won't be very far off, but you get a higher standard spec and a lot more horsies to play with.
    Yeah an S500 would be ideal but there's a lot less of them around and sellers understandably want a good bit more for them than a 350. The S350 or S320 would be sufficient for me anyway - spec is generally very good across the board and it'd be a weekend car as I have no need to drive during the week and would be doing very little mileage (mostly in central Dublin, so can't do any decent speeds anyway!) at the weekends.

Anybody have any first hand experience owning one? Am I signing myself up for endless heartbreak & maintenance bills by buying one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

Anybody have any first hand experience owning one? Am I signing myself up for endless heartbreak & maintenance bills by buying one?

No experience here but you are aware of the saying "the most expensive car you can buy is a cheap Merc"?

I'd still be tempted by a 500 or 600 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭king_of_inismac

milltown wrote: »
    No experience here but you are aware of the saying "the most expensive car you can buy is a cheap Merc"?

I'd still be tempted by a 500 or 600 though.

I bought a w211 e320cdi with 250k miles on the clock. It was very well maintained (full MB service history) by one owner and the car has caused me zero hassle.

A cheap well-maintained merc can be a joy! :)

I bought a w211 e320cdi with 250k miles on the clock. It was very well maintained (full MB service history) by one owner and the car has caused me zero hassle.

Yeah I currently have a W211, which I've had for 8 years and it's literally never given a spot of bother - never broken down, etc. Worried that the W221 being a far more technologically advanced car (so many extra things that can break) may not be as trouble free...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,833 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I am also looking at the W221, only thing is, the CLS are not quite off half the price for the same year, same engine, also stunning looking car, I would pay a premium for the S, but the premium is too large IMO...

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I am also looking at the W221, only thing is, the CLS are not quite off half the price for the same year, same engine, also stunning looking car, I would pay a premium for the S, but the premium is too large IMO...

My problem with the first model CLS is that they are basically a fancier E-Class, which I already have! Think they're the same chassis and seats.. dash is a bit different. Still really like the outside of them but couldn't justify changing to one as it's difficult to get one with a spec that's any better than an E-Class anyway (sat nav, heated electric seats, etc). IMO S-Class is a big step up in terms of spec, interior and just general presence, so I would be willing to give a decent premium for one over the CLS, but depends what you're looking for - CLS is still a great car.

They're a lot cheaper these days even from new, back in 2006 when they launched you'd easily have paid €90k for a standard spec CLS320. Think CLS220 starts from €70k now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,833 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

They're a lot cheaper these days even from new, back in 2006 when they launched you'd easily have paid €90k for a standard spec CLS320. Think CLS220 starts from €70k now.
    a big part of that would be VRT I would imagine, the rates are now pretty much half what they would have been on old system... where the top rate was like 36%, they will easily achieve the 18% rate now, even the 6 pots...

I have a bm at present and will keep it, personally I really dont rate the mercs looks wise at all of the early to mid noughties, but the CLS and S class from 06, far superior looks and presence wise to what bmw were putting out...

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Madnash

Hi all

Not quite cheap enough for the Luxobarge thread so said I'd post here. Have fancied a W221 since they were first released and seeing more and more pop up for under €10k.

I'd always thought the S320 would be the way to go but there seems to be significantly more attractive S350s in terms of mileage and apart from the difference in road tax (€1,809 v €1,494), I'm under the impression that they're both similarly dreadful in the MPG department anyway.

These ones are a bit over €10k but very low mileage for the years:
    2006, 59k miles, €11,750:
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/mercedes-benz/s-class/used-2006-mercedes-benz-s-class-n-wicklow-fpa-201214577166071590
    2006, 68k miles, €11,250
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/mercedes-benz/s-class/used-2006-mercedes-benz-s-class-s-dublin-fpa-200714583027679450

Example of one under €10k:
    2006, 123k miles, LPG converted, €8,945
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/06-mercedes-s350-auto-gas-conversion-70mpg/11832814

I like the fact that it's very possible to pick up a one-owner model, and my presumption is that whoever bought it from new for €100k+ has looked after it for the 10 years they've had it, especially the lower mileage ones, and are less likely to have spared any expense.

Anyone have any idea about reliability on the S350 or S320? Obviously any car that cost over 100k new is going to be pricey to fix so my goal would be to find one that is least likely to cost thousands in repairs, and I'm guessing my best bet would be a low mileage one (although I understand that if it has potentially just been sitting around for months/years not running up miles that this could be very bad).
    Do you reckon an S350 with 60k miles on the clock would be preferable to an S320 diesel with 120k?

Would greatly appreciate any thoughts on these and any opinions about reliability or current value!

Did you buy the Mercedes benz after. I also like them and spoke to an owner of a 2010 s350 LWB and he uses it for chauffer work. He did advise me not to by any under 2009

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Madnash

Hi there, I know this thread is old but I only recently saw it. How are you getting on with your s 320cdi.Any problems so far.

Advertisement