Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

College Green Plaza -- public consultation open

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭cgcsb

An awkward process of trying to get there super early in the morning or using the 2 available loading bays on one of the side streets and carting your wares down the street hundreds of meters past the homeless drug addicts. Some units have rear accessoble yards but not most.

In ancipation of your answer I 100% thought, 'ok well there's no way he's gonna mention junkies in this post' but then boom, there it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Qrt

The southbound carriageway of O’Connell Street could be pedestrianised, with the northbound carriageway’s two lanes changed to opposing Bus Lanes. Introduce some bike lanes and you’d have a nice street*

*best wait until the Metro and proposed redevelopments happen tho.

Qrt wrote: »
    The southbound carriageway of O’Connell Street could be pedestrianised, with the northbound carriageway’s two lanes changed to opposing Bus Lanes. Introduce some bike lanes and you’d have a nice street*

*best wait until the Metro and proposed redevelopments happen tho.
    I like this but would plough on with college green and bus connects first rather than overcomplicating them at this stage.

Metro won't have an impact really because the station box is to be on the Carlton site

• Registered Users Posts: 13,848 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Grafton St is pretty packed at 1am on a Saturday, its a main route for people to walk to the nightclubs of Harcourt St. Even at 3 or 4am there is still a lot of pedestrians on it.

You need to put on your 1970s goggles.

If we reopen Grafton Street to cars we can accommodate a small number of people at the expense of a much larger number of people and add more pollution in to the city air.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Zebra3 wrote: »

If we reopen Grafton Street to cars we can accommodate a small number of people at the expense of a much larger number of people and add more pollution in to the city air.

The really ironic thing about it is that if we were mad enough to actually do this, it wouldn't even accommodate that small number of people. The street would immediately fill up permanently with cars, bottleneck at the top, and car drivers would be left sitting in their own fumes complaining about the traffic and how they could get out and walk quicker. Yay, let's do that :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Where would they be going anyway? Can't go south on SSG, and east on SSG just brings you to the exact same place that Kildare Street would. I mean, this is clearly just trolling, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Agree completely. In fact we should make Grafton Street into a 24 hour HGV only lane. And just to make things fair pedestrians can have access to it on Christmas Day and Good Fridays.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,848 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Agree completely. In fact we should make Grafton Street into a 24 hour HGV only lane. And just to make things fair pedestrians can have access to it on Christmas Day and Good Fridays.

Might tweet that to the moronic DCC cllr that RTÉ love having on “for balance”.

Might tweet that to the moronic DCC cllr that RTÉ love having on “for balance”.

You're going to have to narrow it down

• Registered Users Posts: 41 leshamry

MJohnston wrote: »
    You're going to have to narrow it down

Well we all know which website to find the real designs :D

*hint* *hint* :P

• Advertisement

The trial dates are out, last 2 Sundays of July and first Sunday of August.

The pace of progress in Dublin/Ireland, remains infuriating.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 leshamry

cgcsb wrote: »
    The trial dates are out, last 2 Sundays of July and first Sunday of August.

The pace of progress in Dublin/Ireland, remains infuriating.

on the heavy drink...

https://i.imgur.com/4Yd5f8F.jpg

I assume buses will be going through College Green..? Or not?

Might just be north-south, as the plaza plan intends.

If they're able to use the whole thing, then there's not much point in these Sunday closures, as it would demonstrate nothing.

I assume buses will be going through College Green..? Or not?

No, that's the whole point, it's pedestrianisation. ;)

No, that's the whole point, it's pedestrianisation. ;)

...I thought that, but I’ve heard nothing from DB about it? I guess they’ll usually do a week’s notice but still. Any idea where the buses are going?

...I thought that, but I’ve heard nothing from DB about it? I guess they’ll usually do a week’s notice but still. Any idea where the buses are going?

Northbound buses coming up George's st will turn left onto Dame St and continue onto Winetavern st, where they'll continue on the north quays.

Southbound buses will cross O'Connell Bridge and go: D'Olier St, College St., Westmoreland St., Aston Quay, Turn left onto Parliament St., left again onto Dame St. and right onto George's Street

Northbound buses coming up George's st will turn left onto Dame St and continue onto Winetavern st, where they'll continue on the north quays.

Southbound buses will cross O'Connell Bridge and go: D'Olier St, College St., Westmoreland St., Aston Quay, Turn left onto Parliament St., left again onto Dame St. and right onto George's Street

I didn’t know double deckers could deal with Christchurch arch, thanks. I take it buses coming from Cork Street/James Street will use winetavern street too?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Wasn't the rejection of the original plan the question of 600 buses a day (both ways) on Parliament Street?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I am glad they are at least giving it a go. But Sundays are no reflection on weekday rush hours either, for diversion of buses full time I mean.

But hope it goes well anyway, will be great to get a little bit of the city back from traffic.

• Advertisement

I am glad they are at least giving it a go. But Sundays are no reflection on weekday rush hours either, for diversion of buses full time I mean.

But hope it goes well anyway, will be great to get a little bit of the city back from traffic.
    Just as long as you can get into the city using some of that traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭alentejo

I thought it was illegal to turn left from the quays on to parliament street

alentejo wrote: »
    I thought it was illegal to turn left from the quays on to parliament street

It is. But that's easily changed for bus only.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Just as long as you can get into the city using some of that traffic.

I doubt it will be a problem, even long term. Has to be tried, and then sort out the glitches. In fairness it isn't far from North Quays or Dame/Georges Street to the Plaza is it?

The one concern I do have is the choc a bloc nature of buses pulling into Bachelor's Walk, the long distance buses and people unloading their luggage, the skinny pavement there near the chapel. It is a bit crowded alright.

But there is nothing to prevent DB from having some West to East bound buses from stopping near the Winding Stair, that stretch. I thought it was mooted some time back, but I don't think anything happened. It's a no brainer. Spread out the stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Such a turn is not currently possible for any traffic, legally. The sequencing will have to be changed.

Such a turn is not currently possible for any traffic, legally. The sequencing will have to be changed.

Easily done. DCC Traffic Management or something can do it. If they wish.

But maybe taking traffic up Nicholas Street/Patrick Street (as an experiment) would be worth trying.

I doubt it will be a problem, even long term. Has to be tried, and then sort out the glitches. In fairness it isn't far from North Quays or Dame/Georges Street to the Plaza is it?

The one concern I do have is the choc a bloc nature of buses pulling into Bachelor's Walk, the long distance buses and people unloading their luggage, the skinny pavement there near the chapel. It is a bit crowded alright.

But there is nothing to prevent DB from having some West to East bound buses from stopping near the Winding Stair, that stretch. I thought it was mooted some time back, but I don't think anything happened. It's a no brainer. Spread out the stops.
    I'm actually glad it's DB/TFI testing this and not DCC. Had they considered the "glitches" in the first place the vision would have had more hope of being passed. That said there's nothing going on here that could not have been modelled on computer.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I'm actually glad it's DB/TFI testing this and not DCC. Had they considered the "glitches" in the first place the vision would have had more hope of being passed. That said there's nothing going on here that could not have been modelled on computer.

Neither Dublin Bus nor TFI has statutory powers to introduce traffic restrictions.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

They actually conducted modelling, based on average times on multiple trips at different times on multiple days. Hilariously, ABP walked out and conducted one trip, compared that one trip to the average, and said that the modelling was insufficient because it didn't match the single trip they did.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

CatInABox wrote: »
    They actually conducted modelling, based on average times on multiple trips at different times on multiple days. Hilariously, ABP walked out and conducted one trip, compared that one trip to the average, and said that the modelling was insufficient because it didn't match the single trip they did.

The problem with computer modelling is that it does not work. I have said this here many times.

A computer, AI or whatever, cannot predict human behaviour. Its why we binned it! Bollox!

Advertisement