Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NXT Takeover Dallas Thread ** Spoilers**

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I think it was one of the punches Finn caught him with.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Adiboo wrote: »
    What cut Joe?

One of those Demon teeth. They are very sharp on Finn........:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭Lights On

Jesus, how to kill the flow of the match 101 here..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

That ref is the least popular man in the building tonight :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Zemuppet

If this cut gets any worse a new on the fly finish might occur I reckon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Lights On wrote: »
    Jesus, how to kill the flow of the match 101 here..

You can see it's seriously pissing Joe off, unless its life threatening let it go.

"We want Tables"
    "No We don't"

The crowd have been awesome tonight.

Looper007 wrote: »
    unless its life threatening let it go.

Thats the motto of Mick Foleys wrestling school (if he had one!)! :pac:

Joe doesn't look to be bleeding as heavy now, hopefully there won't be more stoppages now.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Zemuppet

Thats the motto of Mick Foleys wrestling school (if he had one!)! :pac:

And if it is life threatening, use it. Any way to get over, use it.

• Advertisement

I dunno if it's because I'm tired, but I cannot stop laughing at that finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Joe's shoulder was up. Don't think it was intentional though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,332 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Pretty big let down that.

Nobody could really follow Nakamura though, he's in a class of his own.

Wasn't a bad match, kinda messed up a little by the blood stoppages.

I was expecting Joe to attack Finn there, and Roode to stop him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭Lights On

Good match, not what it should have been though. Can't help but think those stoppages did a lot of harm to it, especially the spots they stopped them, Joe goes through the ropes onto Finn, cut to the crowd and Finn on the ground for 3 minutes! Still, you'd be hard pressed to find a run of three matches that'll top that this weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

Genuinely wonder if that main event would have been handled differently if Vince wasn't there.

A great match to end the night. Maybe a bit too stop start with the medics but the blood made it more real.

Thought I recognised the ending from somewhere before

Check out 2.41 of this vid. Survivor Series 1996

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Great takeover. Follow that Wrestlemania. The tag match was brilliant, Naka and Zayn was amazing and Bayley and Asuka was class too with a brilliant ending.

Finn and Joe was ok, it was hurt by the stoppages though and the weird ending.

Bret Hart wrote: »
    Great takeover. Follow that Wrestlemania. The tag match was brilliant, Naka and Zayn was amazing and Bayley and Asuka was class too with a brilliant ending.

Finn and Joe was ok, it was hurt by the stoppages though and the weird ending.

I thought Finn and Joe was very solid indeed not perfect but the stoppages did harm it. Didn't have a problem with ending.

Crobin/Aries let down a otherwise very good PPV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Bret don't you remember using that trick to win the Intercontinental Championship from Roddy Piper in the Hoosier Dome back in 1992? That is a very recogniseable finish to me anyway. I really enjoyed Samoa Joe vs. Finn Bálor, Nakamura vs. Zayn and Corbin vs. Aries.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Crunkussion

WWE NXT:

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

Just back in from it. What a flippin show.... If Baron Corbin had of stayed at home it would have been a near perfect card. Crowd was electric. Sammy / Nakamura and the Women's match were unreal. Tag Match was classss.. gona have to watch it again on the network now to see Nakamura's facial expressions. he's a gas boi altogether...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Bret don't you remember using that trick to win the Intercontinental Championship from Roddy Piper in the Hoosier Dome back in 1992? That is a very recogniseable finish to me anyway. I really enjoyed Samoa Joe vs. Finn Bálor, Nakamura vs. Zayn and Corbin vs. Aries.

I've been up now what must be 23 hours,so you'll have too cut me some slack for forgetting the finishes to some of my own matches :p,the Roddy one I shouldn't have considering the weekend that's in it and The White Feather posted the same finish at SS96 v Austin,which I thought of first instead of the Piper match. Weird. Not forgetting also the ending too the women's match as the same as Bret v Austin at WM 13.

Naka and Zayn for me was the match of the night. I just hope the WWE don't **** up the best babyface in the company,if they do,there bigger fools then I thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

I watched it live but decided to take a bit of time to digest it all before posting my thoughts.

Overall I think that show will go down in history as one of the best wrestling PPVs/Special Events of all time. Of the 5 matches the lowest ranked match was 3 1/2 stars. Like just think about that for a second.

American Alpha vs The Revival : What a way to start the show. The ovation for AA was insane. Gable normally gets all the attention but Jason Jordon was the MVP of this match. And seeing just how much it meant to him made it even better. The Revival as always played their part perfectly. So many legit false finishes. A couple of blown spots but thats forgivable. ***3/4

Austin Aries vs Baron Corbin : When this match is booked as the comedown and lead in to a triple main event then you know its a special show. Corbin is getting better all the time and Aries played his part brilliantly. Really enjoyable match I thought and Corbin looked really strong in defeat. This feud will continue ***1/2

Also wanna say seeing Kota Ibushi, Scott Hall, XPac and Bobby Roode in the crowd really added to the atmosphere and the feeling that this was a special night.

Sami Zayn vs Shinsuke Nakamura : Wow!! Seriously just WOW! I wont even attempt to describe this. It was perfect. MOTY *****

Bayley vs Asuka : They had the toughest job of the weekend to follow that match. But god damn did they deliver a fantastic match. Bayley just gets it and Asuka is so damn good. I loved the finish personally and the camera work was superb. Bayleys reign started with a bang and it has ended with a bang. Shes Raw bound no doubt ****1/4

Finn Balor vs Samoa Joe : Texas Chainsaw Demon was brilliant. I loved the addition of blue to the Demon attire. Joe was bleeding a gusher that would have made Dusty proud. The constant stoppages took away a bit from the match but otherwise this was a superb match. I think we can now say for sure that Samoa Joe is back. Following TakeOver London, the Sami match and now this Joe is in his best run of form for over 10 years. The Demon "Hulking Up" at the end was great also and once again even in defeat Joe looked superb. ****

Im so glad I watched this live. NXT is so intriguing now going forward. Finn continues what has been a great run as champ. Asuka has been dominant since arriving so whats next for her? American Alpha will soon have to face Guns&Gallows and TMDK as well as The Revival, Vaudvillians etc. The NXT male roster is just crazy now ; Finn Balor, Samoa Joe, Austin Aries, Baron Corbin, Apollo Crews, Shinsuke Nakamura, Hideo Itami and Bobby Roode (likely). And thats just the top names.

Seriously, if you are not a fan of wrestling and for some reason are reading this. Go watch this show! It may be the most perfect show ever produced.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

An excellent show from top to bottom aand a significant one too as it may have been the farewell of Bayley and Zayn, two NXT stalwarts. I'm not gonna run through the card, my star ratings are basically in line with the majority of what I've seen save for maybe a quarter of a star here and there.

All I'll say is that Nakamura was every inch the megastar we know he can be given the right setting. To be honest the NXT format probably suits him far better than the main roster will. Loved the finish to Asuka/Bayley even if the live crowd were still reeling from the previous match. They could have done with a buffer match in between.

The main event started absolutely white hot. Joe and Balor will have known they had a tough task following the previous 2 matches and the best way to combat that is starting at a canter. This was surely on course to being Balor's best showing in WWE till the constant medical stoppages completely drained the momentum of the match and took the live crowd out of it up until the finishing sequence which was far too abrupt. It's a case of what could have been.

A certain contender for WWE show of the year with Zayn/Nakamura probably a safe bet for WWE MOTY. All in all, it's a must see 2 hours and 30 minutes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Straight Edge Punk

Just watched the last 2 matches, I've run out of superlatives for that event as a whole.

They had 3 matches there last night that will not be beaten by anything on the Mania card.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

First time I have seen a full Nakamura match. Has instantly entered my Top 5. :pac:

He is so, so utterly unique.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Straight Edge Punk

Saying Nakamura will be Funaki is just overtly negative smark discourse. Most NXT guys are brought up these days with their character intact. The real struggle is ending up in five million midcard matches with Ziggler on Raw with no storyline in sight.

It's all well and good to say he will come up with the same character but the problem then is, what do they do with him? Who does he realistically feud with? Face or heel? With the way WWE is at the moment he could end up in the league of nations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

It's all well and good to say he will come up with the same character but the problem then is, what do they do with him? Who does he realistically feud with? Face or heel? With the way WWE is at the moment he could end up in the league of nations.

I don't foresee a stereotypical gimmick bring given to him but I think the issue will be a mixture of over-exposure and malaise. It's an issue for any talent on the main roster, there's far too many hours of TV to fill each week so the talent become over-exposed. Nakamura, with his limited English, will probably have to get over in the ring moreso than on the mic. The other issue is that there are very few better big match wrestlers than Nakamura, as shown last night, but he's also infamous for phoning it in for weeks and months on end, probably wisely given the condition of his body. It happened last year after the Ibushi WK9 match where NJPW picked up a lot of new fans and they all thought that every Nakamura match would be as epic as that Ibushi one and it simply wasn't. His performances on the smaller shows are phoned in and too many of his matches with Nagata, Goto and Anderson disappointed. That being said, his big matches with Okada, Tanahashi and Styles were tremendous. You take the bad with the good.

Advertisement