Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAW 28-3-16 (Mania go home show) *SPOILERS

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Poor Nick Dinsmore :(

Screw him. He got a lot further than he could have possibly gotten as being just "Nick Dinsmore" with the Eugene gimmick.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

The Show started so well but after the first 50mins in went rocketing downhill.

Roman Reigns and Eva Marie will pop the crowd

NQHKSVE.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Straight Edge Punk

gimmick wrote: »
    Screw him. He got a lot further than he could have possibly gotten as being just "Nick Dinsmore" with the Eugene gimmick.

I remember him being a huge talent in OVW

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Yeah but the go home show for Mania is meant to sell the show and get you excited.

"I didn't hate it" isn't exactly the reaction they should want.

Oh, I know. My point is simply the failure in the execution was set up over the last few weeks, and by last night, I don't think they could have done much but make the show an "I didn't hate it" show. Thats not excusing the dreadful build to the PPV. Just that I wasn't expecting much more than what I got, and I don't think that last night's show was going to do much other than solidify what had already been set up.

(Semi-related rant, but feel the need to vent about this some more...)
    We (as in everyone) talked in a Raw thread a few weeks back about how WWE have a 4-6 week booking mechanism that just doesn't work well with regards building stories. Along the lines of...

Week 1: Set up the match (Loads of excitement)
    Weeks 2 - 5: Talk about the match but don't develop much, if anything. (Excitement wanes)
    Week 6: Go home show. (Try to reignite what excitement is left).

You can apply that to all the feuds going into Mania.

Taker vs Shane:
    Week One: Match announced
    Week Two: Taker and Vince talk, no real development
    Week Three: Highlight videos of weeks one and two
    Week Four: Everyone talks, minimal development
    Week Five: Vince announces the "Last Mania" stip.
    Week Six: Shane and Taker trade blows.

So you have a three week period there where there was zero development in the stories. Week four was minimal (the extent of it was Shane calling Taker a bitch) at best. Week five had some development (though, arguably, it came waaaaay to late in the story, and Taker pretty much laughed it off this week. The announcement was the type of thing you start Act 2 of a story off with, not Act 3!). And week six (this week) was an attempt to do the best they could with the story laid before them.

Same with HHH vs Reigns, though it's been brewing longer. But the last few weeks have largely revolved round the same three devices; keeping Reigns from being in front of the crowd (be it through the injury or the lack of promos), HHH talking for 10 minutes to bore the crowd into booing him, and numerous brawls. In the last few weeks, there has been absolutely nothing about their story that developed; we're in the same position now as we were when Fast Lane ended.

Ambrose vs Brock, again, very little development to where we were 6 weeks back, and they had the added benefit of Roadblock cutting their story from 6 weeks down to 4. The writers couldn't think up of 1 thing to change things up over a 4 show run.

The Divas Triple Threat and New Day vs League of Nations both the same. Zero progression since the matches were announced. Styles vs Jericho revolved round Jericho refusing to have a match, and Styles eventually goaded him into it, so I guess there's some progression there, but we knew that would come eventually.

Overall, it really pains me how they (either through ignorance, arrogance or whatever) have no real ability to tell a 6 part story over 6 weeks.

Going into Mania, there's a good 5 or 6 matches that, had you opted not to watch anything since Fast Lane, you'd have missed absolutely nothing of note. Can you say that about most TV shows? If I missed Walking Dead last week, I'd be struggling to catch up. If I missed 5 weeks, I'd be ****ed. But WWE wonder why the ratings are dropping; it's cause there's no actual need to watch the show.

Ok, rant over...

I'm just shocked there was no contract signings in the build up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,873 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Well we got the every Battle Royal entrant spot.

As for the Total Divas, it seems half the face team is made up of heels.

I really hope Ric stays out of the triple threat. Such a fake fall when he let Becky go.

Gotta wonder why all Dean's weapons were stored under the ring. Guess he put them there.

How many times has the heel talked up their opponent? They always seen to do it for Reigns. One of these days we'll start supporting him. Maybe. Just won't be in time for Mania

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

I enjoyed the opening segment,I thought it was good. I hope they put this match on last,I just don't see how they can consider putting the title match on last unless they're planning on pulling a huge swerve in that match,which I don't expect they will.Rest of the show was ok.

Moneymaker wrote: »
    So according to Meltzer, WWE expected Eva Marie to get a good reception on RAW.

Quote:

It's like, you can never predict the audience, no matter how smart you are. And WWE.. you know, sometimes they can and sometimes they can't, especially now. But this one? This one was a no-brainer. And the idea that they didn't figure it out.. This was one where I was really surprised how they didn't figure this out. This was an easy one. It is the typical WWE, they're trying to go right, but they can't help themselves from going left. They think that she (Eva) is so hot that everyone is going to like her. It didn't work in NXT and it obviously didn't work tonight. People have so much access to photos of hot women, that being a hot woman who can't wrestle it doesn't mean **** anymore. There was a time when it did with Tammy Sytch and Sable. But times change. If Braun Strowman showed up in the Hogan era, they could have done Wrestlemania with him and match would have sucked, but they would have drawn big money.

Amazing company. Wish I could make 645m in a year by being totally tone deaf and clueless to my own audience.

Why would they even think that? Considering her whole character in NXT is based around the fact they don't like her.
    But as was said, the reaction from the other divas seemed like they weren't happy to see her. Though at the same time maybe they were told to react based on the audience's reaction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

the show pulled a rating of 2.66, with 3.77m viewers.
    that's pretty poor for a Wrestlemania go home show.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Ziggler's HBK tribute is getting silly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

I'm just shocked there was no contract signings in the build up!

I think they have been done to actually death. When I think contract signing--I think Flair going to the top rope. I know exactly what is going to happen.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

ShagNastii wrote: »
    I think they have been done to actually death. When I think contract signing--I think Flair going to the top rope. I know exactly what is going to happen.

I know exactly what you mean.

:pac:

I was about to say he succeeded once or twice. But it is one of his best known moves, along with having trousers ripped off him and performing moves on his jacket

• Registered Users Posts: 36,144 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Why would they even think that? Considering her whole character in NXT is based around the fact they don't like her.

Because the guy who makes the decisions still thinks that people are draws based on what they look like.

It really is that simple, and because he's basically God to everyone in WWE, including anyone who might be able to question him (i.e. HHH and Steph), this will continue to be the way it is. It also doesn't help that he can make whatever decisions he likes, and it doesn't seem to be affecting WWE's profitability too much, so there is no incentive for him to change.

Punk was right in his pipebomb promo. For change, we might have to wait until Vince McMahon is dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Isn't that kind of the idea, to protect the opponent? Landing full force doesn't seem like the best idea. I wasn't watching that closely admittedly.

It would be yeah and in Takers case more so as the last thing WWE want is another injury,so close to Mania.Having saw pictures of the spot and slow motion videos of it,it appears he did actually make just about enough contact,for it too come off as if he did hit him full force.

Advertisement