Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cork City an increasingly dangerous place

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

The point is is that was not a random attack. It could have happened anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,237 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

gimmick wrote: »

So? It didn't happen anywhere, it happened in cork.

Would you travel to Brussels tomorrow because the recent attacks were not random?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

Would you travel to Brussels tomorrow because the recent attacks were not random?

Yes...

Some people seem to enjoy living in fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

Can you confirm if those poor Italian tourists that were seen walking up Shandon Street with selfie sticks actually made it out alive :P

Didn't see those Italians I'm afraid! Did meet two lost German girls one night at ~1.30am by the Firkin Crane wondering where the hostel was, hopefully my directions allowed them to get there without being picked off ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭12Phase

Yes...

Some people seem to enjoy living in fear.

I'd give Brussels a few weeks until they check the place for any more issues.
    Still a little high risk I think.

• Advertisement

gimmick wrote: »

Yeah, that's very true although we don't know the details.

In previous incidents like this, it was down to someone who was suffering from fairly serious mental illness and delusions.

One isolated incident does not mean the city is dangerous. Law of averages is bigger populations will always result in things happening in cities more than in rural areas but that's doesn't meant that they're unsafe. Your likelihood of being assaulted in Cork is still very, very low.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,207 ✭✭✭goochy

perception by not very bright people is not likely to be match reality.
    saw the crime statistics for county cork a while back and it shows cork as one of the safest counties around.

as said if people have such a negative view maybe they shouldn't be living there. As said I am a Dub but as a long term cork resident would defend the place to the hilt against people who just want to find faults.
    regarding people getting sick - it does get cleaned up and it will be found anywhere that people have a good social life and enjoy themselves - we are not a bland boring racing like many mainland euro. countries and that's why people love us - except u xabi it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,993 ✭✭✭xabi

goochy wrote: »
    saw the crime statistics for county cork a while back and it shows cork as one of the safest counties around.

as said if people have such a negative view maybe they shouldn't be living there. As said I am a Dub but as a long term cork resident would defend the place to the hilt against people who just want to find faults.
    regarding people getting sick - it does get cleaned up and it will be found anywhere that people have a good social life and enjoy themselves - we are not a bland boring racing like many mainland euro. countries and that's why people love us - except u xabi it seems.

Can't believe you're still saying puking on the street is ok. Maybe it is in Dublin, it certainly isn't in Cork.

goochy wrote: »

Actually it's common enough in Northern Europe more so than Southern Europe due to the fondness for bing-drinking beer.

I don't really think Cork's particularly dangerous though. It's an urban area / conurbation of about 300,000 people. You're going to get messy stuff happening now and then and the odd nasty incident here and there. It's just the law of averages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

I've edited my original response on the face slashing, I'm big enough to admit that I'm backtracking.
    Reading the first report it sounded to me like some "private ongoing feud" kinda thing, seems common enough around the country, so I just assumed all parties were a bit dodge. Not that anyone "deserves" that, but ... those that willingly involve themselves in those situations are aware of the people they are dealing with.

The tone of other reports has me thinking that this is not the case.

• Advertisement

That attack is extremely vicious though too - It's not only intended to hurt but also permanently disfigure someone. Something like that needs to be prosecuted very heavily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Jesus christ a girl got her face slashed open, if you think people walking around with blades willing to do this is not dangerous you're delusional.

Can you quote where I said that people walking around with blades is not dangerous?
    Because you are delusional if you see that in what I posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

It appears on this thread that there seems to be a view that Cork should achieve a crime level similar to other cities of such population and a acceptance that crime,Be it assaults,murder and general disorder are a normal occurrence in urban areas.Clearly everyone here agrees that these incidents are unfortunate.

While i see Cork as not very unsafe i do believe that there is some big problems and i do not for one minute believe it should be accepted/tolerated.

By comparing Cork to other cities we are ignoring our problems,Policing badly needs to be increased and a overhaul of the courts is badly needed,Mental health and the effect of drugs/alcohol is of course another major issue.

These daytime attacks targeted or not are very damaging for Cork and i would not like my kids or parents to witness or god forbid be a victim of such a attack even if the risk is small.

Its not Johannesburg,its Cork,So crime like this should be dealt with and that is my point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

CB19Kevo wrote: »
    So crime like this should be dealt with and that is my point.
    You're not going to get anyone disagreeing with you on that point.

But there are people who are promoting the idea that Cork is akin to war zone with people being attacked everyday, streets are filled with blood (and puke and piss), and it's not safe to walk in the city due to the 'high potential' of being attacked (without any figures to back it up).

Comparison to other cities is very valid. It doesn't mean that such crimes are acceptable, it's just a means to 'rank' Cork in terms of it's safety levels.
    Tens of thousands are in Cork City on a daily basis (the wider area is composed of hundreds of thousands) and go home without issue. Isolated incidents, that are a rare occurrence, doesn't equate to a dangerous place to live/visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

I lived in cork for a year and a half bit dull , some places are a bit tired & run down, there's a few aul junkies and alco's knocking about the place , its small and a bit dirty, but certainly not dangerous.

The only real difference i think with Dublin is how small it is, its easier to wander into some dirtier more rundown areas unwittingly on a night out like down around the bus station and the park across from the market, far less gypsies , junkies and homeless shambling about the place, like the plague of them we have in Dublin.

To be honest all city's have a grubbiness to them , Cork as a very small city has a fairly small element of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

I lived in cork for a year and a half bit dull , some places are a bit tired & run down, there's a few aul junkies and alco's knocking about the place , its small and a bit dirty, but certainly not dangerous.

The only real difference i think with Dublin is how small it is, its easier to wander into some dirtier more rundown areas unwittingly on a night out like down around the bus station and the park across from the market, far less gypsies , junkies and homeless shambling about the place, like the plague of them we have in Dublin.

To be honest all city's have a grubbiness to them , Cork as a very small city has a fairly small element of it.

And tell me this, would you say Cork is a small city???

• Registered Users Posts: 15,731 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

CHealy wrote: »
    And tell me this, would you say Cork is a small city???

In global terms, it's a glorified town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

I'd say your sarcasm detector is experiencing issues there I say pal.....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,731 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

CHealy wrote: »
    I'd say your sarcasm detector is experiencing issues there I say pal.....

I'm not your pal, buddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

^^^
    The Cork City forum is certainly becoming dangerous, whatever about the actual city itself!
    ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Boards.ie's Cork City's forum has become fairly dangerous. Looks like a fight's gonna break out between Whisky Galore and CHealy!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,207 ✭✭✭goochy

hes right , it is basically a big town . By international standards Dublin is the only proper sized city here - doesn't make it a better place or anything.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Totally Tropical

Cork City is bigger than the combined populations of Limerick and Galway cities.Just because there was an attack on an inner city street over a feud doesn't change the fact that Cork is one of Europes safest cities.This thread is encouraging trolls and haters of our great city to spread their muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Cork City is bigger than the combined populations of Limerick and Galway cities.

I would have thought the same but according to the 2011 census the combined pop of Limerick and Galway cities is over 132k. Cork is 119k. Galway city has pop of 75k which I'm very surprised by. Surely not an error on the CSO website?

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Totally Tropical

mordeith wrote: »
    I would have thought the same but according to the 2011 census the combined pop of Limerick and Galway cities is over 132k. Cork is 119k. Galway city has pop of 75k which I'm very surprised by. Surely not an error on the CSO website?

I think the problem there is that Douglas and Rochestown which are to all intents and purposes city suburbs are under the administrative authority of Cork County Council not Cork City Council.Limerick has a similar situation where Raheen and Castletroy is on an administrative level covered by Limerick County Council.So the population of those suburbs where not included in the CSO stats.

In global terms so are Dublin and Belfast.

Perspective is everything.

In Irish terms, Cork's quite large.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

xabi wrote: »
    Those things I mentioned happend in the past month, Google if you don't believe me. No one is saying people are walking around in fear of their life, but it can be intimidating at times.

You just seem to be very prone to being intimidated and perhaps are a tad unstreetwise too.

A "junkie" is a heroin addict, these people are generally not at all a danger to passers by, they beg for money, they don't assault people. They are quite often in bits physically from poor nutrition and sleeping rough etc etc and of course heroin itself doesn't do anything overly positive to the body.

Perhaps you use the term "junkie" to describe random scummers that are seen in small numbers wandering around the city?

Piss like any liquid won't remain on the street for hours so you must be going into town very early of a morning to see piss from the night before still about. The blood claim is also laughable, next time you see some on the Cork streets take a picture and post it up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,993 ✭✭✭xabi

Augeo wrote: »
    You just seem to be very prone to being intimidated and perhaps are a tad unstreetwise too.

A "junkie" is a heroin addict, these people are generally not at all a danger to passers by, they beg for money, they don't assault people. They are quite often in bits physically from poor nutrition and sleeping rough etc etc and of course heroin itself doesn't do anything overly positive to the body.

Perhaps you use the term "junkie" to describe random scummers that are seen in small numbers wandering around the city?

Piss like any liquid won't remain on the street for hours so you must be going into town very early of a morning to see piss from the night before still about. The blood claim is also laughable, next time you see some on the Cork streets take a picture and post it up here.

I have no reason to lie about what I have seen, the blood was a once off admittedly, but the piss and puke is a weekly occurance. I'm not easily intimidated by any means, but have been at times in Cork. A tad unstreetwise? Lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

As for the blood on the footpath thing on a Saturday morning... I gave seen this myself a few times before so I don't doubt that you have seen it. Usually on the Grand Parade. But... I am talking 20 years ago when I saw it last. They clean the footpaths earlier these days. It is not a new thing. It has been going on forever and always will.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement