Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Tony EH wrote: »
    What is it these ejits have against Phoebe Waller-Bridge?

She wrote a comedy with a tonne of menstruations jokes, a thriller about a middle aged woman self-destructing her life for a hot psycho and that's woke feminism apparently. Oh and there'll be some nonsense about the male characters being walked over or something.

It does remind I must actually watch Fleabag: these inane segues caused me to YouTube some clips and it's a goddamn laugh riot. Extremely crude, but very funny.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

pixelburp wrote: »
    She wrote a comedy with a tonne of menstruations jokes, a thriller about a middle aged woman self-destructing her life for a hot psycho and that's woke feminism apparently. Oh and there'll be some nonsense about the male characters being walked over or something.

It does remind I must actually watch Fleabag: these inane segues caused me to YouTube some clips and it's a goddamn laugh riot. Extremely crude, but very funny.

You absolutely should, it is hilarious - while simultaneously being a strong character piece about someone being absolutely crushed by the combined weight of guilt and grief. Plus it gives Olivia Coleman the opportunity to play an absolute arsehole, which is as much fun as you might expect.

Tbh the one thing I'll say about these endless Whining Video Glansmen is that as long as they put things like their disdain for Waller-Bridge front and centre they're doing us a favour, because they might as well be holding up a sign that says "I don't like good things" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

What is it these ejits have against Phoebe Waller-Bridge?

I think she's fantastic, but it's sad that she's going to be in this and that it even exists.

Think about it this way - she creates two award-laden original phenomenons: Fleabag and Killing Eve. Hollywood's reaction is not to see what she can do with a bigger budget and scope, but to offer:
    • Star Wars spin-off
    • Mr and Mrs Smith remake
    • Indy sequel

The same goes for Donald Glover, who created Atlanta and ends up in the same Star Wars spin-off, the same Mr and Mrs Smith remake and a live-action Lion King remake.

I remember people criticised the Ready Player One book once it was released because its world and fandom was as though pop culture had been frozen in the 80s, but that seems fairly spot-on!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think she's fantastic, but it's sad that she's going to be in this and that it even exists.

Think about it this way - she creates two award-laden original phenomenons: Fleabag and Killing Eve. Hollywood's reaction is not to see what she can do with a bigger budget and scope, but to offer:
    • Star Wars spin-off
    • Mr and Mrs Smith remake
    • Indy sequel

She auditioned for Solo herself I believe, wasn't offered the role (IIRC she hadn't ever heard of a "droid" or what it was) so I don't get the impression Hollywood even registers her presence, yet. It's also possible Waller-Bridge doesn't WANT to be involved in American mainstream cinema and I wouldn't blame her if she didn't either.

I did wonder if she might moonlight with some script doctoring like she did with the recent bond movie (which is another reason the YouTube outrage industry hates her), but it also feels like she's happy to just blip around America for now, do her own thing. Even with Killing Eve she only worked on the first season, with a marked drop on quality when she left.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,838 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

there are a lot of set photos floating around, all WW2 era, hopefully just a flashback or a prelude scene, there appears to be a de-aged Indy in it too.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,514 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Does he have the lottery numbers by any chance?

I see he recommended The Mask of Zorro yesterday, thats an excellent film.
    Something along those lines would be perfect for Indy 5, the right balance of seriousness and fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

silverharp wrote: »
    there are a lot of set photos floating around, all WW2 era, hopefully just a flashback or a prelude scene, there appears to be a de-aged Indy in it too.

Knew it.
    Once that Nazi train was shown you knew they would use the de-aging from Star Wars. Its all Disney at the end of the day.

On an Indy related note I watched raiders and temple of doom over the last two nights. Whats the craic with TOD being a prequel? I only found out it was about ten years ago. After watching it a dozen times as a kid. Like, what I mean is at no point in the movie (that I saw) suggets its a prequel or did I miss something for the 20th time again? :pac:

silverharp wrote: »

How do we know there's a de-aged Indy? Was there an actor walking around with some mo-cap dots on his face? Just curious as that seems like a big enough swing.

pixelburp wrote: »
    How do we know there's a de-aged Indy? Was there an actor walking around with some mo-cap dots on his face? Just curious as that seems like a big enough swing.

if you spin to 1:45 there is a deaged stunt double wearing an Indy mask. Mr H has his own theories and he is going for a more vanilla Prisoner heist type affair but that doesnt feel like an Indy film for me. Im guessing this is either a flash back scene or its prelude and they will flip into the 60's or whatever for the great macguffin hunt, with maybe the Odessa org as current bad guys?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Well the man himself is on one of the sets anyway;

https://twitter.com/IndianaJones_ch/status/1401984794259566594

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

On a side note, the 4K editions of the first 4 movies have dropped today. I have them on iTunes and got the usual free upgrade from 1080p to 4K.

They also appear to have had some new work done on their visual effects, I noticed matte lines have been removed from certain scenes. The plane escape sequence in Last Crusade in particular looks much improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,786 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

But do they now have Indy walking over Jabba's tail and replace guns with radios?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,415 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Wedwood wrote: »
    On a side note, the 4K editions of the first 4 movies have dropped today. I have them on iTunes and got the usual free upgrade from 1080p to 4K.

They also appear to have had some new work done on their visual effects, I noticed matte lines have been removed from certain scenes. The plane escape sequence in Last Crusade in particular looks much improved.

Yeah forgot I had purchased the set on iTunes a few months back. They look great and have a decent set of extras on iTunes. The 4 movies are currently available for the low price of 19.99 and all have HDR/Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos upgrades, for anyone interested

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Is it just me or does the Indy outfit not look quite right?

195412732_10221968206326500_2444914325836205826_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=825194&_nc_ohc=o2maFju-ZrEAX8Kktyt&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&tp=6&oh=6f9d685c104920db418405c03ea328d3&oe=60E4CFC0

It's cos he's 78; they should have kept the hat but given him a different style, something that made him look less old and schlubby. In Force Awakens he had a different, but appropriate outfit & leather jacket that sat much better on him. Could just be the Behind the Scenes Effect too though, and won't look so bad on-screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I think it's also that the outfit is very 40s. I get that it's his "costume" but that Indy's fashion didn't change with the times is weird. I agree with PB, they could have kept the hat which is the most iconic bit.

Men in their 70s don't wear the latest trends :P

• Registered Users Posts: 18,895 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

py2006 wrote: »
    Is it just me or does the Indy outfit not look quite right?

It's the lad in the outfit that's the problem. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,514 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Oh no Indy, the cancel culture mob will be after you next.

https://twitter.com/NME/status/1402587176446173188

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I think it's also that the outfit is very 40s. I get that it's his "costume" but that Indy's fashion didn't change with the times is weird. I agree with PB, they could have kept the hat which is the most iconic bit.

I think the original Indy films were set in the 30s not the 40s.

This seems more like you generating fake scandals again....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

It is creepy when you think about it but as mentioned it's never made explicit what happened. Was it ever addressed in Young Indiana Jones?

Just listening to the Rewatchables episode of Raiders at the moment and this comes up, supposedly Lucas wanted her to be younger. And they also cut a scene where Indy had a woman in his bed when Denholm arrives, hence the bathrobe.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,895 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

It's only "creepy" when viewed through today's eyes. Before and during the 30's and well into the 60's and 70's a person who was 16 was considered a young adult. Once you'd left school, you were no longer considered a child. In fact, during the next two years, it was quite expected of one to get married and to have the first child of their own knocked out.

Now, I don't know what age Marion was supposed to be in 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' or how young she was supposed to be when Jones had a relationship with her, but all this just sounds like manufactured click bait over a complete non-issue.

He is in better shape than me AND cycles which I don't...

44063421-9672987-image-a-84_1623336005472.jpg

If his cycling is anything like his flying ... :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Now, I don't know what age Marion was supposed to be in 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' or how young she was supposed to be when Jones had a relationship with her, but all this just sounds like manufactured click bait over a complete non-issue.
    I read a piece about this on Medium that made me want to scream. As if some reported conversations with George Lucas meant Raiders should be all but pulled from the public domain.

py2006 wrote: »

does make me wonder will the Nazi Bell be in this film, Indiana Jones meets Iron Sky :D

• Advertisement

Dades wrote: »
    I read a piece about this on Medium that made me want to scream. As if some reported conversations with George Lucas meant Raiders should be all but pulled from the public domain.

Your first mistake is reading Medium :) I've only ever stuck to technical, programming articles and even then half are so dogmatic and opinionated they're often unreadble. It's long-form Twitter at this stage.

Advertisement