Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,514 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I've only watched The Crystal Skull once because it was so bad on first viewing.

Casting Shia LeBoeuf as his son and Cate Blanchett as the villian hamstrung the film from the off.
    It never had a chance after that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Tony EH wrote: »
    The first half was ok. But it really is a pretty terrible movie when all things are considered. I don't think I've met anyone in the real world that would rate it.

I'd rate it a 6/10 movie, but mostly a case of the reputation and screaming nowhere near reflective of the final product. The flaws were structural as a flawed film, not heretical to the series' being.

Which makes me wonder now if Indy will still be married on number 5, if Karen Allen might return.

• Oh god, I actually blanked that LaBoeuf was in this!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,895 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

pixelburp wrote: »
    I'd rate it a 6/10 movie, but mostly a case of the reputation and screaming nowhere near reflective of the final product. The flaws were structural as a flawed film, not heretical to the series' being.

Which makes me wonder now if Indy will still be married on number 5, if Karen Allen might return.

I probably rated it higher when I first saw it. But there's no way I could go to 6 now. To me a 6 is a slightly above average film. Not great, not mediocre.

Crystal Skull doesn't deserve that TBH. Irrespective of all the stolen childhoods and all that jazz (that actually started with George Lucas' prequels), it still isn't a good film by any stretch. To me it's the wrong side of a 5. There's a bit of stuff in there to like. But over all, it's an incredibly disappointing film.

I'm honestly completely unsurprised that Spielberg wants none of it and is happy with a "producer" effort. But that's the least of Indy V's potential worries. The biggest issue is Ford, his age, and the fact that Jones pretty much belongs in the 30's. Bringing him into a more modern era isn't very appetising.

But as I've always said, and we disagree on this, Indiana Jones died in 1984. So, to me there's not much hope of anything good coming out of this in any respect.

If it can turn out to be even watchable, I'd count that as a win of sorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,786 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

For that reason Jones can't be killed off until he is in his 90s, plus he has to lose an eye and gain a daughter before then.

Mutt to get a sex change?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

These days I hate using the word, but are those TV adventures even "canon" anymore, insofar as the series has any?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,661 ✭✭✭buried

One of the major and often overlooked problems in the fourth one is the total lack of a weighty occult narrative that is based on the stories and the myths of ancient history. 'Raiders of The Lost Ark' has massive displays of these themes. 'Temple of Doom', as fantastically exotic as it is, still has a good dose, it being set amongst a secret cult of Thuggee worshippers of the Goddess Kali. 'Last Crusade' also has it with the medieval legend of the holy grail. Kingdom skull's themes and mythos are largely based on aliens, UFO's, area 51 etc. Themes that do not have the weight of ancient or occult mysteries attached to them, but themes that are only culturally recent and also heavily attached to the realms and subject of science fiction.

The heavy occult narrative and subliminal imagery that exists in 'Raiders of The lost Ark' is extremely important to the structure and success of that film. The scene with the army intelligence coming to the university for example, that is how you do supreme exposition in mythical storytelling. Add the spine tingling and ghostly music right in time to the motion picture imagery, it just so brilliantly crafted, and none of the other films that followed could ever match or come close to the likes of it.
    This new thing will be no exception.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Just googled it there. Whats that got to do with him?

Nothing

These days I hate using the word, but are those TV adventures even "canon" anymore, insofar as the series has any?
    It was a show that took itself a lot more seriously than shows at the time iirc. But ya, I think Canon is loose at this stage. Definitely not like Star Wars.

buried wrote: »
    One of the major and often overlooked problems in the fourth one is the total lack of a weighty occult narrative that is based on the stories and the myths of ancient history. 'Raiders of The Lost Ark' has massive displays of these themes. 'Temple of Doom', as fantastically exotic as it is, still has a good dose, it being set amongst a secret cult of Thuggee worshippers of the Goddess Kali. 'Last Crusade' also has it with the medieval legend of the holy grail. Kingdom skull's themes and mythos are largely based on aliens, UFO's, area 51 etc. Themes that do not have the weight of ancient or occult mysteries attached to them, but themes that are only culturally recent and also heavily attached to the realms and subject of science fiction.

The heavy occult narrative and subliminal imagery that exists in 'Raiders of The lost Ark' is extremely important to the structure and success of that film. The scene with the army intelligence coming to the university for example, that is how you do supreme exposition in mythical storytelling. Add the spine tingling and ghostly music right in time to the motion picture imagery, it just so brilliantly crafted, and none of the other films that followed could ever match or come close to the likes of it.
    This new thing will be no exception.

There can be no doubt that 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' is, easily, the best Indy adventure. It's a perfect blend of action and occult nonsense and has the greatest mcguffin of any of the movies. People think that 'Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom' was the "dark" one, but it was the first movie that was able to put the hairs on the backs of people's necks up. Much more so than the sequel. As you say there's a chilling John Williams sting that's infused into the picture that created a palpable sense of unease and there's moments of outright horror that would only have been found in a horror movie.

For my money the sequel gets closer to the more traditional 1930's movie than any of the others, though, and I've always liked it, flaws notwithstanding of course. It's far superior to the third movie, which just went too far over the top with its inane attempts at comedy and ended up just scuppering itself. It's just too dumb to be truly enjoyable.

'Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull'? Well, we could probably bang on about that for hours. But, while the premise does sound good if it lacks that 1930's serial appeal. But the actual story and execution were bloody awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

I remember leaving the cinema in 1989 thinking Last Crusade looked a bit cheap and Harrison Ford was getting on a bit !! The only bit I’d really enjoyed was the motorcycle chase sequence accompanied by Williams’ Scherzo for Motorcycles. The previous two movies looked better, where as Last Crusade had too much sub par blue screen shots during the action scenes, especially the airship/fighter plane sequences. I also seen Star Trek V The Final Frontier in 1989 and decided Last Crusade’s effects could have been a lot worse!!!

That said, I purchased both movies a few months later on VHS for my fledgling movie collection, again on DVD, again on Blu-ray and currently awaiting their 4K releases ( the Indiana Jones movies out in a few days !!!)

Wedwood wrote: »
    I remember leaving the cinema in 1989 thinking Last Crusade looked a bit cheap

Yeh, I thought that too. The whole intro sequence looked like it was from another movie entirely and it really did feel cheap as chips. The sub par CGI was really awful, too, even for the time.

It really felt lower budget to me in comparison to the first two.

I always felt that the villains were really meh as well. Dusting off the nazis again just never felt anything more than a rehash of Raiders. Oh you didn't like the Thuggees? Well here's the Germans again.

Would have been nice to see Indy head off to sub Saharan Africa or something instead and introduce new bad guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

CGI in the Last Crusade?

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

Just to say, there are more set photos doing the rounds which are a bit spoilery, so I think it’s time to block if you don’t want the movie ruined.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

py2006 wrote: »
    CGI in the Last Crusade?

Yeah remember the CGI plane that crashes into the tunnel.

py2006 wrote: »
    CGI in the Last Crusade?

There were very early computer effects used in the movie IIRC. More overlays to props as opposed to the CGI we're used to these days.

Big Gerry wrote: »
    It looks like the Nazis are back in Indy 5.

Oh dear...

Must be a flashback, or, could be linking with that rumour from years ago of a hidden/lost Nazi train. Was going around that it was full of gold and buried in a mountain somewhere in Poland. Can't remember where that urban myth went, but there was definitely at least one serious attempt to find it. I think the researchers found _a_ train, bit wasn't full of gold.

Edit: ah, not quite. Two men claimed they found something, but after much effort, turned out to be a natural geological formation..

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazi_gold_train

• Registered Users Posts: 17,838 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

if its Nazis, 60's and space race related , maybe the anti grav technology that pops up on the "History" channel

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,274 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'd say it's the urban legend of the Nazi train full of gold that is hidden/lost in the mountains of Poland.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazi_gold_train

The other films had some mystical elements to them, buried Nazi gold seems a little boring in comparison? and would be more in the realm of a conventional thriller , Bear Island for example

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

I'd say it's the urban legend of the Nazi train full of gold that is hidden/lost in the mountains of Poland.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazi_gold_train

Uhm, snap? :P
    silverharp wrote: »
    The other films had some mystical elements to them, buried Nazi gold seems a little boring in comparison? and would be more in the realm of a conventional thriller , Bear Island for example

That supposes it is only gold on the train ;) Last days of the war and Hitler packs up all the supernatural items he picked up that wasn't The Ark or Cup of Christ, so the Soviets can't get 'em. Sends the train on a secret mission and it gets lost, intercepted by partisans or whatnot. 20 years later and someone's after the Great McGuffin, last seen being packed into a mysterious, unregistered train.

Damn, I hope it IS something like that cos I'm suddenly stoked for this made up plot of mine :D

That supposes it is only gold on the train ;) Last days of the war and Hitler packs up all the supernatural items he picked up that wasn't The Ark or Cup of Christ, so the Soviets can't get 'em. Sends the train on a secret mission and it gets lost, intercepted by partisans or whatnot. 20 years later and someone's after the Great McGuffin, last seen being packed into a mysterious, unregistered train.

Damn, I hope it IS something like that cos I'm suddenly stoked for this made up plot of mine :D

Might be a better plot than they have :pac: or their writers are such a bunch of hacks, 70% of film will be so predictable it writes itself

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Re: the nazi train.
    My money is on flashback too. Indy 5 will have to be roughly set in the 60s. But if they are doing a flashback you just know they are gonna do the annoying de-aging thing.

Indy 5 could be so bad that it makes crystal skull look like a masterpiece.

Ah jaysus. It's deja vû all over again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mod note: Enough with the lazy video / link drops please - it's a discussion board, not a place to randomly drop YouTube rants and then move on.

And at the very, very least double-check to make sure the video wasn't posted before and had several dozen responses :pac:

What is it these ejits have against Phoebe Waller-Bridge?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Big Gerry wrote: »
    Indy 5 could be so bad that it makes crystal skull look like a masterpiece.

Does he have the lottery numbers by any chance?

Advertisement