Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Marvel Neflix Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

I've watched 3 episodes of Iron Fist and it's not interesting me in the slightest.

Is there anything in the defenders I'll be confused by if I drop Iron Fist now? I presume I pretty much know what his character is about at this stage?

Defenders is more Murdoch's story than Danny's so you could get away with it. Personally I'd just tough it out. :P There are 2 or 3 very decent actors who make it watchable.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,219 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I've watched 3 episodes of Iron Fist and it's not interesting me in the slightest.

Is there anything in the defenders I'll be confused by if I drop Iron Fist now? I presume I pretty much know what his character is about at this stage?

You would miss a bit unfortunately. Not so much about Danny, but Colleen plays a pretty big role in Defenders, and two of the villains in Iron Fist are in Defenders. Probably not enough to be confused by anything in Defenders, but you'd still miss a few smaller things.

It is a bit of a struggle to get through, but I'd try stick it out if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

couldn't get through iron fist myself just read what happened in each episode and thought it was grand to catch up on everything in defenders

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Jones is back!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

JoeQuesada
    @JoeQuesada
    Chief Creative Officer of Marvel Entertainment. Executive Producer Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Marvel's Agents of SHIELD & Agent Carter
    https://twitter.com/JoeQuesada/status/970731693178007552
    https://twitter.com/JoeQuesada/status/970730509948145665
    https://twitter.com/JoeQuesada/status/970711681679740929

• Advertisement

Loved S1 of JJ but I'm struggling with S2. Have only watched 3 episodes but they've been a slog.

Loved S1 of JJ but I'm struggling with S2. Have only watched 3 episodes but they've been a slog.

It's definitely not a patch on S1, though it likely couldn't be as a huge part of what made S1 so great was Kilgrave. But S2 is okay. The story does get pretty good as it goes on, and Krysten Ritter just consistently nails it. I'd still put it ahead of Iron Fist and maybe even Luke Cage (which just completely ruined itself in the second half of that season).

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Season 2 is the first time I've not watched a netflix marvel series the whole way through as soon as possible. I actually think it's ok, but Iron Fist and Defenders have kinda worn me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,279 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Steven S. DeKnight interviewed over the weekend doing Pacific Rim Uprising promotion said he'd love to bring Moon Knight to screen as a series.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,135 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Steven S. DeKnight interviewed over the weekend doing Pacific Rim Uprising promotion said he'd love to bring Moon Knight to screen as a series.

Could be interesting. Charlie Huston's The Bottom arc could be a good starting point.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Watched only the first episode of Jessica Jones Season 2, and just found it turgid in the extreme; there's just nothing about any of the cast that's remotely interesting, they're all duds. I think Season 1 got by on the back of arguably Marvel's best/most frightening villain in all its TV / Film roster. Take Kilgrave away and you're left with a drab affair. He was properly terrifying, and made even the most innocuous scene tense as hell, 'cos you never knew who was under his power.

Plus, Jones herself is a pretty sh*tty lead character. There's such a fine line to walk when it comes to the slightly unlikable protagonists; first and foremost you can get away with the hero being a total d*ck, but only IF either their backstory is interesting enough, or they have charisma by the bucketloads. Jessica just hasn't either of those things. A very tragic, painful history yes but it always feels like there's disconnect between what happened her, and how she behaves. And she's so irredeemably awful to everyone around her, it's a struggle to think why Patsy, Malcolm et al would stick by her. Her one liners aren't even that funny.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Literally everything you want (her backstory, why she acts the way she does, etc) is covered in detail in season 2.

I'd also contend that Hogarth is a fascinating character.

Ritter is great imo, only reason I managed to watch 3 episodes of Season 2.

She saved The Defenders for me as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Literally everything you want (her backstory, why she acts the way she does, etc) is covered in detail in season 2.

It's not hard to read between the lines from the snippets that came up in Season 1, or in that first episode of Season 2 about what her deal & backstory is TBH, my contention is that it'd want to be one hell of a backstory to make up for a dull slog of a character to begin with. Can't decide if its the scripts, or Ritters performance, but Jones is just a jarring, annoying cliché turned up to 11. She was pretty good in Defenders to be fair, so I lay the blame at the door of the scripts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Her background is so confused though, I don't the writers know why he acts the way she does; is it because her family died in a car crash or because of Kilgrave? Or is it because of the boyfriend her mother murdered (which is conveniently never mentioned again)? This season starts out with Trish trying to convince Jess that she needs to address her anger and grief but she doesn't. Jess at the end of season 2 is the exact same person she was at the beginning. The snarky, caustic bitch who doesn't want to be a hero was interesting for a while but it's becoming grating and veering towards petulant. You need to move the character forward in some way rather than just giving her something new to be angry about.

We'll agree to disagree RE Hogarth, I didn't see any point to her storyline except to fill some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Has anyone started watching Season 2 of Iron Fist yet , Massive improvement on season 1 and a big improvement on season 2 of Luke Cage aswell

Season 2 of Iron Fist is actually really good. They really took a lot of the criticisms on board in it. I...I... LIKE Danny in some episodes.

I am dying for a KnightWing series now.

However I have one major criticism:
    The only trope greater in a superhero second season or film than the hero losing his power is the hero meeting someone with doppelganger powers. Both together here... and he already lost the Iron Fist in series 1!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭steve_r

I watched the Defenders but not S1 of Iron fist - would I be alright to just jump in? I did like the Defenders

Separately, I tried the first episode of Luke Cage S2 - maybe it was just the mood I was in but it just seemed so ponderous and re-hashing season 1 - it was almost like it was laying on the exposition for someone who hadn't watched the first season. I enjoyed the first season a lot so I'll likely give it a second try.

I'm not mad on how the Marvel Netflix shows are paced (and a lot of Netflix shows actually) are paced compared to "regular" shows - I think sometimes stuff gets dragged out.

steve_r wrote: »
    I watched the Defenders but not S1 of Iron fist - would I be alright to just jump in? I did like the Defenders

Separately, I tried the first episode of Luke Cage S2 - maybe it was just the mood I was in but it just seemed so ponderous and re-hashing season 1 - it was almost like it was laying on the exposition for someone who hadn't watched the first season. I enjoyed the first season a lot so I'll likely give it a second try.

I'm not mad on how the Marvel Netflix shows are paced (and a lot of Netflix shows actually) are paced compared to "regular" shows - I think sometimes stuff gets dragged out.

I think you would miss a lot in IF S2 without having seen S1. You might be able to just rely on the Netflix Recap thing, but many of the other characters in the show (Ward, Joy, Davos) weren't in The Defenders at all, and they're pretty major characters in the story. That said, it's the weakest season of all the Netflix Marvel shows. It's okay, but not great at all.

As for the pacing, this season of Iron Fist is only 10 episodes as opposed to the usual 13, which I think is the right decision. Previous seasons of Netflix Marvel shows have tended to have a different mid-season story for a few episodes before going back to the main story, which I think is what throws off the pacing. I'm only about halfway through IF S2 but it's pretty tight so far without a lot of fluff.

Penn wrote: »
    I think you would miss a lot in IF S2 without having seen S1. You might be able to just rely on the Netflix Recap thing, but many of the other characters in the show (Ward, Joy, Davos) weren't in The Defenders at all, and they're pretty major characters in the story. That said, it's the weakest season of all the Netflix Marvel shows. It's okay, but not great at all.

As for the pacing, this season of Iron Fist is only 10 episodes as opposed to the usual 13, which I think is the right decision. Previous seasons of Netflix Marvel shows have tended to have a different mid-season story for a few episodes before going back to the main story, which I think is what throws off the pacing. I'm only about halfway through IF S2 but it's pretty tight so far without a lot of fluff.

Would concur with this. TBH if I'd not seen Iron Fist Season 1 I'd say the right call would be to watch season 2 and if you're intrigued enough about the comments Joy and Ward are making go back and watch the first one.

The ten episodes really help. Plot moves much better. One one episode I felt like they were really meandering in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭steve_r

Thanks folks, will give S2 a lash so

5 episodes into IF and I think it's good so far, however based in the end of the last episode I watched looks like I'm going to have to suffer the old trope of
    hero having his powers stolen and needs to find himself in order to get them back.

That would be disappointing.

5 episodes into IF and I think it's good so far, however based in the end of the last episode I watched looks like I'm going to have to suffer the old trope of
    hero having his powers stolen and needs to find himself in order to get them back.

That would be disappointing.

Prepare to be thoroughly disappointed sadly.

Finished IF yesterday. I enjoyed it. It was better than Season 1. Definitely not the best of the shows by any metric, but it was a definite improvement. Still not sold on Finn Jones, but the supporting cast were all great, there was far less "We have responsibilities to our shareholders" crap, and it could definitely make for an interesting third season.

Penn wrote: »
    Finished IF yesterday. I enjoyed it. It was better than Season 1. Definitely not the best of the shows by any metric, but it was a definite improvement. Still not sold on Finn Jones, but the supporting cast were all great, there was far less "We have responsibilities to our shareholders" crap, and it could definitely make for an interesting third season.

The Daughters of the Dragon (Wing and Knight) really made this series.

I actually think Netflix needs to rest the cast and crew (on podcast I listen to who has a hollywood guy on it says the same crew shoots them all and part of the drop in quality is simply they're working like a factory line) but the next thing I want to hear about from them if Disney isn't yanking the license is DotD as those two have been ace supporting in Luke Cage and IF seasons 2.

(Has Misty ever made reference to a crazy red head ex flatmate? She used to live with Jean Grey in the comics :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Daredevil Season 3 starts on October 19th

Prepare to be thoroughly disappointed sadly.

Was actually not too bad in the end. Feel bad for Finn Jones though that it had to come to that in the end; a dramatic off veering from the comics.

Was actually not too bad in the end. Feel bad for Finn Jones though that it had to come to that in the end; a dramatic off veering from the comics.

Yeah the series is pretty good over all, I just wish they didn't use the trope you mentioned, I really don't think it works anymore, and only ever did if you were really attached to an established character.
    Why should you care how a character deals with no powers or how ingenious he can get without them if you haven't had established over a long period who he is with them and how they work? Why is it fresh or different? It needs to become the status quo before you take it away, and he basically didn't know how to use it for 3/4 of season one anyway.

Iron Fist has been cancelled, confirmed in a strangely worded joint statement by Marvel and Netflix.

• Advertisement

Hopefully it's been cancelled for a Heroes for Hire series.

Advertisement