Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas Retro

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Who had those on their tree

attachment.php?attachmentid=495658&d=1574200444

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

kitten_k wrote: »

OMG yes. My mam had about 4 of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,820 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

I think I still have his head , the body is long gone :o
    Still goes on the tree though !

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I'd say my parents still have theirs! This is such an old lady thing to say but I like that they were so light and didn't weigh down the tree. So many decorations these days are too heavy.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

That's a very good point, especially if you have a real tree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

On the tree but also on a velvet covered house like music box that played Santa Claus is coming to town when you pulled a string

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

I'd say my parents still have theirs! This is such an old lady thing to say but I like that they were so light and didn't weigh down the tree. So many decorations these days are too heavy.

I wouldn't tell my wife she is an old lady :P

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Did anyone say Christmas tv adverts from the 90’s?

No? Well you’re getting them anyway :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,114 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Loughc wrote: »

Class!!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Loughc wrote: »

The phone ads! :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

This has been up every year for 40 years as part of the Christmas decoration.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭weetiepie

This has been up every year for 40 years as part of the Christmas decoration.

Love it...so cute, so nice to have something that lasted that length

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

It is a nostalgic time is Christmas! A time when those lost to us are honoured and old customs come to the fore...

I was born during World War Two. When I was two we moved from a backstreet 2 up 2 down in Wigan to a new build which in England sprang up like summer mushrooms..

Christmas memories are fragmented as my father left us early on and there was little money. But as my brother and I got older we, especially me, enriched the season!
    Always a Christmas tree with lights.. That was at my insistence and I soon replaced the tatty old artificial one with a real one each year. Lovely old ornaments that have sadly got lost in one of my many moves.

Always Christmas dinner! In those days chicken was rare, as ti was until battery farms came in . One year we went late to the market, just before they closed , on Christmas Eve, when they needed to clear the stall, and got the scrawniest, little bird you ever saw!
    My mother was a great cook and oh my! Home made sage and onion stuffing and her roast potatoes! My brother was tall and getting taller by the day, hollow as all lads are, and there was not one tiny fragment of met left on that bird and not a potato etc left!

During the war my father had been saved and sheltered by a Dutch family , and they, with no rationing, sent us parcels.... coloured sugar which we made sandwiches from.... tins of pineapple conserve and joy of joys, Christmas puddings !

That was the best Christmas dinner ever! Never equalled.

The best are connected with the relatives we visited often in Wigan. always after my father had gone on Christmas Day. Sometimes the buses into Warrington did not run so we walked the three miles, laden with gifts and I always carried the Christmas cake Mum made each year as our part of the feast
    This was way back of course when there was little money about. But the fleeting moment memories of that back street 2 up 2 down terrace with no toilet indoors and one cold water tap in the scullery ...but such warmth. Always a big coal fire. When we were there anyway.
    And in the unused front room. always a glass bowl of Quality Street . Children remember these things! And we had little chocolate during the war and for years after
    Tea was ham on the bone, celery in a jug.... lots of bread,, Oh and Auntie Annie would always without fail suddenly remember when we were too full to move, that she had put mince pies in the side oven of the range to heat. EVERY year! Sweet old lady.

Just scattered memories. It was not about big gifts; so little money and so little available... new clothes were wonderful, and rare. But I do not remember what else. "What are you getting for Christmas" is something more modern! Values have changed. There was hardly a family intact after the war,

Oh we had stockings left at the bed! Then.. pillowcases! An orange in the toe. And we were not allowed up until at least 6 am. Always that huge excitement of children through the ages

But my memories are strong of family times. And these are the qualities and facets that matter? Now I am alone I see that clearly. I still love Christmas lights and brightness; trying to get hyacinths in flower on time. But not the commercial hype for me . We never felt anything but …. pleasure at what we had and what we did. There was no hardship felt. Christmas was gentle and.. warm!

I was in Sunday School from five and my faith has always been a focus, Carol singing with the church group around the village, Christmas nativity plays at school..

Later Midnight Communion. Teaching Sunday School.. Listening to Carols from Kings. Admitting here it often ends in tears that programme and no shame in that....

Too long but sending anyways an d looking forward to others.

My dratted eyes are watering! Old age!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Amazing video from the archives of British Pathé / Reuters newsreel

Santa Claus at London City Mission (1928)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Jc3112

Graces I’m not an active user but read boards everyday and without fail every time a read a piece from you I can see it. Be it the weather on the island or your cats! This was a beautiful read and something I wish we could move back towards.
    My Christmas memory’s are the similar, helping to do dinner and listening to Christmas music. Waiting on my aunt, uncle and cousins to arrive and the fun and laughing that we would have. Sometimes I worry my own kids won’t look back as fondly as I do!

Jc3112 wrote: »
    Graces I’m not an active user but read boards everyday and without fail every time a read a piece from you I can see it. Be it the weather on the island or your cats! This was a beautiful read and something I wish we could move back towards.
    My Christmas memory’s are the similar, helping to do dinner and listening to Christmas music. Waiting on my aunt, uncle and cousins to arrive and the fun and laughing that we would have. Sometimes I worry my own kids won’t look back as fondly as I do!

Thank you for kind words. much needed just now.. I do have a weblog; see my signature file here on boards.ie? Enjoy!

When it gets nearer the time I plan to transfer this there. With piccies!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Jc3112

Oh graces a morning lost reading your wonderful writing. Thank you so much

Jc3112 wrote: »
    Oh graces a morning lost reading your wonderful writing. Thank you so much

I would love to put up a whole separate Christmas section but cannot work out how to do it yet. I will!

This forum has given me so many ideas etc; thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭matchthis

• Advertisement

I love seeing pics like this. Proper throwback

Brings me back to my childhood!!

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Dustin the Turkey one brings me back all the memories!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I remember the Derek Davis and Biddy and Miley ones!!! 🤣

Is it just me or does Miley look a bit creepy??

• Registered Users Posts: 27,837 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If I can just knock her off, ha ha, I can claim the life insurance and setup with Fidelma...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Those hay bales have to be good for something 😂

I remember all of those covers other than the first one in the top left corner... man, talk about memories.

• Advertisement

Memories of settling down with a marker, to circle what I'd be watching. Pure nostalgia. 😁

Advertisement