Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Season 6 | Episode 9 | No Way Out [AMC] [SPOILERS]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Best episode of The Walking Dead I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Is it just me or was there a brief cut of what seemed to be Iron Maiden's mascot Eddie in zombie form getting dispatched?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Mr E wrote: »
    Negative reviews everywhere today. Were we watching the same thing? :)

Only watching on Fox+1 now and I can see why.....totally naff story and acting, apologies if that goes against the grain

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Fantastic episode! My only critique was with Rick leaving Judith with Gabriel... He's not stupid enough to do that. I loved everything else and it was a visually stunning episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭DaisyD2

NMB wrote: »
    The kid that got eaten was a lovely little pivot device in the plot.
    He was just getting a pair of balls....then he saw a zombie kid and he lost it. Viola eaten.

Do you ever just feel manipulated and slightly durty lol

I didn't think he grew a pair, I thought he was in shock which when they stopped to talk wore off? I took it that he was already losing his **** with carol singing in his head & was looking at himself in his pj's (which were entirely too clean & standoutish blue in scene) will have to rewatch when my blood pressure returns to normal.

Loved the little **** getting eaten, Ma's no great loss, with his death she had to go leaving gawd awful big emo brother to attempt to kill rick/carl - I really did cheer when Michonnes blade cut through him like butta!

& finally Yes!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Good episode but not great, I can't quite put my finger on why though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

When Daryl blew those tools up this episode got a 10 from me, yeah there were some minor plotholes, but they didnt detract for me

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I gave it a 7/10. I thought there was one really gripping moment and then just a bunch of other silly nonsense.

At the start, so that big group of guys have Abraham and Sasha and Daryl at gunpoint and yet not one of them spots Daryl slip away and grab a feckin' rocket launcher? I mean, come on. I know Abraham's outfit was distracting but do me a favour.

Rick entrusts his child to a man that up to now he has loathed and mistrusted? A man with a track record of panicking?

The Wolf having a change of heart was interesting and gives some credibility to Morgan's outlook. Shame he was shot by Solid Snake, sorry Carol. (Speaking of which, can this moaning pain with the most ricockulous character arc in modern TV history please be done away with? Please? Even if it's just to split her away where she goes missing for several seasons.

The moment with the family and the walkers was the most compelling moment. I felt bad for the kid. I don't know why people didn't like the character. I felt he was harmless. Rick hacking the arm was a dramatic moment too and really summed up the desperation. I felt Carl getting shot in the eye was lame though. I knew straight away that he would wind up with a patch and that would be his new thing. (sigh)

The moment with Glenn? Well, I said before that the 'under the corpse' bit was the new 'jump the shark' and so why not inflict on viewers another bait and switch? His invulnerability schtick is too much.

The ending was meh. I guess they don't want a repeat of a few seasons back with Carl comatose for several episodes.

Overall, I thought it was pretty run-of-the-mill with one standout moment. I certainly wouldn't call it one of the best episodes ever and I still feel this show has major issues. I think sadly they got rid of three characters with potential and decided to stick with the stale dross to appease fans.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Tomagotchye

Ridiculous. The show is over for me. Plot threads unraveling just when it looks like something is happening. Does the show even know where it's going? The bikers, killed pretty stupidly, the wolves...gone in a bite. Some ****ty characters died...yaaaaay.

Shambolic writing. I cant defend it any further. It's just a nothing at this stage. Glenn being surrounded again and still surviving despite the odds? Come off it. That was actually a joke?

Rick is the only character.

I think the people giving it 10 are out of their minds but fair enough. Glad ye enjoyed it.

It has about one, maybe two episodes a half season but it's not worth the effort. There's too much other TV to watch to waste time on this any longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭NMB

DaisyD2 wrote: »
    I didn't think he grew a pair, I thought he was in shock which when they stopped to talk wore off? I took it that he was already losing his **** with carol singing in his head & was looking at himself in his pj's (which were entirely too clean & standoutish blue in scene) will have to rewatch when my blood pressure returns to normal.

Loved the little **** getting eaten, Ma's no great loss, with his death she had to go leaving gawd awful big emo brother to attempt to kill rick/carl - I really did cheer when Michonnes blade cut through him like butta!

& finally Yes!

I thought when he stood up to his Ma and said he was going he was beginning to grow a pair of balls. However it was another writer bluff. I don't think he was looking at himself. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaoC1tOdLC4

The episode had loads of dramatic fake outs. Negan guy with the gun will he won't he shoot. Wolf guy being nice to the doc will he shoot her and use her as bait while he escapes or will he turn out to be a good guy. I already commented on Glen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,416 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

NMB wrote: »
    He was just getting a pair of balls....then he saw a zombie kid and he lost it. Viola eaten.

That scene reminded me of Schlindler's list with the girl in the red coat while everyone was in black and white.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sabhail

Great episode,,, thought Gabriel walking off with Judith was one of scariest parts... Was convinced she was going to cry....

Poor Sam... Presume it was seeing the child zombie which set him off, probably thought he was looking at one of carols victims.

Think softness of Alexandrians was shown in Jessie's death... If rick or michonne etc were in her shoes, even if one of their two children died I think they'd retain enough sanity to save the other one... Ie not start screaming and likely cause them all to die.

Them all fighting reminded me of that scene in the barn before they got to Alexandria

Glen- presume he saw Abraham and Daryl ready to fire and dived down to avoid getting hit by bullets.

Liked ricks speech to Carl at the end re showing him the world.... You just know its not going to work out like that! So will Carl turn into mad rick now given his acting as a decent person to Ron backfired enormously?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    When Daryl blew those tools up this episode got a 10 from me, yeah there were some minor plotholes, but they didnt detract for me

So it wasn't a 10 then. :rolleyes:

10/10 means it was a flawless episode. Not one thing wrong with it.

The episode was entertaining but had lots of problems, particularly with the corny writing and I would say more than minor plotholes.

The fact that the majority in the poll thinks that this was a 10/10 episode shows that it seems to be beyond criticism from the hardcore fans of the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

NufcNavan wrote: »
    So it wasn't a 10 then. :rolleyes:

10/10 means it was a flawless episode. Not one thing wrong with it.

The episode was entertaining but had lots of problems, particularly with the corny writing and I would say more than minor plotholes.

The fact that the majority in the poll thinks that this was a 10/10 episode shows that it seems to be beyond criticism from the hardcore fans of the show.

Not really, it showed people still really enjoyed the show despite plot holes. The day to night thing was pretty bad but the action and drama as a whole were why people rated it highly, me included. I gave it a 9 because it had me on the edge of my seat for 42 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭shineon23

I cheered when Sam got got.

Groaned when Jessie was killed.

Then cheered again when Michonne took out Ron.

Never had sush mixed emotions in the space of one scene of a show before.

Very good episode and delighted Glenn didn't die (when Abraham made the save,) which i fear for everytime he's about to be reunited with the group. Had a bad feeling since mid season finale that he might be killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Top episode. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
    Hopefully Neagan is as good a bad guy as I think he will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

If consider myself a hardcore fan, in that I can regularly ignore plot holes or ropy writing but last night irked me more than once. Good episode but not great imo,

The bad:
    How did the bikers not see Daryl struggle and kill the guy at the back of the truck? His body was out to the side?

Why was the ending of episode 8 ignored? Sam kept calling his mother, it was a cliffhanger and then... no, everything is fine.

Rick letting Judith go with Gabriel was stupid and doesn't fit with Ricks opinion of the man. Also, the fact that we never even see Gabriel make it to his church, him just being there, having had no problem getting there seemed pointless. The tension built up from Judith being handed over is just gone then, no payoff.

The change from day to night was a severe one and made it feel like Rick & Co were out wandering amongst the walkers for an unnecessary length of time. Also the fact that most of the Alexandrians were fine holed up in their houses made it all the more ridiculous that Rick brought such a large group out in to danger. Could they not have found a house for safety, then have Rick go on a run to the armory?

The Wolf story felt underdeveloped too. I remarked to my gf that Dr. Denise (the actress) was doing a good job of being scared and then just scenes later she's smiling at the guy and trying to save him.

I love Glenn, and no need to put him in danger again so soon. To me, it would have made more sense to have Enid in that position. It would have felt as if after Glenn talked her around that her death would have served a purpose and then have Abraham make the save so going forward Enid has more of a connection to the group after helping save Maggie and then being saved herself.

I'll let the fact that everyone turned into expert walker-killers go as it was time the Alexandriams stepped up and is important going forward that Rick has hope in their situation.

Did Daryl really need another rocket to light up the lake, ha!

There was good stuff in this episode too, but it felt like this episode should have been episode 8, and not have us wait 3 months for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭LandoCalrissian

Well I thought that was class

I cannot over emphasise the feeling of "Fcuk Yeah" that I got when Daryl shot the **** outta Negan's bikers with a bazooka

I was straight away thinking here we go again Daryl, Abraham and Sasha are going to be kidnapped and its back to the split group scenario

Ehhhh no - how about we just blow up all the bad guys and head back to Alexandria to save the day

I agree that was a much better idea by Daryl :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

emotional rollercoaster of an episode. literally on the edge of my seat for most of it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

sonofenoch wrote: »
    How does Rick trust a bat **** crazy priest with his toddler .....who couldn't even defend himself against that toddler if it kicked off

This was my only real issue, convinced Judith was dead, even the way he talked, convinced the priest was going to sacrifice Judith for her own good, as in the world was to dark for her, better off dead.

Also having two churches was odd, convinced Glenn and teen girl where going to set fire to the place as the priest came in another door, then I remembered his garage place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

It was a crazy episode.
    Crazy good or crazy bad... I'm still trying to make my mind up :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

If consider myself a hardcore fan, in that I can regularly ignore plot holes or ropy writing but last night irked me more than once. Good episode but not great imo,

The bad:
    How did the bikers not see Daryl struggle and kill the guy at the back of the truck? His body was out to the side?

It was a big-ass truck and their attention was focused on the other two. they all had their guns trained on them.
    Why was the ending of episode 8 ignored? Sam kept calling his mother, it was a cliffhanger and then... no, everything is fine.
    Yeah, that was a bit lame.
    Could they not have found a house for safety, then have Rick go on a run to the armory?

Rick was piss3d that his one chance at getting the auld leg over was gone munchie (oh, and Kooorrlllll got capped in the eye as well, I guess) so he wasn't thinking straight.

The Wolf story felt underdeveloped too. I remarked to my gf that Dr. Denise (the actress) was doing a good job of being scared and then just scenes later she's smiling at the guy and trying to save him.

She should have let him die, what an assh0le.

Did Daryl really need another rocket to light up the lake, ha!
    Yeah, that was a waste.

Despite a few misgivings, I really enjoyed it and gave it a 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Couldn't give it a 10 as I thought there were much better episodes. Didn't like that little montage of everyone's a stone cold killer now yeehaaww bit at the end. The zombie chomping a bit out of the youngfellas head was glorious. Doc and Wolf having a moment together was stupid. Darryl getting stabbed and then killing a guy without anyone hearing/seeing? Quietest....fight...ever.

Morgan was such a great character but I cringe everytime he either refuses to kill someone or starts swinging the stick stick around. He's one step away from making Hi-Yaw sounds.

I really hope Negan isn't kept for a 5 second cameo in the end season finale.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Ridiculous. The show is over for me. Plot threads unraveling just when it looks like something is happening. Does the show even know where it's going? The bikers, killed pretty stupidly, the wolves...gone in a bite. Some ****ty characters died...yaaaaay.

Shambolic writing. I cant defend it any further. It's just a nothing at this stage. Glenn being surrounded again and still surviving despite the odds? Come off it. That was actually a joke?

Rick is the only character.

I think the people giving it 10 are out of their minds but fair enough. Glad ye enjoyed it.

It has about one, maybe two episodes a half season but it's not worth the effort. There's too much other TV to watch to waste time on this any longer.

I hear what you're saying but then many like me stick with out of habit and the hope of the odd gem more than anything else (that certainly wasn't last night's episode, felt too rushed weak and not believable to me) .....it's all so predictable, a small handful of invincibles who you know will get out of any situation.....other new characters come and go and you find yourself not caring because they're hopeless at anything (acting mostly).......any new villains who enter don't have any sense of menace they come and go also .....then you have characters like Eugene poorly acted who should have gone long ago when the hope of a cure went but he's still there doing nothing talking in riddles like Yoda with a mullet.....Morgan another, had the potential to be as strong a character as Rick but his story has been allowed drift nowhere, so much so he's become a bit part player.....no doubt he'll meet his end in some big finale or other .........this series reached it's peak around the time the likes of the Governer and Merle were involved, a good story well written with strong actors.........everything else since has mostly been all a bit 'meh'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Was a cracking episode but it was full of plot holes. As mentioned the 3 month cliffhanger of the kid calling his mother and putting them in danger completely ignored. Very strange. It's like they changed their minds and re-filmed this episode.

How the doctor knew Carl had been shot? She didn't see him get shot.

I don't buy the fact Daryl was hide completely by the truck, he even made the point of saying it was a struggle to kill the guy but nobody heard a peep from 15 metres away.

The fact one minute a human can get blindsided by 2 zombies and killed but be surrounded by hundreds and fend them of kills the consistency.

I'm not going to dwell too much on it though cause over all it was enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Certainly not a 10 for me. Rick and co taking on the horde was a bit stupid and they seemed to suddenly be quite passive zombies. Also, I didn't know zombies would walk into fire lemming-like. A good episode, but there's been better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

titan18 wrote: »
    How did people not vote that a 10? Just finished it and I want to watch it again, absolutely fantastic. I'd regard that as one of the best episodes of any TV show I've ever watched. So many moments where I was like :eek:

For me have to knock a few points off as my OCD just cannot accept the instant move from daylight to darkness. Other than that one of the best episodes yet. Also the fire in the water shouldn't kill Zombies, attract them fair enough but not kill them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭OrgasmicBaz

Didnt give it a 10 because i thought the zombie killing bit at the end was ridiculous. I much prefer the show when the zombies are an actual threat. To have nobody die at the end i thought was too far fetched. With a zombie swarm like that they could of killed off a few characters. I never read any of the comics but it seems they are running out of ideas for the show

Hope they can turn it around cause i really do like the show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

As sadistic as it is I was quite happy to see Carl get is eye blown out, my least favourite character ever

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I really enjoyed that episode, particularly the biker bbq, and the killing montage at the end.

The kid seemed finally to be halfway to growing a pair, when he loses his nerve and gets eaten. Mother just checked out at that stage, and other kid finally decides to try to take out Carl. Slaughter. The kid in the blue onesie was tough to see. Ricks kamikaze run outside was madness, I don't know whether he was trying to kill himself, or all the walkers, or whether he had any plan, but it worked out. Not even a brb, got to kill something? Little help?

Why was yer one up on the wall staying on the rickety part, rather than the nice walkway that enid managed to use?

I see that walkers also now enjoy a good bbq, and will walk into any available fire. Good to know.

Rick will clearly not be getting any action any time soon, so understandably devastated.

About Rick's speech to Carl, was it hope he hadn't felt since before he woke up? Kinda daft, i'm sure he's had a couple of hope speeches.

Love GI Ginger asking Glenn to open the gates. :-)

The ring of ordinary people, rather than the usual fighters teaming together to fight off the walkers was great to see. Eugene and the Priest kicking ass was also a long time coming. Morgan needs to realize he can't zen his way out of everything by now. .

Bit strange when the gang were covered in zombie goo, they decided to stop and have a pow wow?

The doctor / wolf chit chat was a bit of a waste, oh, he's good now! Oh, he's dead! Bad way to treat Dave Grohl.

Doctor also clearly used her spidey senses to ascertain that Carl had been shot.

Advertisement