Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

tomjohn01 wrote: »
    Hi, this may be answered already, but can you use your own router with imagine?

Yes you can , with the caveat that some of their older hardware doesn't support bridge mode so if you got install a few years ago , you might need to get them to upgrade the hardware , which is a €100 call-out fee.

You just have to call them to get them to enable it for you , they may ask you to send them an email formally requesting it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Helpneeded86

I am getting stung for a £100 cancel fee. I was pretty shocked as I have them 20 months and apparently it is a 24 month contract.

I am moving to an area with no coverage.

I get the contract states what it states. If I refuse to pay can they put a strike against my credit rating?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Gav_96

My neighbour got them in yesterday, 80 down on wifi at 6:30pm, the guy outside told me the tower went up 2 days ago so very little customers so far. currently on 7mb connection that stable. you think I will most of the time get better than 7?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭rodge123

Anyone else experiencing issues in cappagh, north Kildare mast this evening?

Pretty much unusable compared to the usual just about meets our needs!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭Ardent

rodge123 wrote: »
    Anyone else experiencing issues in cappagh, north Kildare mast this evening?

Pretty much unusable compared to the usual just about meets our needs!

It always goes to sh*t shortly after 9 pm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭MuddyDog

Apparently a new mast has gone up in my area and it has 5g speeds of up to 150mb. Sales guy rang the doorbell asking if I was interested. I had imagine 2 years or so ago for a few months before cancelling as the speeds dropped way too much at peak times and it regularly cut out for a few mins here and there. He said those were old masts and equipment and it has all been upgraded recently in my area. Has anyone recently switched to these newer masts and if so how has the service been? I online game a lot so low ping and a stable connection is vital for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭mossie

MuddyDog wrote: »
    Apparently a new mast has gone up in my area and it has 5g speeds of up to 150mb. Sales guy rang the doorbell asking if I was interested. I had imagine 2 years or so ago for a few months before cancelling as the speeds dropped way too much at peak times and it regularly cut out for a few mins here and there. He said those were old masts and equipment and it has all been upgraded recently in my area. Has anyone recently switched to these newer masts and if so how has the service been? I online game a lot so low ping and a stable connection is vital for me!

First, they don't do 5g, it's 5g ready apparently but not currently 5g. I have reasonable download speed, average 80 Mbps and ping is ok. Upload speed is only around 5 Mbps which might affect gaming. My connection is also prone to dropping completely and staying down anything from 1 to 10 minutes. So far when I contact them all I get is "your connection is working now" nothing about the times when it's not.

Overall I'm reasonably happy with it as it's far better than any other option but if/when NBI comes my way I'll be leaving Imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭MuddyDog

Thanks mosie. Yeah that's right he said 5g around the end of the year so I might sign up then to see what the story is unless fibre becomes available before. I'll stick with Whizzy for now anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭ArrBee

Ive read a few pages back but not the entire thread.
    I saw talk of a hidden daily limit (and uncapped period at night time) and the monthly FUP.

But is there any info on blocking or throttling/prioritising based on site or traffic type?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mercurystorm

They claim not to have any site specific blocks.. however...

I run a Plex Media Server on a hosted dedicated server out of Germany, for approx 2 weeks I was unable to stream from that server at all - Speed tests to that specific server came to 0.16mb down.. friends on Eir on 100mb DSL got 98mb speed test and friend on 500mb virgin cable got 350mb speed test

I moved to another provider with a new IP address and voila I can stream again perfectly with no issues - They are definitely throttling the IP of my old server (as much as they deny it)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Call me cynical but why would they block a (assuming) private IP with what is most likely reasonably small amounts of traffic being generated to their network overall? Unless it was some weirdly popular plex share...

It's more likely (still not a good situation) that there was a serious issue with routing to that host. Did you reach out to them to troubleshoot at all?
    To be fair, if it was me, I'd probably take the path of least resistance as you did changing host after an initial contact and denial of issue from Imagine.

Personally, I've not seen any site or traffic specific shaping / throttling. Normally if it's **** for one protocol, it's **** for all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,978 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I saw a gathering of about 7 Imagine branded jeeps and trucks in Inishowen yesterday, with a load of workers all having a break together.

They must be up here getting the new services set up.

We were told start to mid July for the commencement of the service.

Have been having a lot of problems with Imagine for a few months. My connection speeds have dropped by around 50% but the most problematic part has been regular loss of connection which can last from maybe a minute up to 5 minutes or even more often in the middle of zoom meetings. I called them yesterday and to be fair the guy I spoke to was most helpful. He reviewed my connection over the last few months and said there was a clear problem with the "metrics" and there could be a number of causes ranging from tree growth to connection to the wrong cell. He's arranged for a call out next week so hopefully there will be a solution.

After the hard sell from the Imagine guys, decided against switching to them. For now at least. In no small part to a lot of issues I have read about online.

Also chatting them, I wasn't filled with confidence about getting the 150meg they claimed I'd get.

They said each transmitter has the ability to output 1tb speed. And it holds 150 users max. I asked surely if all 150 are online, they there is no chance they are going to get anywhere near of 150meg. I said I'd be happy with probably 50meg at peak times, but to be honest I would doubt that would be possible too.

Also, I was told if I'm unhappy with their service after 4 months there is a special deal of getting out of the contract of €100, rather than paying rest of the 60 per month contract. So if they provide me with a rubbish service despite promising everything, I have to pay them more money to leave? Ah, no thanks.

I will listen out to my neighbours, once I find a few who have signed up, to see how they are finding it, before considering them in the future.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

NIMAN wrote: »
    They said each transmitter has the ability to output 1tb speed.
    Hah! That's hilarious.

Assuming a spectral efficiency of 25b/s/Hz, that would require 40GHz of 3.5GHz bandwidth. The problem with that should be fairly obvious...

mossie wrote: »
    Have been having a lot of problems with Imagine for a few months. My connection speeds have dropped by around 50% but the most problematic part has been regular loss of connection which can last from maybe a minute up to 5 minutes or even more often in the middle of zoom meetings. I called them yesterday and to be fair the guy I spoke to was most helpful. He reviewed my connection over the last few months and said there was a clear problem with the "metrics" and there could be a number of causes ranging from tree growth to connection to the wrong cell. He's arranged for a call out next week so hopefully there will be a solution.

Had the guys out yesterday. Had to move the receiver because something was getting in the way of the signal and causing the drops in connection. Moved the receiver to the other end of house and it's back to normal, no drops and faster than for some time.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Hah! That's hilarious.

Assuming a spectral efficiency of 25b/s/Hz, that would require 40GHz of 3.5GHz bandwidth. The problem with that should be fairly obvious...

Yeah I asked the guy plenty of questions and quite often I could tell he was waffling.

Now I am no expert by any means, but I would have plenty of experience of technology and good and bad broadband providers over the years, so I can spot nonsense when I hear it.

Problem is, many homeowners are totally baffled by their patter, and just believe everything they are told, and will sign on the dotted line.

On my walks over the last few days, I have been looking out for a house with their receiver now installed. Haven't found one yet.

Occasionally whatsapp is very slow for me on imagine despite fast speed tests
    Anyone else find that
    Sending a video now and it's just stuck

sending a video is upload, and Imagine upload speed is DISMAL, especially in the evening

What is even worse is that one device uploading can basically take down the entire connection until the upload is completed as the route to send packets to request websites etc is so congested it cannot...

I only get 2mb upload speed on really lucky days, most of the times its around 1mb!

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭spankalish

No broadband signal since 4pm today, on Ballinrobe mast.

Get it sorted. It's been up and down the whole time. Joke of a service!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭bennyineire

spankalish wrote: »
    No broadband signal since 4pm today, on Ballinrobe mast.

Get it sorted. It's been up and down the whole time. Joke of a service!

You do know we are all customers here and not actually imagine broadband themselves? :pac::pac:

You do know we are all customers here and not actually imagine broadband themselves? :pac::pac:

I want you @bennyineire to get the sh1t sorted. Useless service!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Dero

In fairness we're probably as useful as Imagine themselves anyway.

Dero wrote: »
    In fairness we're probably as useful as Imagine themselves anyway.

That was my exact thought! 🀣

spankalish wrote: »
    That was my exact thought! :)/quote]

Kinda glad I didn't sign up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Snow angel

Do Imagine still have the 20gb daily limit?

If so how does anyone working from home use it? I would be on zoom for 5-6 hours a day with plenty of files uploads and downloads. Will it be adequate. My neighbour has it and has 67 download 4 upload. I have hollocore floors so would need another router upstairs in an access point.

Snow angel wrote: »

If so how does anyone working from home use it? I would be on zoom for 5-6 hours a day with plenty of files uploads and downloads. Will it be adequate. My neighbour has it and has 67 download 4 upload. I have hollocore floors so would need another router upstairs in an access point.

yes they do! And its pretty bad working from home, often voice quality on video calls is degraded

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

As a note, was only on zoom yesterday for 7hrs with 25 other people, no files downloaded. used 12.93GB data, no slowdowns at all. (Wicklow area)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

yes they do! And its pretty bad working from home, often voice quality on video calls is degraded

No , they don't , at least not explicitly.

There's the 1TB Monthly limit but they do have a "excessive daily usage" limit which for most people seems to kick in somewhere in the upper 20's (~26/27GB) - It's based on a certain % usage level above the average for your mast.

If you hit that you get de-prioritised for the remainder of that day - You can still use the system , but you are at the back of the queue relative to all the other users on your mast/cell.

The impact of de-prioritisation is entirely dependent on how busy the mast you are connected to is. Post up your general location and people here can let you know what the situation is near you.

For example , I used to be connected to the Maghera Mast and it was very busy so when I got de-prioritised my connection became essentially unusable getting maybe 0.1Mb/s .

I got moved to a new mast a few months ago and now I wouldn't know if I've been deprioritised or not as because it's brand new there aren't many users so even being at the back of the queue doesn't really make any difference.

I work from Home all the time and always have , certainly since I've moved to the new mast I don't have any issues.

I'd average about 25Gb of peak usage every day so I use about ~750GB of peak usage each month.

However I make use of the free off peak downloaded for big updates etc - Typically I'd be downloading ~500GB each month during off-peak.

Advertisement