Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Sligo and Environs Development Plan 2010 - 2016

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

I wouldnt mind guessing that a lot of people out of the area and finding themselves in the retail park up in Carraroe and not knowing the history of the SEDP plan and the restrictions of what items can be sold up that end of the woods, would be automatically expecting a large Modern Tesco store there (I will use Tesco as an example , but it could be any other store like Dunnes or LIDL or ALDI) either in the empty units that are presently there in the retail park or even situated either side or opposite the retail park and be surprised at the size/position/location and layout of the present Tesco in the town and would be scratching their heads and saying "why dont Tesco move up to the retail park?"

We all know that (well OK Presume) that the grand plans that a large/decent size Tesco was going to be built in the Tesco Car park (was it Treasury holdings or something that was going to build it years ago?) well thats well and truly dead in the waters now.

Who, knows. This restriction could be lifted and Still maybe Tesco or another Food Superstore like them might say "no thanks, not interested, we dont wanna move up there " fair enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭T-Bird

IMO, Carraroe was built at a time of false and inflated ambitions. It would suit a bigger population like Galway or Dublin. But is far too big for this area.

T-Bird wrote: »
    IMO, Carraroe was built at a time of false and inflated ambitions. It would suit a bigger population like Galway or Dublin. But is far too big for this area.

really? - in who's eyes, - no, I dont think so personally. I think because of the particular layout of Sligo Town centre, the streets and the parking and the delivery for lorries its one of the best things thats gone ahead for the town ... now, only if they could use it to its full potential up there it will be a lot better...

really? - in who's eyes, - no, I dont think so personally. I think because of the particular layout of Sligo Town centre, the streets and the parking and the delivery for lorries its one of the best things thats gone ahead for the town ... now, only if they could use it to its full potential up there it will be a lot better...

Well my point was that you can only have so many of the one thing. For instance when it first opened there where 5? Furniture stores. Then you have Roemer, 1 at Duncan's island and I think one in the high street. All arms the same price and not too dissimilar in choice. That was peak when banks were given out loans all over. The population could not sustain them all, and certainly not now.

So my argument was what else could go there with the way the law currently stands? And also be able to sustain itself and not cause negative effect to other similar business.

Rent, and other overheads such as heating and electricity will be quite substantial due to the unit sizes. So turnover has to be quite huge.

Well my point was that you can only have so many of the one thing. For instance when it first opened there where 5? Furniture stores. Then you have Roemer, 1 at Duncan's island and I think one in the high street. All arms the same price and not too dissimilar in choice. That was peak when banks were given out loans all over. The population could not sustain them all, and certainly not now.

So my argument was what else could go there with the way the law currently stands?

well its not really Law stopping a supermarket grocers opening up there really is it, its a plan set up by the (defunct) borough council and CoCo and/or chamber isnt it? (although I don't really know for certain myself who made the rule, i am just predicting)
    And also be able to sustain itself and not cause negative effect to other similar business.

I think a well known mainstream supermarket will be more than capable of that. - and it wont cause negative effect to the other businesses in that park/area ... I think it will make them busier and give them more footfall through their doors
    Rent, and other overheads such as heating and electricity will be quite substantial due to the unit sizes. So turnover has to be quite huge.

• Advertisement

rizzodun wrote: »

I would love to think the owners of the retail park up there or their representatives/manager(s) will go to these public meetings and give out stink there asking/fighting for the restriction of certain goods be lifted in the new plan if it isnt already. - it can only be good for the park itself up there and existing businesses.

Information Sessions
    During the consultation period, a number of public consultation/information sessions will be held in each Municipal District of the County. Proposed dates and venues are listed below.

Date Location Time
    Thursday, 20 October Teach Laighne, Meeting Room 1, Tobercurry 3.00 pm – 7.00 pm

Thursday, 27 October Council Chamber, City Hall, Quay Street, Sligo 3.00 pm – 7.00 pm

Thursday, 3 November Ballymote Community Library, Teeling Street, Ballymote 3.00 pm – 7.00 pm

Every Tuesday afternoon during the consultation period, planners will be available to meet the public in the Planning Section, City Hall, Quay Street, Sligo, from 2.30 pm to 4.00 pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

I would love to think the owners of the retail park up there or their representatives/manager(s) will go to these public meetings and give out stink there asking/fighting for the restriction of certain goods be lifted in the new plan if it isnt already. - it can only be good for the park itself up there and existing businesses.

Restrictions on retail parks are set out in section 28 guidelines, which are created under legislation, ie. the law.

You will have to change this at a national level, not local. Raising it in those meetings won't do anything.

As it should be...

moleyv wrote: »
    Restrictions on retail parks are set out in section 28 guidelines, which are created under legislation, ie. the law.

You will have to change this at a national level, not local. Raising it in those meetings won't do anything.

As it should be...

ah right thats a shame ! .. see i'm just a layman/consumer , I dont know about these things :( - all I see is a very capable area up there for a large supermarket I difnt think it was legislation at national level , I though / presumed with what I read that the sligo coco or the sligo chamber of commerce had got Bord Pleanala to upheld what can and cannot be sold up there?

moleyv wrote: »
    Without reading it, retail warehouses should only sell bulky goods. It is set out in the retail planning guidelines 2012. These will always take precedence over a development plan or retail strategy. There are some grey areas, but groceries isn't one. There have been exceptions, zoning would have to allow it and it would need a new planning permission.

I don't know Sligo, so can't comment on individual sites; just the thread title caught my attention.

this is where it gets silly and certainly crosses lines - sure they are retail warehoses up there at the retail park, but you can buy a small box of screws from homebase, a set of knives from homestore and more, a computer lead from PC World - hardly 'bulky' items :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

this is where it gets silly and certainly crosses lines - sure they are retail warehoses up there at the retail park, but you can buy a small box of screws from homebase, a set of knives from homestore and more, a computer lead from PC World - hardly 'bulky' items :)
    The small items you mention are accessories associated with the bulky items they sell.
    You hardly think they should have seperate shops for those?

• Advertisement

red sean wrote: »
    The small items you mention are accessories associated with the bulky items they sell.
    You hardly think they should have seperate shops for those?

True I suppose - on reading the

http://www.housing.gov.ie/sites/default/files/migrated-files/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/Planning/FileDownLoad%2C30026%2Cen.pdf

it says:

While it is acknowledged that there are ancillary items associated with an otherwise
    bulky good, e.g. computer software, printing paper, it is recommended that the retail
    floorspace devoted to such ancillary products should not exceed 20% of the total net
    retail floorspace of the relevant retail unit

So thats how they must get away with it - although whether that is actually enforced after the premises is up and running may be another matter.

Just wondering how Castlebar & Carrick on Shannon both have large Tesco foodstore up in their retail parks (to name just 2 retail parks I have been to) and how they got around it/ the planning permissions?

overshoot wrote: »
    .. Anyway, id expect Lidl should soon have planning just off the N15 wont that be easy enough access for you?

been searching on the net about this, where's your source please?

Just wondering how Castlebar & Carrick on Shannon both have large Tesco foodstore up in their retail parks (to name just 2 retail parks I have been to) and how they got around it/ the planning permissions?

They are probably set up within the permitted boundaries and therefore exempt. That's just a guess btw. Tesco I think did look for planning permission within the boundary (near Cannings spar), not sure what happened about it.

They are probably set up within the permitted boundaries and therefore exempt. That's just a guess btw. Tesco I think did look for planning permission within the boundary (near Cannings spar), not sure what happened about it.

ah yes, I found this earlier on the planning site, 2005 planning sought by Tesco to build a development of a 3.83 hectare site to consist of an elevated single level self-service store selling food and non-food goods with a gross floor area of 10,804m2 in Carraroe - withdrawn though

What a shame, sounds like it would have been great.

http://www.eplanning.ie/SligoCC/AppFileRefDetails/051049/0

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭overshoot

been searching on the net about this, where's your source please?

As with every planning application in sligo... The Sligo county council website....
    It's at FI stage so unless you have already made an observation it's too late. Obviously could still be refused... But think it should be ok

Btw withdrawn is (generally) short for, it was about to be refused but they didn't want the history on the site.

overshoot wrote:
    Btw withdrawn is (generally) short for, it was about to be refused but they didn't want the history on the site.

They meaning Tesco?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭overshoot

They meaning Tesco?

Yep although I haven't actually looked at that application, seems a reasonable assumption.
    Tbh never really seen the point in withdrawal. A rejection gives clear reasons to address, any new application is still going to be measured on the same criteria and get the same result

ah yes, I found this earlier on the planning site, 2005 planning sought by Tesco to build a development of a 3.83 hectare site to consist of an elevated single level self-service store selling food and non-food goods with a gross floor area of 10,804m2 in Carraroe - withdrawn though

What a shame, sounds like it would have been great.

http://www.eplanning.ie/SligoCC/AppFileRefDetails/051049/0

Holy moly! I thought it was about 5 years ago at most. Time flies....

Just wondering if anyone on here went to any of these meeting on these dates and what was said or how things went re plan for selling small items up in Carraroe Retail park?

Thursday, 20 October Teach Laighne, Meeting Room 1, Tobercurry 3.00 pm – 7.00 pm

Thursday, 27 October Council Chamber, City Hall, Quay Street, Sligo 3.00 pm – 7.00 pm

Thursday, 3 November Ballymote Community Library, Teeling Street, Ballymote 3.00 pm – 7.00 pm

• Advertisement
Advertisement