Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

MiGs for Ireland?

• 29-01-2016 8:12pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Well this is Walter Mitty forum and I didn't want to post it in the normal Ireland air defence thread..

Anyway I'm a big fan of eastern militaria, always have been and I've often wondered what sort of air force and army Ireland could build if they were able to purchase cheaper russian/soviet equipment?

There is still plenty of russian gear in what are now EU countries that could be available in a few years so if Ireland needed to make a proper even if largely symbolic attempt to defend it's airspace and ignoring the politics, could MiG-29s provide a cheap possibility?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Its not the inital cost of such equipment thats a problem. Its the incredible cost of keeping them airworthy, with Irelands current defense budget there is simply no scope or need for such a expense.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Of course, that's why I posted it in this forum, let your imagination run free ;)
    edit: well not totally free, otherwise you'd just buy the best obviously, but you know what I mean
    I don't know so much about the numbers so some estimates would be very welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Heres an indication of how much some of the US aircraft cost per flight hour.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/chart-shows-hourly-cost-of-military-aircraft-2014-12?r=US&IR=T

So in the range of $11,000 to $44,000 per flight hour

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

What is the deal with the 'same-ness' of Russian aircraft?

Take 4 current examples:
    Mig-35, SU-30, SU-34, SU-35.

All two engined... massive, 30+ tonne, Mark 2 speed, 9-10 hardpoints, look sorta similar...

Why so many types of very similar planes?

Well this is Walter Mitty forum and I didn't want to post it in the normal Ireland air defence thread..

Anyway I'm a big fan of eastern militaria, always have been and I've often wondered what sort of air force and army Ireland could build if they were able to purchase cheaper russian/soviet equipment?

There is still plenty of russian gear in what are now EU countries that could be available in a few years so if Ireland needed to make a proper even if largely symbolic attempt to defend it's airspace and ignoring the politics, could MiG-29s provide a cheap possibility?

Its kinda like picking Android or Apple.....

Whichever you chose, you are locked into their respective environment for good....
    So you get their respective equipment, apps, and other products....

So you would want to chose wisely which environment you plumb for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Ehh the SU-30, SU-34 & SU-35 are all Su-27 Flanker Derivatives. Like say the F-15E is a derivative of the F-15A.

Nate

Ehh the SU-30, SU-34 & SU-35 are all Su-27 Flanker Derivatives. Like say the F-15E is a derivative of the F-15A.

Nate

really?

Didn't know that.

Its kinda like picking Android or Apple.....

Whichever you chose, you are locked into their respective environment for good....
    So you get their respective equipment, apps, and other products....

So you would want to chose wisely which environment you plumb for.
    The price analogy fits too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

I'm sure Dennis O'Brien would have enough money to pay for the maintenance and upkeep of those planes!

I'm sure Dennis O'Brien would have enough money to pay for the maintenance and upkeep of those planes!

So would any billionaire??
    What is your point? :confused:

Besides, from his hollowed-out mountain lair in Wicklow, pantomime villain Dinny can only deploy helicopters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭sparky42

In terms of what Eastern Europe has, they've spent a fair bit integrating them into NATO standard systems (think Poland is doing it for all those Eastern European nations), but even then you are talking airframes that have seen plenty of use by the time they are free.

There's also the fact that getting parts/spares from Russia would be difficult as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Even former WarPac nations opted to keep old MiG 21s going rather than try and sustain MiG 29s, because of the sheer grief in dealing with Russian suppliers.

Getting spare parts would be a big problem them alright, what about buying the planes new then? Versions of the SU-30 are still being made and come in around $30 mill I think

Getting spare parts would be a big problem them alright, what about buying the planes new then? Versions of the SU-30 are still being made and come in around $30 mill I think

Doesn't matter new or old, Russia can be a pain to get spares from even for long term customers (look at India's issues), let alone a EU nation that they are currently having issues with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

If we were going to spend some money on air defence, would we not be better off opting for something like the Gripen?

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

as its the walter mitty forum I suggest a large balloon with some air to air missiles and tethered in athlone it can bob about over the country protecting a limited area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

sheesh wrote: »
    as its the walter mitty forum I suggest a large balloon with some air to air missiles and tethered in athlone it can bob about over the country protecting a limited area

B-SR4B5IgAAp7uG.jpg
    Sorted.

So a few Igla missiles? How much will that cost? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

But he'd charge the government through the nose for the privilege.

=-=

I'd say get some A-10's. The US government have decided not to moth-ball them, they can fly after sustaining a lot of enemy fire, and cost just over €17 million. They have been around since 1972, and are still being made, thus we may be able to blag some second hand stuff for it, as well as get mechanics who'd be qualified to fix them.

the_syco wrote: »

=-=

I'd say get some A-10's. The US government have decided not to moth-ball them, they can fly after sustaining a lot of enemy fire, and cost just over €17 million. They have been around since 1972, and are still being made, thus we may be able to blag some second hand stuff for it, as well as get mechanics who'd be qualified to fix them.

They stopped being made 30+ years ago.
    And aside from that, there may not be less suitable plane in the world for Ireland.

You are one step away from suggesting zeppelins!

• Advertisement

We could just head over to Davis-Montana.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQWpFJ-Q5RmyCadEVxf7Hlg0YAQahN3EG2IE2Eqs4CSBipi3-jUOw

We could just head over to Davis-Montana.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQWpFJ-Q5RmyCadEVxf7Hlg0YAQahN3EG2IE2Eqs4CSBipi3-jUOw

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

could we not just buy a regular plane and fly next to the russian bombers with its transponders on so that they are less of a risk to commercial flights.
    if needs be have a guy in a pressure suit and a heavy machine gun open a door and shoot at them.

or alternatively throw sods of turf at them.

Is anyone seriously suggesting we are going to shoot a russian bomber out of the sky

If we were going to spend some money on air defence, would we not be better off opting for something like the Gripen?
    Looking solely at base price it's twice as expensive as the russian planes though, not to mention you would probably get the retired slovakian or polish migs for close to nothing. Of course it's not much good if you cant keep them serviceable and spares are hard to come by

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Is anyone seriously suggesting we are going to shoot a russian bomber out of the sky
    The Russians fly the bears into UK airspace to say hello. They are old, very obvious, and very identifiable. If anyone shot one down, a Blackjack would probably be sent in to respond.

Looking solely at base price it's twice as expensive as the russian planes though, not to mention you would probably get the retired slovakian or polish migs for close to nothing. Of course it's not much good if you cant keep them serviceable and spares are hard to come by

Bare in mind the slovakian/polish migs could have a spotty support record even pre end of the Soviet Union, not to mention all the issues of us basically being a NATO user base...

the_syco wrote: »

=-=

Yeah apart from not being built, they are ground support airplanes, designed for bombing the crap out of Tanks in Germany (or anything else they need to post 91), but for air defence, they are 300 knot airframes, the bears could outfly them with ease...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

It would be pointless for Ireland to buy legacy Russian planes when for 250 mill we could have a fleet of UAVs with the possibility of armament.

JJJJNR wrote: »
    It would be pointless for Ireland to buy legacy Russian planes when for 250 mill we could have a fleet of UAVs with the possibility of armament.

Right now pretty much all the UAV's in operation are designed for air to ground not air to air, there's also again speed issues (ie the latest Predator variant, the Avenger is 200 km/h slower than the Bears), so again I fail to see how UAV's could meet such a requirement.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Was there not talk in the Dail about leasing F-16's from Holland? Cheaper than buying.

On Russian equipment, after it took over the DDR's Mig's NATO discovered that the engines are only good for 8-12 hours before they need changed.

All they had to do was get the Warsaw pact planes up often enough and eventually they would all be on the ground waiting for engine swaps.

The Luftwaffe got rid of the ex DDR MIGs as soon as it could.

Advertisement