Advertisement
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

Teaching English as a foreign language in NZ

Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭ CM24

Does anyone know if you could make a living doing this anywhere in New Zealand?

I have an Arts Degree from UCD with a Major in English. However, I have not done any specific ''teacher training''. I understand I'd probably have to do one of those CELTA or TEFL courses for at least 4 weeks before I could teach.

I had a friend in Australia who was a Law graduate with no teaching experience but then did her CELTA course and she taught English to foreign students in universities in Melbourne and she was making crazy money, like $70 per lecture or more.

I'm planning to go to New Zealand in the coming weeks on a WHV but haven't yet decided what job I'll be looking for over there or what city to settle down in.

I'd like to give the teaching a shot and just wanted to see if anyone could advise me on whether it's worthwhile in New Zealand?

Comments

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement