Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Raw 04/01/2016 *Spoilers*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Given their booking patterns for years now this is really naive imo.

Roman going over 4 guys at once wasn't enough, have him go over 29 dammit!

They've made the Rumble all about one man and the entire Rumble now will be whether he can "overcome the odds" and then he either wins, or gets screwed.

It's so tedious, artificial and I couldn't give a ****.

Horrendous company.

I think if Roman wins, and thE fans poop all over it ALA LIKE LAST YEAR .... they have the back door of building up a challenger against him for the run up to Mania.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

beakerjoe wrote: »
    I think if Roman wins, and thE fans poop all over it ALA LIKE LAST YEAR .... they have the back door of building up a challenger against him for the run up to Mania.

It's moronic though. They plough ahead with stupid plans, and only when it's a completely inescapable fact that it's going down the crapper do they try and fix it (unless it's mid-card, then we just get what feels like an endless feud between the likes of Ziggler and Rusev). The same song and dance the last two Rumbles, which is why I have no faith in this one doing anything other than sucking.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

beakerjoe wrote: »

Thing is though, we always hope they have something planned, I always try to be optimistic and hope for the best but they never do. Survivor Series they had a big chance to establish a major heel, didn't bother. I don't see this being any different.

Problem with Reigns having no credible opponents means all drama is eliminated. Sure you have Brock, great.....who the fans will all cheer. I honestly think the fans will cheer Cena and boo Reigns when they feud.

Kevin Owens was the one man....and he loses to Neville in 15 seconds and they mock his appearance every 5 seconds.

And it's in Orlando. Ooops.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

I think bray wins the title at the rumble then wrestles brock at mania.

hhh vs roman at mania with the rock involved in some way and taker vs cena as the 3 main matches

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Given their booking patterns for years now this is really naive imo.

Roman going over 4 guys at once wasn't enough, have him go over 29 dammit!

They've made the Rumble all about one man and the entire Rumble now will be whether he can "overcome the odds" and then he either wins, or gets screwed.

It's so tedious, artificial and I couldn't give a ****.

Horrendous company.

Listen, I'm all for a good bash of the WWE and their booking. I find most weeks now, I have to stop myself from posting after the show, cause I'm just going to be giving out week after week.

But I'd be amazed if Roman walks out with the title. HHH will screw him. But that one predictable moment opens up everything else. If they're smart (big if), they'll do that screwjob early so it doesn't make the new champion look like he only won it cause Roman got screwed. But do it early and the entire match then can be about crowning a new champ.

If they do go down the "Roman kills everyone" route, I'll be pissed. But there's enough potential here for a great main event that I'm willing to be optimistic about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Listen, I'm all for a good bash of the WWE and their booking. I find most weeks now, I have to stop myself from posting after the show, cause I'm just going to be giving out week after week.

But I'd be amazed if Roman walks out with the title. HHH will screw him. But that one predictable moment opens up everything else. If they're smart (big if), they'll do that screwjob early so it doesn't make the new champion look like he only won it cause Roman got screwed. But do it early and the entire match then can be about crowning a new champ.

If they do go down the "Roman kills everyone" route, I'll be pissed. But there's enough potential here for a great main event that I'm willing to be optimistic about it.

Does it really matter whether the screwjob happens early or late, all they'll talk about is the screwjob, makes a new champ look weak in my opinion

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

One thing I'd love is (spoiler from news thread):
    if the rumours of all the NJPW guys coming are true, then a few of them skip NXT. Let's say, for example, AJ Styles. AJ winning would be great, and a pretty big way to arrive.

Or Dean. I'd like Dean to finally win the big one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭cgh

what if and a big IF Daniel Bryan wins the rumble or as has been floated about Kurt Angle

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

cgh wrote: »
    what if and a big IF Daniel Bryan wins the rumble or as has been floated about Kurt Angle

Id find both hard to believe considering their health. Kurt needs to retire, he looked punch drunk for the last year or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Lord TSC wrote: »

You'll be sorry when he breaks his own elimination record and is the last guy left and gets screwed and no one else is made to look important at all :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

My guess is that they changed the Rumble stipulation because the WrestleMania title challenger, whoever that is, is not available to enter the Rumble. The first person that comes to mind is The Rock. Reigns wins the Rumble, The Rock challenges, WrestleMania main event.

Maybe The Rock will even come back as a heel for the authority.

It's not what I would do but I think this is the only reason WWE changed the Royal Rumble winner stipulation.n.

Does it really matter whether the screwjob happens early or late, all they'll talk about is the screwjob, makes a new champ look weak in my opinion

Well if the screwjob was to happen early i think it would be much better simaler to the way jericho eliminated hbk in 2003.

Have roman as number 1 entrant then hit hhh's music roman waits for him in the ring but gets attacked from behind with the sledgehammer. send roman over the top and if hhh is to keep going in the rumble then have a battered and blooded roman come back to eliminate hhh.

something like that would be better then just having roman last the entire way only to be screwed at the last minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,103 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

My guess is Roman, the champion is winning the Rumble because the challenger, whoever that is, is not available to enter the Rumble. The first person that comes to mind is The Rock. Reigns wins the Rumble, The Rock challenges, WrestleMania main event.

Maybe The Rock will even come back as a heel for the authority.

It's not what I would do but I think this is the only reason WWE changed the Royal Rumble winner stipulation.

He could but it wouldn't work. He'd be cheered in every arena.

My (wild) guess is Bryan to come out no.30, final two are Bryan and Reigns, Vince screws Bryan and shakes Reigns' hand. The Austin-fication of Reigns will be complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Dazzmondo

I'm surprised by how many actually think Reigns will retain at the Rumble. Reigns will definitely be a major part of the Rumble, and it wouldn't surprise me if he's the last guy eliminated (most likely getting screwed by Triple H), but he has very little chance of actually winning imo. I'll be genuinely shocked if Lesnar doesn't win the Rumble.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

before I talk about the announcement at the very end... Wasn't a bad Raw

*Good Divas match and story progression, glad Charlotte is heel, not a huge fan of hers but shes better heel esp with her lil naitch character. The crowd like Becky too (The one true face in the Divas division)

*Legue of nations tagging outside of a Sheamus storyline (even if it is vs Reigns buds)

*modern day job squad (Social outcasts) forming and winning- Getting Slater, Bo & Axel on TV (Rose I could take or leave)

*Brock announced to be back next week & not having to sit through Ryback vs Big Show thanks to the Wyatts

*New day with a new tron and a surprise Jericho return, okay Jericho returns dont mean as much now but still twas nice and the crowd were into it plus New Day had some fun interaction with him though cmon, get a bigger shirt Chris.... also Kalisto not getting shelved cos his partner is injured is a plus for me.

Then the main event some bits were really odd like Why did Reigns try for the pin, didn't he know he just knocked out the ref and the reveal was typical Vinnie Mac going for the wow factor though I dunno if it's a good thing.

That said if say Reigns is no.1 and HHH interferes and helps eliminate him around no.5 (setting up their non title match at Mania) then the rest of the rumble match and every entrant who comes out will have everyone hugely interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I was hoping for a Triple H return, all piss and vinegar out for Reigns after the events of TLC..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,796 ✭✭✭✭CSF

The problem with the early Reigns elimination is that it's great from the wrong perspective. If you look at it from a make the show better and make other people look stronger perspective, it makes perfect logical sense. Great TV.

But ever since the Reigns push hit full steam again, this is almost the opposite to the WWE booking policy from the last while. Which is make the show weaker by booking nobody else strong so Reigns looks even stronger

WWE do have a knack for sometimes pulling the great stuff out of the bag for the big events, just when you fear the worst. Mania 15 and Survivor Series 14 for example. But given the last 2 Royal Rumbles I certainly would not hold my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I've come to enjoy the Royal Rumble the last few years due to the sheer amount of butt-hurt it seems to cause across the board with fans young and old. Amazingly it had one of my top 3 matches last year with Seth Rollins vs. John Cena vs. Brock Lesnar. I really don't like it when the WrestleMania main event formula is tampered with. I like to know exactly what the main event of the year is going to be when the Royal Rumble goes off the air in January. I'd hope that the February pay per view is headlined by a number 1 contender's match.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Vince collapsing & waiting for Scott Armstrong when Sheamus hit Reigns with a Brouge Kick was hilarious.
    I kept thinking how mad Vince would be if someone else did that.
    Looked awful but it really made me laugh. Cheers Vince :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Yeah it looked so bad. I thought he was turning on Sheamus there and was going to wave Triple H down to the ring or something. It seemed like there was quite a delayed reaction between Sheamus covering Reigns and Vince falling over. Get the title off of the Samoan ASAP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,788 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was wondering why Charlotte had "Wood" on her top until I realised what it actually said.

The Titus/Cody match was out of place after all their interaction over previous weeks. You'd think it would lead to a PPV match rather than a random Raw match.

And the big news of the night - Social Outcasts! MOre Heath is always good.
    Looked like Ziggler messed up the bow and arrow submission

As for the final match it got very messy. What with Vince being perfectly able to count but then having to feign being too out of it and Sheamus/Reigns messing up the timing of the second Brogue kick. Wonder if that ref will be fired now for counting the pin. Jiggly Steph helped improve the match though.

Title being on the line could make things interesting as long as Reigns gets eliminated early. Vince has to put him in the number 1 slot otherwise he could pull number 30. It wouldn't surprise me if they have him win by doing what every other superstar says and actually eliminating the 29 other guys himself.

Gonna avoid the Rumble threads just because I would like surprise entrants at least. But I'd say HHH could stay off until then. Would find it funny if Reigns accidentally got eliminated though.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

Absolutely agree with everything everyone is saying - feel bad for ziggler that he is fast becoming a jobber :(

Could not believe that pin by sheamus and vince just looking at him - any1 else would have got fired for that - it was awful - like he was down and sat back up after sheamus hit the brogue kick!! haha sooo bad and obvious that they just want to push reigns down everyones throats - and honestly i hate cena for saying the same stuff but looking at reigns talk actually makes me uncomfortable - like its so weird the way he talks.... stops.... thinks.... talks again..... not like the rock or austin who were holding the crowd - almost looks like he is trying to think what he is meant to say! haha

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I actually thought this show was abysmal. I don't want to go too in-depth as it will just bring my mood down.

I have tried to defend Reigns but his delivery was so wooden. I really don't care about his family man values. I want to see this big Samoan kick ass! And I definitely don't want to see Stephanie telling the guy who's supposed to be the next big star that he is expendable and make him look like a chump.

I was disappointed that they rushed into the Becky/Charlotte turn. It looked like there was a subtle development going on about two weeks ago when they had Charlotte parading her title around the ring before Becky. It was a slow build which I generally like but the whole thing was put to fastforward here.

The Big Show/Strowman staredown was such a fail. They wanted the big gasp for the two monsters facing off but no one cares about Big Show these days. I guess him turning face for the 500th time does at least spare us having to see him in the final two of the Rumble...maybe.

Ziggler getting pinned was fine for me because I actually hate Dolph Ziggler. Okay, that might be too strong. Let's say 'strongly dislike to the point where I don't ever want to see him flip-flopping around on my TV ever again.' What annoyed me more was the formation of the 4MB 'Social Outcasts' which sounds like an idea pitched by Kevin Dunn. Hey let's have a group that can talk about trending, and Instagram and all the other bullsh*t that no one except advertising executives care about. I have nothing against these guys individually but their material is going to cause me actual pain to listen to over the coming weeks.

The New Day skit...ugh. I, like most people, turned the corner on these guys a few months back but their material the last few weeks has been mostly terrible. They look like three guys with vibrators on their heads and they are now impossible to take seriously. There was a brief period where it looked like they were being presented as a threat but now they are at Santino levels of goofiness. Judging by the crowd reaction I wasn't the only one who had no clue about the Tyson incident they were spoofing. It was channel-changing levels of annoyance for me. I think it's back to 'New Day sucks' for me at least.

The Jericho return made me sad. He touched on elements in his debut for WWE which most people didn't seem to get. His catchphrases were only mildly received and he got a pretty poor reaction I thought. Hearing rooty tooty fruity whatever the hell it was just made me cringe. To my amazement some fans chanted it but imo this was one of those segments that you absolutely dread having to watch with a non-wrestling fan.

The final announcement that the Rumble would be a title match was probably the only thing I DID like. It's been a long time since we've seen that and I think it's a nice change. I may take this back if HHH happens to walk out with the title.

Overall I think the show is dreadful at the moment and Brock's return and Mania season are the only things keeping me watching.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Pinkman

In fairness to Y2J the crowd was among the worst I've heard in years. He got a mild response but it was still probably the biggest pop of the night. Even Vince didn't get a pop - the previous week he got a massive pop. Ok I know it was in Brooklyn but that crowd last night was just terrible. I am surprised Vince didn't have a go at them for being so quiet like he did in Liverpool a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,334 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Pinkman wrote: »
    In fairness to Y2J the crowd was among the worst I've heard in years. He got a mild response but it was still probably the biggest pop of the night. Even Vince didn't get a pop - the previous week he got a massive pop. Ok I know it was in Brooklyn but that crowd last night was just terrible. I am surprised Vince didn't have a go at them for being so quiet like he did in Liverpool a few years ago.

After he entered the ring for the main event, just before it cut to the ad break he threw up a middle finger to the fans hidden behind his other hand, I'm sure he assumed the camera wouldn't pick it up. Definitely not happy with the crowd, hope he gets called out on it, very entertaining character on television but as a person I'd say he's a right gobshîte.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,788 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was thinking watching Y2J and just before he said about 16 years, that a lot of ones watching this wouldn't understand what Y2J was a play on

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

ummm, all this talk of the Rumble is disguising the massively sh*t ending that happened. So vince goes to count but then he doesnt then another bad ref comes and he messes up the count and then they all stand around and then another ref comes and counts and everyone is confused and watching this without sound was absolutely hysterical as it made ZERO sense and is probably one of the worst endings to a RAW ever. The product is so bad now. After WM ill probably take a vacation like i did back in 2005 due to the product becomming extremely bad

BMMachine wrote: »
    ummm, all this talk of the Rumble is disguising the massively sh*t ending that happened. So vince goes to count but then he doesnt then another bad ref comes and he messes up the count and then they all stand around and then another ref comes and counts and everyone is confused and watching this without sound was absolutely hysterical as it made ZERO sense and is probably one of the worst endings to a RAW ever. The product is so bad now. After WM ill probably take a vacation like i did back in 2005 due to the product becomming extremely bad

I took a break in 05 as well and when you think of it at the time it was when they were really forcing cena down our throats like they are with roman. The only difference was at least cena was super over when they tried this were roman at times doesnt get reactions.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

sky88 wrote: »
    I took a break in 05 as well and when you think of it at the time it was when they were really forcing cena down our throats like they are with roman. The only difference was at least cena was super over when they tried this were roman at times doesnt get reactions.

hes the big guy from the shield, the worst member. His finisher is the spear... have WWE learned nothing?
    Austin - Stunner
    Rock - Rock Bottom
    Bret - Sharpshooter
    Taker - Tombstone
    HHH - Pedigree
    Angle - Lock / Slam
    HBK - Superkick / Elbow Drop
    F**KING DIESEL - Jackknife
    Cena - FU
    Lesnar - F5

Reigns - THE SPEAR, the worst finisher. It was Goldbergs setup move for one of my favourite finishers of all time, the Jackhammer. I find the idea of wrestlers losing to the spear stupid, and that includes Edge (the guy that was a big star because no one else was around. he was an excellent wrestler though).
    Like if he cant talk, then give him an awesome finisher! and everytime I hear him say "Believe that!" Im just thinking "really? really? really?" like the miz because although the miz is awful, he at least has a personality and can come up with better material in his sleep. I frankly dont want to watch wrestling which is Reigns all over the product because he quite simply is not interesting at all. When I stopped watching with the Cena era, at least I could put my hand up and say that Cena was interesting but the complete lack of any good ideas killed him for me (except the RVD One Night Stand match. Cena was absolutely amazing in that). But now, you have all these guys who are going to be sacrificed at the "Believe that!" throne which bores the living crap out of me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

The entire match I was thinking "I really hope they don't use the replacement referee spot to get Reigns the win as it completely defeats the purpose of a Special Guest Referee." Not only did they use it but it was a replacement for the replacement :mad: I still don't understand what was supposed to happen after the Brogue Kick. Did Vince f*** up by getting up before it, then realised this was the finish so decided to fall over & hope nobody noticed?
    Like if he cant talk, then give him an awesome finisher! and everytime I hear him say "Believe that!" Im just thinking "really? really? really?" like the miz because although the miz is awful, he at least has a personality and can come up with better material in his sleep.

Woah woah woah.... I thought we established on this forum that Miz is awesome and criminally underused :cool:

Advertisement