Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Everton V Spurs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Unbeaten in nine away games in the league, best run in 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Lucky to come away with one point in the end, some dissappointing performances from Lamela Eriksen and Son when he came on. I also do not believe that Carroll is strong enough for that type of game. Anyway onwards and upwards with two home games next in the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

I was glad to hear the final whistle to be honest,could have gone either way in the end,thought Toby was excellent today.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

a cracking end to end game thought the draw was a fair result

tippspur wrote: »
    I was glad to hear the final whistle to be honest,could have gone either way in the end,thought Toby was excellent today.

Yeah Toby was immense, what a cracking signing he has been.

• Advertisement

davycc wrote: »
    a cracking end to end game thought the draw was a fair result

Yeah probably a fair result, was sure we were going to concede at the end but our backs stayed strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,633 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

What did you guys think of Carroll?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Thought he gave the ball away too often

He was only ok in my opinion. I just think he is very weak for central midfield and he gives the ball away a bit. I do not want to be overly harsh on him but I was screaming at the tv a few times today when he lost the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

a game we should have won but could have easily lost in the end

lots of positives

decent result

7 day welcome gap until next game

• Advertisement

a game we should have won but could have easily lost in the end

lots of positives

decent result

7 day welcome gap until next game

Maybe leave Kane out of the Cup game? It would be a nice cup to take seriously but he looked knackered today.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

KingdomYid wrote: »
    Maybe leave Kane out of the Cup game? It would be a nice cup to take seriously but he looked knackered today.

To be honest with the way the league is lining up if he doesn't rest a number of players for the cup game he should be shot

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Tom Carroll seems to be the new Lamela with Spurs fans,some like him some don't,another Marmite man.:p

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

I thought we were excellent today, albeit we only drew. Best we have played in a long time in the first half. Defended well in the second half when we needed to too. We deserved all 3 points but they are a decent side so a point isn't bad.

Keep on playing like that and we might get top 6 😉

Hatch99 wrote: »
    I thought we were excellent today, albeit we only drew. Best we have played in a long time in the first half. Defended well in the second half when we needed to too. We deserved all 3 points but they are a decent side so a point isn't bad.

Keep on playing like that and we might get top 6 😉

Yeah we were excellent on reflection, was perhaps being too picky when critiising a couple of players. We played some unreal football in the first half, we are nicely set up for the rest of the campaign. COYS

• Registered Users Posts: 9,633 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Thought he gave the ball away too often
    KingdomYid wrote:
    He was only ok in my opinion. I just think he is very weak for central midfield and he gives the ball away a bit. I do not want to be overly harsh on him but I was screaming at the tv a few times today when he lost the ball.

I wasn't impressed either. But there's quite a lot of support for him on Facebook and so forth. The SS pundits where also full of praise for him but it doesn't take much for them to get excited about young English players.

I don't think Carroll will be a regular but he played well today in fairness, the gaffer obviously sees something in him

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Dinking, twisting, jinking, turning, posturing, everything bar an end result. He's like the personification of a Martin O'Neill press conferences. Whole lot of words ultimately about nothing. Poch seems to love him. I'd have taken him off and allowed erikesn the space he needs tonwork in. Anyway

Bizarre post, you really can't understand why Lamela is in the team? Have you not noticed Spurs play a pressing game, and that Lamela is phenomenally fit and phenomenally good at pressing high up the pitch? Seriously I don't think I've ever seen such an attacking player so good at hassling and harrying the opposition.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he's an amazing player, he still makes bad decisions, although he's improved since last season, and he often mistimes tackles. But as far as doing what the manager wants, he is spot on. Plus he has 8 goals and 3 assists this season.

Eriksen I love at times, but he's been a passenger for a while now. Maybe he's tired.

Ormus wrote: »
    Bizarre post, you really can't understand why Lamela is in the team? Have you not noticed Spurs play a pressing game, and that Lamela is phenomenally fit and phenomenally good at pressing high up the pitch? Seriously I don't think I've ever seen such an attacking player so good at hassling and harrying the opposition.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he's an amazing player, he still makes bad decisions, although he's improved since last season, and he often mistimes tackles. But as far as doing what the manager wants, he is spot on. Plus he has 8 goals and 3 assists this season.

Eriksen I love at times, but he's been a passenger for a while now. Maybe he's tired.

Agreed lamela works very hard and that's part reason why he's in the team, also eriksen has been average for a while now

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭sunnyday1234

Carroll is a poor player in CM. reminds me of that small german lad we had for a few seasons .He demands the ball and once he gets it then he just passes it back to you. he runs somewhere else and repeats the same thing. Seems to think that just playing it square and having lots of touches is good enough. He was completely overrun against newcastle and again yesterday

He attempted a defensive header yesterday and completely mistimed it , the ball bounced off his head and lloris had to make a top save from the resulting shot on goal. He also lost it inside our box at the end and nearly caused a goal.

He could be useful playing on the wing but if he is played CM then he will cost us points.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

^Steffen Frend? MY absolute cult hero. I won't hear a bad word said against him the "shooooot" whenever he got the ball towards the end of his days with us never failed to make me laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

I thought he was talking about Holtby

I thought he was talking about Holtby

yes i was

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Devo from Dublin

Im just being greedy.
    im disappointed with the draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

Im just being greedy.
    im disappointed with the draw.

Me too, inches from 3-1. Still, could have conceded at the last second

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Kimsang

Carroll has a great work ethic. And to be picked in MoPo's team must be phenomenally fit. I think honestly he has been out on loan at a passing team, and that the passes aren't coming to him fast enough. He shouts for it, but gets it a little bit too late, then is force to play it square or return it.

He tried to force a few killer passes and they blew up in his face yesterday. I'm not convinced either way by him yet. Obviously behind the scenes they must be seeing something, so for the moment I'll trust in that.

Hope we see better from him in the future. If he can relax and enjoy his game, which clearly he hasn't been doing yet in the Spurs first team, I think we could see a player in the mould of modric. (fingers crossed)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭golfball37

I was calling for Carroll to be on first team 18 months ago, no other player in the league like him imo, certainly not British anyway. He's the closest we have to Modric at the club.
    There will be some opposition not suited though and we'd be better off with more brawn but he's done ok and will only get better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

golfball37 wrote: »
    I was calling for Carroll to be on first team 18 months ago, no other player in the league like him imo, certainly not British anyway. He's the closest we have to Modric at the club.
    There will be some opposition not suited though and we'd be better off with more brawn but he's done ok and will only get better

This, he is exactly what Modric was when we first signed him. I'd like to see the manager give him some starts to see does he progress

This, he is exactly what Modric was when we first signed him. I'd like to see the manager give him some starts to see does he progress

fair enough but carroll has been playing in england for a few years now and if he was going to be able for the physicality of CM then he would be able for it at this stage

In modrics second season he was well able for the rough and tumble of the EPL, and the game rarely passed him by. Carroll had a very poor game at home against newcastle, in fact i would say if demebele had played that day then we would have won it. We needed someone to grab the game by the scruff of the neck and control it from midfield and carroll just isnt capable of that

give him a chance further forward instead of eriksen

However i have total faith in Poch to make the right call as he has done with every decision up to now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Carroll and Mason are very acceptable back up to Dembele and Dier

Advertisement