Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toilet Issues

• 26-12-2015 9:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭

We potty trained our 3.5 year old ASD child quite well within a week or two and things were going too well doing both no issues, about 1-2 weeks later she started to hold in her number 2s and is continuing to do so, her bottom is clinched and she is holding it in, she will only now go when she cant hold it in anymore despite her best efforts. She knows when some goes on her pants and doesnt like that sensation and gets very worked up We have tried the following 1. back in nappies no good. 2. Putting her number 2 in potty after and clapping, she likes praise. 3. Higher fibre diet but her foods are limited before. 4. Got laxatives from doctor but issue is she is holding it. She can hold it for 2-3 days.

Has anyone gone through this before and how did they deal with it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭mohawk

We have had this problem on and off with our 6 year old. We will go months and months with no problems and then he goes back to holding it in until his body has no choice but to force him to go. We were told by doctor that he is holding it in and he gave us a stool softener so that it wouldn't hurt to pass the stool. It doesn't hurt him to go it's more that he doesn't like the sensational try's to avoid it.

It's a really common problem with ASD kids. I know for some kids that changing their diet can solve it.

Sorry that I am of no help but your not alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

Hi Stephen, my almost 3 year old daughter isn't on the autistic spectrum but we are currently going through this stool withholding issue and your thread caught my eye from the main parenting forum. It's incredibly frustrating as she just refuses to poo on the toilet and is holding on for days on end and leaking into her pants. I ordered a book from Amazon which I have found good called 'Stool Withholding..what to do when your child won't poo' and I'd recommend it. It recommends treatment with laxatives and habit forming tactics. There's a section on autistic children too, apparently this problem is common for them as they are more prone to constipation and therefore fear and withholding behaviour.

Hope you get sorted, I know how frustrating this problem is!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Steven81

Thanks, ordered the book so hopefully all goes well.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

According to our creche teacher, its a common thing in lots of toddlers, not just ASD ones. They said that nearly all toddlers have an episode of problems with stools. Our lad did, and a few weeks after potty training was successful too, and we had to be vigilant about it for quite a few weeks until he was back to normal.

What worked to keep his system moving was orange juice and I even initially reverted back to bottles briefly to get sugar water into him. I mixed brown sugar with boiling water and coloured it with a dash of milk so he thought he was getting a bottle which used to be a huge comfort item for him. It gave him much needed fluids and the sugar helped his constipation. Then I followed up with a few calpol syringes of orange juice to keep things moving, as well as lots of fruit.

Like your little one, he was holding it despite being in pain, and that unlike their bladder, children can physically hold onto it as long as they want. My partner thought it had to come out eventually, but that's not the case - they can hold it in until it becomes an impacted bowel. He reverted back to doing it in his underwear, so for a few days, I'd just gently remind him he needed to go in the toilet next time. Once the Fear faded a bit, he got back on track.

It might take a bit longer with an ASD child though. It really is stressful and I got so frustrated because you know if they just let it go, they'd be grand. For me it was worse than the colic or tantrum stages. I hope it sorts itself out for you all soon, you have my sympathies.

Advertisement