Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

if shops were open Christmas day would you go shopping?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,193 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Manach wrote: »
    No, for the staff of any shop should have all least one day in this modern Ireland where all the family can potientally be together.
    Because they'd have to work 24/7 otherwise?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Dee24

endacl wrote: »
    Because they'd have to work 24/7 otherwise?

I work in retail as a manager, and for those of you who seem to think we get a choice- think again.

As a manager we are Told to be in for a full day Christmas eve and st Stephens day, same for new years. That means while my husband is off for that week, I get to spend 1 full day with him- Christmas day.

It's not a religious thing, it's a purely family thing where it would be nice if you were guaranteed 2 full days together in the year where you can spend time and actually have the time to visit with family and friends when they are also off.

For the rest of the year, I run around trying to get quality time with my husband and also visit family and friends when it suits them also.
    Which usually means your one day off at the weekend to visit people when you are also trying to have time with your husband.

So 2 days labour free in the year would be nice. I think it's very little to ask even if you are not Christian- it would be wonderful if everyone the world over knew the were free to have quiet time/family time for two blissful days.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

the scrooge in me says that if these chains decided they did want to open on Christmas Day that if you dont want to work on Christmas Day or certain days throughout the year you shouldnt have chosen retail as your career/job or get out leave it and do another job.

The world is changing so much so quick I can see it and its bound to happen eventually that say within the next 5 years chains of supermarkets and fast food restaurants and chemists will decide to open up on Christmas day, no doubt about it im sure. - an awful lot of other people in other jobs have to work on christmas day and Im pretty sure not all of them moan about it and just get on with it or dont moan they dont get a day home with the family out of the whole year

I should imagine with all this on-line ordering malarkey these days the bricks and mortar shops have really got to up their game and get any extra business anyway they can, if that means opening up on Christmas day and other religious days in the calender I reckon they will do it - presumably they are charged 365 days a year rent/rates on their premises including Christmas day so by not opening on that day they could be potentially losing a days takings by closing , however i also concede that most probably they may be make up that days takings and more on the run up to christmas but still...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

The reality is many careers require you to work Christmas day,nurses,doctors,Gardai all spring to mind. If it became a reality for shop workers than they'd just have to get over it.
    I don't think I would go shopping Christmas day as I usually like to have a nice quiet day. I think I'd still stock up before hand and avoid all that stuff for a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

No, I definitely wouldn't. I don't on Stephen's Day either. It's not even to do with religion, really, I just love that there's a day or two when almost everyone is off together, when you can do nothing at all guilt-free.

In France, a very secular country, most places still don't open Sundays because it's a day for spending time with family/friends and just to recharge a little. I'm not saying we should do that, but it's rarer and rarer that everyone gets time off together these days and one day a year really isn't too much to ask.

Very few retail staff would want to be in work on Christmas Day, and you can bet they wouldn't have a choice in the matter if places were open. It's not like doctors or Gardaí, where working can mean the difference between life or death. It's non-essential, everyone knows well in advance that shops will be closed, and it's just a little break to be human in the middle of our commercial society.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

I'm glad someone mentioned France. They have rest days not because of religious reasons but because of the idea that workers need time off.

That's what it boils down to for me. It's easy to see on this thread who has ever worked retail. There is no choice, as another poster mentioned. Christmas Day would become like any other bank holiday where if you refuse to work it not only does your manager get annoyed with you but the staff who do cover it (I worked every single Paddys day for 8 years). Somebody has to do it and the pressure is huge.

Some retail workers already have it tight at xmas. For example, where I worked we had to start work at 9 am xmas eve and then work the whole (busy!) day as normal. Shop closes at 6. From 6 to midnight or beyond you had to get ready for the Stephens day sale. And it's not sitting at a desk, it's hard physical work where you're constantly on your feet.

If people have an objection to having shops closed on Christmas Day because it's a religious holiday, then we should just change the name to Retail Workers Appreciation Day.

• It's not easy at all to see who worked retail, unless you can tell from a username.

I worked several years in retail finishing 7pm christmas eve and opening 8am Stephens day.

I worked call centre jobs that saw me in on the day itself three years running, as well as new years and every other holiday besides. That was the job.

Contrary to positions stated upthread I managed to get days off the rest of the year to spend with my Mrs. But the money was great and its just another 8hrs.

If the thread exists to bitch and moan about working in an area where you might need to work days and times you don't like, be so good as to say so up front and the rest of us can avoid as desired.

Otherwise yeah sure I'd shop on Christmas if I needed something and the shops were open. Why wouldn't I? It's a big old world full of made up holidays life goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

It's not easy at all to see who worked retail, unless you can tell from a username.

If the thread exists to bitch and moan about working in an area where you might need to work days and times you don't like, be so good as to say so up front and the rest of us can avoid as desired.

Is this aimed at me.... I didn't start the thread. :confused:

But if you look at the original OP, it is asking for the opinions of people who might have to work it.

Also, as far as I'm aware it's perfectly natural for a thread to take turns and elaborate on things further. Maybe what you are looking for is a poll where people just choose yes or no and there is no discussion.

Nobody is tricking you into reading a thread...... :confused: and they certainly aren't forcing you post.

• Is this aimed at me.... I didn't start the thread. :confused:

But if you look at the original OP, it is asking for the opinions of people who might have to work it.

Also, as far as I'm aware it's perfectly natural for a thread to take turns and elaborate on things further. Maybe what you are looking for is a poll where people just choose yes or no and there is no discussion.

Nobody is tricking you into reading a thread...... :confused: and they certainly aren't forcing you post.

First part aimed at you!

Rest no more than the same type of general process of elaboration and counter-elaboration that you describe in your own post. People answered the original question, other people with clear agendas are waiting to pounce and take issue, I take issue back, now it's your turn!

Passes the night anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,150 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Over in the US. A bunch of movies are released in the cinema on Christmas Day. Some grocery stores, fast food places, petrol stations and shops retail stores open. It is a bit weird. Over here, Christmas doesn't really register as a holiday to me. I guess Thanksgiving is their Christmas but then many, including me don't have both days for Thanksgiving...so, it also feels like a nothing holiday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Loads of shops are open on Christmas Day in Dublin (the big smoke). Only yesterday I seen a sign in the window of that Chinese buffet place opposite the Gresham saying they would be open Christmas Day. The Daybreak newsagents will be open also.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Loads of shops are open on Christmas Day in Dublin (the big smoke). Only yesterday I seen a sign in the window of that Chinese buffet place opposite the Gresham saying they would be open Christmas Day. The Daybreak newsagents will be open also.

I presume the Chinese couldn't give a flying fook about Christmas anyway!

I wish the pubs were open, if only from 4-7pm or something to break up the day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

kfallon wrote: »
    I presume the Chinese couldn't give a flying fook about Christmas anyway!

It's all about the end of February for them.

I remember walking all the way up to my local Chinese this year and they were shut so they could celebrate their New Year.

How dare they. I wanted my honey spare ribs and they were all in the city centre dressing up as dragons. No consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,034 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

How dare they. I wanted my honey spare ribs and they were all in the city centre dressing up as dragons. No consideration.

Did you miss the bit where the Chinese made everybody stay at home all day because it was their holiday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

Many shops are open, I have 2 near me that open up

And yes, I do use them, I never see the whole Christmas rush

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

If you worked in one of these shops or establishments and there was an offer to work on Christmas day (for Double or triple time) would you work on Christmas day?

A friend of mine worked in a Spar somewhere in town (Dublin) for triple pay on Xmas day a few years ago. Says he wasn't holed going back to Portlaoise to see the family so he might as well make a mint on the day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

No, I wouldn't go shopping. I barely do the rest of the year! Sure ye can go on Amazon if you need a fix.

Even in Galway you have pharmacys, convineance stores and other smaller places open on the day for a few hours at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭libelula

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Where did I say anyone should be forced?

But there's no point having a day off at xmas if everything is shut. We need to move away from the tradition of shutting business every feast day.

Are you thick?
    If a shop is open, staff have to man it. So yes, forced to work or they'll be out of a job.
    And your second paragraph is just ridiculous tbh. Everything has to be shut if we're all to have a day off.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I don't think I would go shopping - I usually only do that during the rest of the year when it's completely unavoidable.

But I used to work christmas eves and christmas days while working on the phones for IT support for a few years. I definitley didn't mind, good money and it got me out of the house for a bit.
    I grew with my mother working as a nurse and often working over christmas, and some of my other relatives in the medical profession as well, so working on public holidays was always something I considered normal anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,122 ✭✭✭screamer

People go on as if having to work Christmas day is unthinkable. Well many people do and they're not in hospitals or emergency services.
    I think pubs open in Xmas day would be a disaster. The hospitals wouldn't be able to cope with the drunkards being brought in and many a Christmas day would be ruined with mammy daddy or both stuck in the pub.
    As for shops well if i had no kids yes I'd go browsing. Christmas night is boring and i dont drink so sure id go but id much rather see a pharmacy open Christmas day its always on such days you need something but can't get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

screamer wrote: »
    I think pubs open in Xmas day would be a disaster. The hospitals wouldn't be able to cope with the drunkards being brought in
    I wonder does this happen in the UK much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

screamer wrote: »
    I think pubs open in Xmas day would be a disaster.

I hate the idea of being in one even on Christmas eve! My auld lad used to work in the bar trade. He wouldn't be home til 1 or 2 a.m. on Christmas when I was a kid, and straight back in on Stephen's morning to open up for the people (who would be queuing up at 12) gasping for a pint. I appreciate what he did now, but at the time was well jealous of other families.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

I prefer to spend the day with my family, it's only for one flippin day, what the hell would be so important that you need to buy it that day and it can't wait??

Fair enough a pharmacy should be open and medical services etc but shops? FFS that top will still be there the next day and if you don't have the foresight to make sure you've bought bread and milk (and if a parent, a shed load of batteries) the day before there's something wrong there.

Spending time at home with your family is not boring, I'd be sick if I thought my daughter was so bored in my company that she'd prefer to go out to work to get away from me. :mad:

So, in answer, no, I would not go shopping on Christmas day, I have 364 days I can go shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,302 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I love my owe company and I love my family, so its hard to fathom people who chat be without shopping or leaving the house for one day a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,796 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

The local shop at home opens Christmas morning. Mainly for batteries and the likes, but some people too will have last minute groceries that are picked up too. Like biscuits may have run out the day before or minerals etc.

But mainly it is just a few drinks & a chat after mass.

rubadub wrote: »
    I wonder does this happen in the UK much?

I wouldn't be able to say, but I can give an example of the polar opposite :

In Germany, all shops as well as most pubs and restaurants are closed on Christmas day and St Stephen's day. Shops, pubs and restaurants close early on Christmas Eve (which is the most important time in the German Christmas calendar).
    If Christmas day happens to fall on a Friday, this will mean no shops and very few anemities being open for 3.5 days solid.

Now, I have said before that I've got a good few family members working in medical professions. One of my aunts used to work in A&E for a few years - and she would dread Christmas. According to her, Christmas day usually was ok. St Stephen's day morning you'd get the first few cases, with more and more coming in during the day. By the evening, you usually couldn't move for them any more. And if the following day was a Sunday, the A&E where she worked would be almost full beyond capacity.

The average person can only stand so many hours of being forced by social convention to spend in close proximity to their immediate family. Add to that the pressure of having to be happy because it's Christmas and you've got disasters and tragedy waiting to happen.
    People who would normally just "pop out to the shops" suddenly have no escape route. My aunt used to say the worst were the ones that happened in the kitchen, they would have had knives to hand. At least the others just used their fists.

So while I wouldn't mind not shopping on Christmas day, I think there is a lot to be said to keep some shops, some pubs, some cinemas open during that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,054 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Shenshen wrote: »

The average person can only stand so many hours of being forced by social convention to spend in close proximity to their immediate family. Add to that the pressure of having to be happy because it's Christmas and you've got disasters and tragedy waiting to happen.

That's a fairly depressing view of Christmas. If people can't spend a day with their family without wanting to go shopping they have some serious issues.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    That's a fairly depressing view of Christmas. If people can't spend a day with their family without wanting to go shopping they have some serious issues.

Most people do. It's just that usually, they can hide them and live with them.
    It's only when you put them in stressful situations like this and block their usual means of escape that their issues may cause harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

endacl wrote: »
    I would, but only if I needed something. Same as the other 364 days every year.
    I don't ever 'shop', per se, though. I buy stuff as its needed/wanted.
    This. I manage to get along just fine without doing any unnecessary shopping the rest of the year, being open on Xmas day wouldn't really make any odds to me.

I have gone into 24 hour garages on Xmas day to get petrol and milk and bread, just like any other day.

The idea of someone going shopping to relieve their boredom makes me chuckle because for me, shopping is up there with watching paint dry.
    If people have an objection to having shops closed on Christmas Day because it's a religious holiday, then we should just change the name to Retail Workers Appreciation Day.
    It's worth noting that there's no legal reason why shops are closed on Xmas day. The only thing you can't sell is alcohol, which is probably the only thing 99% of people would go out to buy on Xmas day anyway.

Shops don't open because there's very little demand for it. In Dublin or Cork centres, you'll have some passing trade from people of other ethnicities or tourists, but outside of that the demand just isn't there to open up. So it's a bit of a moot argument really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭French_Girl

Don't we all shop enough throughout the whole year to actually want to have a shopping free Christmas Day?

I think it's perfectly attainable to do all your Christmas and food shopping well in advance and there is no reason to have to go to the store on 25th.

Advertisement