Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

if shops were open Christmas day would you go shopping?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

Shutting down for religious festivals has at last been recognized as bizarre. Which is not to say that there shouldn't be a day like Dec 25th when people can step back from routine. I wouldn't go shopping but then I sometimes go 2 or 3 days without going shopping even for bread etc.

It's ridiculous to claim that people who would haven't much goodness. Some of the people who would have promoted and enforced the day as a religious feast in the past showed depths of depravity in exposing kids to repeated abuse so observance of the day is no guarantee of goodness.

I think any day you spend well with those you love is a great day.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Several people have said/claimed they would boycott them, and lots of thanks for those posts.

Maybe people should start listing places that do open, to help these people can live up to their boycott claims.

Statoil are open on christmas day, or have in the past. That's the place I said my friends brother willingly worked, and was glad of it. There is one you can avoid like the plague from now on.

Any more places to add to peoples lists?

Or maybe petrol stations restaurants & hotels are somehow "different" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The garage (ESSO or whatever it's feckin called now, they change names like the wind.) near me
    is open EVERY day including Christmas Day. Handy if my maiden auntie has run out of fags, or the milk is spilt on top of the dog or something.

Otherwise a definite NO from me.

For now at least, let us keep Christmas a shop free day. It is a Bus free and Train free day already. Long may it last that some things stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Never mind Christmas Day, I'd love to go back to the time when most shops didn't open on Sunday's. Not for any religious reasons, just that I believe that there is no real need and it would be better if more people could spend time with their families.

There is no reason why we can't buy what we need on the other days of the week/year.

Of course I do realise that some people must work, such as nurses, emergency services, some essential services such as ESB etc., and perhaps chemists and petrol stations could open for just a few hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

I wouldnt go shopping myself but I'm not a twat so have no interest in preventing other people going shopping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

I would.
    I've been soooo bored on xmas day and it would be nice to have a look around while it's quite and to waste a few hours if your not entertaining or expecting/going to see anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

SMJSF wrote: »
    I would.
    I've been soooo bored on xmas day and it would be nice to have a look around while it's quite and to waste a few hours if your not entertaining or expecting/going to see anyone.

Would you prefer to be at work instead of being bored?

I would.

Those who have to work to solve your boredom might be a tad p"ssed off that they have to cater to your whims!

Knit a jumper or do a crossword or surf the net, the possibilities are endless to avoid boredom and they do not involve having someone else give up their day for YOU!!

Happy Christmas anyway my friend.

Who cares if they open

The people that work there.

They can't be at home with their families or such if their employer decides to open. It's selfish.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,355 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I wish shops stayed closed on Stephen's day too, staff going into work at like 6 or 7am to prepare for sales because customers have to go get a bargin on things that they don't even really need or want. Staff at Next have to go in at around 5 am, which is a load of ****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Chocolate girl

siblers wrote: »
    I wish shops stayed closed on Stephen's day too, staff going into work at like 6 or 7am to prepare for sales because customers have to go get a bargin on things that they don't even really need or want. Staff at Next have to go in at around 5 am, which is a load of ****.

Totally agree I used to work in retail we were told if no volunteers worked we had to do Stephens Day if it was our working day. So unfair as mostly worked Christmas Eve also. If people choose to work that's fine but not fair if you don't want to do it. Surely shops can close for a couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Yes. It would save me from panic buying gifts on Christmas Eve.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

I wouldn't bother shopping on Xmas day, just the same as I wouldn't bother shopping on any other day. Shopping is for the girls. I actually feel sick in busy shops so I don't bother with them. My wee girls love that sort of crap though. Give me a quiet bar with a newspaper and they can shop all day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

All the shops should be closed from the 23rd of December until the 2nd of January. Feck this consumerism nonsense, havn't we had enough fecking shopping foisted upon us since before Halloween?

I would.

If you are alone on Christmas Day and it is sad for you, I am sorry about that. But not the end of the world either, unless you are alone because you have lost someone, or are away and cannot see anyone.

It is only one day, and so many expectations are raised for that ONE DAY, that I think it can cause ructions. If you let it.

12 hours later all is restored.

But my sympathies to you if you are totally alone and sad. Hate to think of that.

Still, as I said, it is just one day. Best wishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

If it's the owner opening up and working away then yes. If it's people being paid a pittance while the owners enjoy things in their ivory towers then no

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

No, I wouldn't go shopping.

But I would and have used other services. I was in Australia during Christmas a few years ago and restaurants were open. So I went there for Christmas dinner with a few mates.

I heard Kylie on Graham Norton say Australia doesn't really do the Christmas celebration with Turkey's, although some may say she's sang a few:p

As she said it's all bikinis & shorts at the barbecue as its very mild weather, ironically i heard today that there's an island called Christmas Island in OZ:P

But a lot of shops near me are closed, as i see the festive opening hours, afaik in the next town the statoil station is family run with a cafe maybe open for a limited time.

I do like the idea of shops closed for the one day, as last year when working up an appetite for the dinner walking the dog around & no traffic on the road except for other people walking their dogs,

So it's nice to get that once in a while, especially the week leading up to it when everyone 's in a rush.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

No, for the staff of any shop should have all least one day in this modern Ireland where all the family can potientally be together.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,665 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

I tend to get a serious craving for savoury food on Christmas Day for some reason, so I have to have lots of crisps and Pringles on hand....if there was a chip shop open, I'd be there front row centre....

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I used work in tech support in the nineties, and worked every Christmas Day for a few years, even did NYE 1999

Was a pain in the ass not having shops open, I'm sure health, public order workers etc feel the same.

Not shopping shops but convenience stores.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

All the shops should be closed from the 23rd of December until the 2nd of January.

Once upon a time, I had a retail-service business in the UK. From the outset, I decided we were only going to work a total of 14 half-day equivalents out of the 14 days over Christmas and NY, so usually four full days, six half-days and four days off (incl the two bank holidays). My staff worked in pairs, so they each had three of those half-days off, not counted as holiday.

Didn't make a jot of difference to our takings, but made a huge difference to the working atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I would, but only if I needed something. Same as the other 364 days every year.
    I don't ever 'shop', per se, though. I buy stuff as its needed/wanted.

Not really the right person to answer the question, really. Can't remember ever 'shopping'. Ive bought stuff on Babyjebusturkeyday every year. Pint of milk, 20 fags, that sorta thing. Nothing outside my usual 'shopping' habits.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Nothing worse than sanctimonious twats lecturing people about what they should or shouldn't be doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,807 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

No way would I go shopping on Christmas Day. We have busy lives nowadays and family time needs to be cherished. I generally don't leave the house until at least the 27th.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

All the shops should be closed from the 23rd of December until the 2nd of January.
    I hate having my annual leave forced upon me, so would not wish it on others, especially when I cannot get things done on my days off due to other businesses being shut down.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

not even McDonalds or other fast food places open up on Christmas Day - I bet if they did you would find some people using them .... especially when that Turkey has turned out to be ruined and not totally cooked by 3pm lol or someone who has had their christmas day dinner but still crave for a big mac :-)

When you see some people food shopping on Christmas eve they act like shops are NEVER ever gonna open up ever again they go into a frenzy! - at least if a supermarket was open up on a Sunday (our Tesco is closed CD) then people might go on Christmas Eve "oh not to worry, if I run out of something Tesco or Dunnes will be open Tomorrow i will get it then"

I believe if you want to eat out on Christmas Day some restaurants open, but you have to book and it costs a bloody arm and a leg for the privilege! - at least if a chain of fast food places opened up and drive throughs and you wanted to nip out and get some food at a reasonable price you could.

and think you could go out get yourself some food quick and leave someone else to do the washing up . I bet with most children you'd give em a choice on Christmas Day and go "do you want Turkey, Brussels Sprouts, and stuffing ... or do you want to go to McDonalds - i bet i know what most will choose with parents thinking "great choice, no hours cooking in the kitchen and no washing up afterwards" - unfortunately no choice, as far as I know all McDonalds and other fast food restaurants are closed Christmas Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Only shops that should open on Christmas day are chemists.

So the ass clowns that forget to buy batteries can buy contraception and not produce anymore offspring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭SweetChaos

For years our local londis opened on christmas day for a couple of hours and yes I would have nipped in for milk, cigarettes etc

I would if I wanted something. If I didn't I probably wouldn't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

Would love to be able to shop on Christmas day if say the shops on Henry St were open!

Nobody to batter into you with a pram, no waiting at the till, being able to look at stuff without some twat with a take away coffee blocking your view. Sounds like bliss!

It could take off if some chain started it.

I remember in Scotland 20 odd years ago when the Tesco's/ASDA's started to open 24hrs. Go at 4 am expecting it to be dead.. Nope as busy as at any time during the day.

Advertisement