Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

if shops were open Christmas day would you go shopping?

• 20-12-2015 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

if shops restaurants and other establishments were open on Christmas Day (say they just done Sunday opening hours) - would you go to them?

If you worked in one of these shops or establishments and there was an offer to work on Christmas day (for Double or triple time) would you work on Christmas day?

fair enough Christmas is a time for families or people to have a break but what if your alone and you want to go out on Christmas day for a bit of company or do some shopping or just want to eat out (at not extortionate prices) theres not a lot open so your stuffed! <pun intended>

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

I'd probably nip down just for a milk.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

If I had a shop I'd open just to sell batteries at 300% the normal price.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 DexysGrl

No and I would boycott any shop that tried that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

Yep.

Plenty of covenience shops open for a few hours on Christmas day already.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

DexysGrl wrote: »

Just for the day?, or boycott them for good. If for good you should check around your area as a few establishments are open christmas day. My mates brother used to work and loved it, got out of the boring house for a few hours and earned a fortune.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

No, and I say that as someone who once worked twelve Christmas Days in a row and is in no way religious. It's the one day in the year that is primarily geared towards kids and families and I believe it should be preserved as such, and if the rest of us can't survive 24 hours without throwing our toys out of the pram there's not much good in us.

I don't mind a small shop, locally owned where the owner decides he'll open up for an hour or two. That's grand.

My issue is with the likes of clothes shops who insist on a sale at 6am on Stephens day. Those are the kinda shops that should be boycotted in my opinion (but instead they're flooded with people cos you might save a tenner on that top you don't really want!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ Royal Great Keynote

Not only would I not use it on Christmas Day, I wouldn't use it any other day either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

DexysGrl wrote: »

Burn down their shop. That'll show them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

No and Im not in any way religious either. Theres plenty of shopping to be had on Xmas eve and Stephen's Day if the notion takes you. If I needed to get away from the house for a bit, or was alone, a walk around a completely empty town center for a while would be nice. But Id rather just be at home having a blu ray film marathon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭AppleBottle

I wouldn't go out shopping on Christmas Day. I probably wouldn't like to work Christmas Day either but if I was asked and say work needed to cover people who had the likes of young children I would cover from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Not a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

if shops restaurants and other establishments were open on Christmas Day (say they just done Sunday opening hours) - would you go to them?

If you worked in one of these shops or establishments and there was an offer to work on Christmas day (for Double or triple time) would you work on Christmas day?

fair enough Christmas is a time for families or people to have a break but what if your alone and you want to go out on Christmas day for a bit of company or do some shopping or just want to eat out (at not extortionate prices) theres not a lot open so your stuffed! <pun intended>

Yep. Christmas day is boring. Shops should be open.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

No, I wouldn't go shopping.

But I would and have used other services. I was in Australia during Christmas a few years ago and restaurants were open. So I went there for Christmas dinner with a few mates.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Most shops are open where I live. I'm still in the mindset of everywhere being closed for the day though so I make sure I have everything so I don't have to go out.

At least I know I can get some emergency booze if needed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Probably not. Shops are often open in UK where there's Pakistanis and Chinese operating them.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I've often nipped up to my local garage on a Christmas Day for the odd bits

I also know of a pharmacy that's open on Christmas Day, very handy indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭libelula

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Yep. Christmas day is boring. Shops should be open.

So people should be forced to work on Christmas Day just to entertain you?

Sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Sierra 117

No, I wouldn't shop. I'd have no need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Does going to the pub count as shopping?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

Does going to the pub count as shopping?

Depends on the Garda and his humour. ..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Nip down to tesco. Not like going into town or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,048 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Yes same with Easter Sunday it's just another day to me tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Sunflower 27

Who cares if they open. Boycott them, how ridiculous. Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

libelula wrote: »

Sound.

Where did I say anyone should be forced?

But there's no point having a day off at xmas if everything is shut. We need to move away from the tradition of shutting business every feast day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

I went shopping today (Sunday opening - a novelty for France ... hardly anyone in the shop!) and hope that I won't have to set foot in one till next year, so it'd make no difference whether they were open on Christmas Day or not ...

I'm sure I'll spend some of it on th'Internet though. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Our local shop opens for an hour or two on Christmas morning, I assume so people can get fresh bread, rolls and whatever other bits and pieces for the dinner

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I wouldn't. Most homes are fairly well stocked at this time of the year, and most people realise that stuff won't be easy to get so planning is possible. Today isn't Christmas Day, and I still didn't get the urge to go to the shop. In fact, I haven't left the house or even spoken to another person.

I liked today.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

libelula wrote: »

Sound.

Not everyone celebrates Christmas. In London a lot of shops open and are staffed/owned almost exclusively by people of Muslim/Hindu/Sikh backgrounds. Should they be forced not to work because it's a holiday for us?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,072 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Our local shop opens for an hour or two on Christmas morning, I assume so people can get fresh bread, rolls and whatever other bits and pieces for the dinner

The bread would be just as fresh the day before. There aren't any deliveries on Christmas Day. I grew up in a small local shop, Christmas Day and NYD were the two days the shop closed... we used to get 5 or 6 callers throughout the day, not one of them would be a regular. After a few years we saw sense and stopped answering the door. Cigarettes were the main request.

Advertisement