Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The NRL 2016 and all things Australian Rugby League thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Edward Hopper

press conference on Parra and the salary cap at half eleven....The board should prepare their arses, todd greenburg is going in dry.playing with zero points for the season and a whopper of a fine according to whispers

Yeah you were pretty well dead on.

All 12 points stripped and will remain on zero until salary cap breach is resolved by offloading players etc. 1 million Aus Dollar fine. Chairman Steve Sharp, deputy chairman Tom Issa, director Peter Serrao, CEO John Boulous and football manager Daniel Anderson all have to appear before NRL to try and plead/explain why their registrations shouldn't be cancelled.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/may/03/parramatta-eels-handed-12-point-deduction-for-salary-cap-breaches

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭brandnewaward

stripped of the Auckland nines too , poor bastards , first thing they won in 20 years

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

Yeah you were pretty well dead on.

All 12 points stripped and will remain on zero until salary cap breach is resolved by offloading players etc. 1 million Aus Dollar fine. Chairman Steve Sharp, deputy chairman Tom Issa, director Peter Serrao, CEO John Boulous and football manager Daniel Anderson all have to appear before NRL to try and plead/explain why their registrations shouldn't be cancelled.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/may/03/parramatta-eels-handed-12-point-deduction-for-salary-cap-breaches

wow thats gonna stuff up parra for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I read they might have to release one of their star players like Norman to get under the salary cap before their next match.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

talks of norman and semi.....hope its true , we play them next week haha

• Advertisement

The Anzac Test is coming up this Friday between Australia and New Zealand. Australia are the favourites, although New Zealand won it last year.

Who do you all reckon wins it this year?

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

The Anzac Test is coming up this Friday between Australia and New Zealand. Australia are the favourites, although New Zealand won it last year.

Who do you all reckon wins it this year?

I think Meninga will start his international coaching off with a win, bookies have them heavy favourites too, though I have a hunch* NZ will keep it to about 10 points

Tuivasa-Sheck is a big loss for the Kiwis, and the disaster that is the Warriors off field (and most weeks on it) has deprived them of a few more. Would love to be proven wrong though.

*nailed on to be wrong and they get hammered by 20 plus!

New Zealand are 4$ to win , be worth throwing a 20 on them....Australia look pretty good but i'd go for the upset....just hoping Greg Inglis doesnt catch an injury.
    On a side note , Pearce has asked to be left out of Origin this year....NSW should have it in the Bag

Parra Decision reversed going to be a Sh*t storm now with possibly the bulldogs and storm sueing the NRL as they were deducted points for exactly the same reason in previous years

Parra Decision reversed going to be a Sh*t storm now with possibly the bulldogs and storm sueing the NRL as they were deducted points for exactly the same reason in previous years

Textbook making a rod for your own back.

• Advertisement

Textbook making a rod for your own back.

I have a lot of parra mates in sydney and even they are fed up with the nrl. Alot of diehard league fans are just completely fed up with the nrl and all the moneymen in the background. The feeling in sydney acording to my mates is that the game is dying because of the nrl

I have a lot of parra mates in sydney and even they are fed up with the nrl. Alot of diehard league fans are just completely fed up with the nrl and all the moneymen in the background. The feeling in sydney acording to my mates is that the game is dying because of the nrl

The game isn't dying at all in Australia but the nrl aren't doing it any favours.

The game isn't dying at all in Australia but the nrl aren't doing it any favours.

Just quoting people who go to games week in week out they are fed up with the nrl. I know alot of people who have stopped going to games because of the nrl. Crowds at games are a joke compared to years ago while afl and soccer are on the rise in nsw.

Just quoting people who go to games week in week out they are fed up with the nrl. I know alot of people who have stopped going to games because of the nrl. Crowds at games are a joke compared to years ago while afl and soccer are on the rise in nsw.

Oh I don't dispute the nrl are an issue, their obvious inconsistency, their apparent request that games are played in the new cavernous stadia rather than teams spiritual homes doesn't help with atmosphere, and being led by TV is also a problem. I'm also fairly sure the stats would back you up re attendance, I just don't think Rugby League as a sport is in trouble in Australia........ YET.

Oh I don't dispute the nrl are an issue, their obvious inconsistency, their apparent request that games are played in the new cavernous stadia rather than teams spiritual homes doesn't help with atmosphere, and being led by TV is also a problem. I'm also fairly sure the stats would back you up re attendance, I just don't think Rugby League as a sport is in trouble in Australia........ YET.

Dont get me wrong im not arguing with you. You make a really good point about home grounds when I was growing up I use to watch the dogs at belmore, packed crowd brilliant, now an empty stadium thats way to big. The best stadium in the nrl at the moment is probably brookvale because its a " home ground". You are also right that league wont die because the league towns areas in Qld. And nsw but the the popularity is on the decline unfortunately.

Dont get me wrong im not arguing with you. You make a really good point about home grounds when I was growing up I use to watch the dogs at belmore, packed crowd brilliant, now an empty stadium thats way to big. The best stadium in the nrl at the moment is probably brookvale because its a " home ground". You are also right that league wont die because the league towns areas in Qld. And nsw but the the popularity is on the decline unfortunately.

I think I ended up arguing against myself tbh! Half cut last night so apologies for that!

Only got round to watching the Australia v NZ game today. It was pretty disappointing really.

You would think NZ have a good chance at the World Cup with a fully fit squad considering they kept it to 12-0 for most of the game with many of their big players out.

Just catching up on the latest NRL action now. Great drama at the end of the Dragons vs Raiders game.

Holy **** The knights are pathetic. Fair play to their fans going every week to watch that.

• Advertisement

Holy **** The knights are pathetic. Fair play to their fans going every week to watch that.

They were great for the first five minutes!

Saw the Tigers game too over the weekend, not great from them either. Zero atmosphere for that game, pretty depressing.

They were great for the first five minutes!

Saw the Tigers game too over the weekend, not great from them either. Zero atmosphere for that game, pretty depressing.

Awful atmosphere the dogs need to go back to belmore and west back to either Campbeltown or Leichardt stadium is too big zero atmosphere

Chooks are back where they belong :D Pearce ,the saviour barely got a look in. Great try for Latrell Mitchell though. who's pumped for Origin? :D:D

Chooks are back where they belong :D Pearce ,the saviour barely got a look in. Great try for Latrell Mitchell though. who's pumped for Origin? :D:D

Looking forward to the games, usually pretty intense, last years series wasn't great standard wise I didn't think. Could do without all the sh*te in the build up though, it's more like the superbowl with the light shows and stuff.

I'd love a Maroons Jersey, shame they're so expensive!

Its alright but the blues is the one you should get. Cmon the cockroaches

Its alright but the blues is the one you should get. Cmon the cockroaches

In fairness and unfortunately you will probably get it cheaper too , on sale after the state of origin

Just now got round to watching Storm vs Cowboys and enjoyed the game. Awesome moment with Thurston's ankle tap on Vunivalu. :cool:

Looking forward to the State of Origin series. I only started following NRL this year and I've been hearing this is a huge thing so I hope it delivers. :)

I've no favourites tbh but I'm thinking I might back the Blues.

Looking forward to the games, usually pretty intense, last years series wasn't great standard wise I didn't think. Could do without all the sh*te in the build up though, it's more like the superbowl with the light shows and stuff.

if Pearce gets picked for the blues , we may as well hand it to queensland. Teams to be announced monday. Hoping beyond hope Adam Reynolds doesnt get picked, we cant afford to have him injured again....

picking a team to back is an easy choice , if you have one head , back the blues. If you have two heads, back the grubs........man i've missed the 6 weeks of solid queensland sledging :D

Some very tasty matches coming up over the next few days. I'm especially excited for the Cowboys vs the Broncos which could be a cracker. I also have a curiosity about Tigers vs Knights since both are coming off the back of a hiding. :)

My picks for Round 11:

Rabbitohs
    Cowboys
    Tigers
    Raiders
    Sharks
    Panthers
    Roosters
    Storm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Awful atmosphere the dogs need to go back to belmore and west back to either Campbeltown or Leichardt stadium is too big zero atmosphere

Same in ANZ tonight for Rabbitohs v Dragons 12k attendance. Any games I've been to there are lacking any sort of atmosphere.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement