Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you game

Options
  • 30-11-2015 7:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Just wondering how yall play, like when you get a new game do you rock in and finish it or flick between games, I know games like Fifa you can leave and all that but what about games like Witcher, Skyrim etc ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Depends. Some games I stick with for ages, some I flit betweet. I'll probably be flicking betwee 4 or 5 games at a time, unless something comes along and takes over.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,404 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Depends on the type of game. Story-based games I'll generally stick through to the end. More multiplayer type games, I'll probably flip between one or two of them at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I usually just stick with one game at a time to completion or until I give up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

I like to start a game as soon as I buy it, which leads to games being put on the back burner, its only the last day and I was thinking how much games have I finished and its like Skyrim, all Unchartered games and Brother. I think Im going to change my pattern to focus on finishing one game before moving to the next

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Depends on the game.

Some games I get addicted to and play for months until finished it bored like Skyrim or Civ5.

Others I dip in and out of like GTAV or COD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I generally stretch games out for months and months, unless its super good/engaging. Like I've been working on MGS V since launch day.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Dip in and out. Unless it's Minecrack. Can be building a tunnel for days on end.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

The older i get i have to say i start to worry i may have ADD,as time with games becomes more limited i tend to flit from one to another to try sample everything,which i can get frustrated with myself for. Im no completionist but i do like to try to give games a decent chance.

Out of every 10 games i try,probably one or two stick and get played for a decent period. The rest go into the ever expanding backlog....to rust like a broken down tractor in the middle of a field!

Then theres the old reliables,the games that i probably have at least 100hrs+ in and like to stick on from time to time,knowing that i will enjoy the time i spend playing them,Arma 3 probably being my favourite in that catagorey.

I like to think i play a decently broad spectrum of games,and sometimes i get grabbed by a certain game and easily spend a lot of time with it,others fall by the way side.

I do love multiplayer and most games i sink a lot of time into usually have that component in some fashion,doesnt have to be competitive either,i do like a bit of co-op these days.

Just some thoughts on "how i game":)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

I'm too old to remember all the buttons these days so I can only play one at a time or I'll get mixed up.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I'm currently 4000 hours into Dota 2. I haven't got to the end yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Destiny for the past 13 months. Hard to explain but just can't seem to escape.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

Black ops 3 ... Grind, Grind... Sleep ... Work ... Grind, Grind... Sleep

You get the picture, although gamer traditionalist's will probably sneer at this in their LARPING costumes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

When I was a kid I'd play immediately and clear it as soon as I could.

These days I flick between games according to whatever my mind whims which is all kind of games. I think more than ever I appreciate fighting games because although they take time to master... in and of themselves they're not time-sinks. You don't have to spend an hour in one long fight and they're very easy to drop in and out of and yet still have very high skill ceiling and competitiveness. Kinda game that even if you're playing with a friends there's no sense of pressure to hurry if you want to AFK for a few mins to get a cuppa or whatever else because they'll just fight among themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

I always have a main game on the go, with 1 or 2 simpler side games for variety, often handheld games that I can play in bed or while commuting.

I'll stick with the main game until I complete it or give up, I don't like leaving things unfinished or having too much on the go at once

• Registered Users Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭Corvo

Definitely depends on the game, as I often don't get as engrossed in them as I once did. I used to sit and play one game until it was finished (the storyline that is, not trophy hunting which I have never been interested in) I'll give you an example...

In recent times, even the most lauded titles have found the exit from my games library as I became detached from the storylines. I didn't like Skyrim (shock horror, I know) as I hated the internal spaces and seemingly endless similar caves that I had to explore. I felt detached from the story and yearned to fight outside in the beautiful mountainsides and village areas. Metal Gear Solid V is what I'm currently playing, and that is a repetitive mish mash with little or no consequence for blowing the brains out of whole platoons, apart from not being able to expand Mother Base, whom I can then sorties out from to blow the brains out of more generic army men.

Then I found The Witcher 3 and everything fell back in place. 135 or 150 hours later, and I'm still day dreaming about my choices throughout the game, the beauty of fighting an Arch Griffin in the back drop of a sunflower field, to a brilliant soundtrack. The preparation for fights, the discovery of each monsters weakness, the futility of your choices within a certain quest which would end in tragedy regardless. Now thats a game I could sit and play daily, for hours on end.

I hope for more games like that. Few and far between though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

These days I listlessly trawl through Steam and PC Gamer hoping to find something that looks worth my time let alone my money, and then I play it voraciously until it is all used up, and frequently feel vaguely disappointed at how hard it is to find anything genuinely entertaining these days. In the end I fantasise about HL3/Oculus/No Man's Sky for a while and then go back to searching.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭brady12

Usually one single player game (fallout at mo)and a couple of multiplayer (fifa pro clubs and blops 3)

• I game with an 8 pack of beer

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I used to get one game and play it to death, of course this is back when I had to travel for an hour and hope the shop selling the game had what I wanted in stock. Now it's all steam so I have no restrictions.

I'm finding it hard to stick with any game these days. Ever since I got some good sim gear for driving games I've become completely consumed by that and even if I don't feel like driving I can't bring myself to play something else. I've over 500 hours in Assetto Corsa and I'm still a novice at it. There's no end in sight and every time I play it, it's rewarding, I learn something.

I got Wolfenstein in the sale, and while it's great I still can't bring myself to fire it up.

Advertisement