Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game of the Year 2015

Options
  • 26-11-2015 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭

Hey Guys,
    Possibly already a thread for this, but if there is I cant see it.
    Whats everyone's game of the Year?
    Or top 3 even. I was going to create a poll, but i think it would be to hard to cover all the possible contenders

My top 3 would be

1. The Witcher
    2. Bloodborne
    3. Dying Light

*Just added a Poll - If people think i'm missing one on the list just shout!

Game Of the Year 2015 44 votes

Witcher
    0% 0 votes
    Metal Gear Solid 5
    40% 18 votes
    Halo 5
    2% 1 vote
    Fallout 4
    2% 1 vote
    Rise of the Tomb Raider
    15% 7 votes
    Batman: Arkam Knight
    2% 1 vote
    Start Wars Battlefront
    0% 0 votes
    Bloodborne
    0% 0 votes
    Mad Max
    11% 5 votes
    Super Mario Maker
    0% 0 votes
    Rocket League
    6% 3 votes
    Until Dawn
    13% 6 votes
    NBA 2K16
    0% 0 votes
    Tales from the Borderlands
    0% 0 votes
    Everybody,s Gone to the Rapture
    4% 2 votes
    Splatoon
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,404 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'm actually going to go with Tales From The Borderlands. I sunk a hell of a lot of time into MGSV and enjoyed the hell out of most of it, but it ultimately has too many flaws which simply can't be ignored.

TftB was an absolute joy to play. Characters, story, humour... even the gameplay was a lot more action-orientated than the usual Telltale games. It was true to its Borderlands roots, true to its Telltale roots, and despite the wait between episodes, gave me more pure happiness than any other game this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭orubiru

Super Mario Maker! *Applause*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Of the games there I have played (MGS5, Splatoon, Arkham Knight) I have to go with Splatoon. Such a fun game, so charming and colourful when that seems to be anathema to the modern AAA release.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Benrobjohn

The witcher has my vote. Brilliant story. Shout out to Mario Maker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Deep Six

GOTY for me is Fallout 4, there's simply nothing else that compares to it. My top 3 would be probably be rounded out by MGS V and Until Dawn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭Corvo

Nothing has touched The Witcher 3 for me this year. It has everything, and continues to provide excellent value.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Destiny?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Destiny?

Technically it was an expansion pack.... so no.... not Destiny

• Registered Users Posts: 33,404 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Pfft... Destiny is so 2014

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The Witcher. It was so good it ruined other open world RPGs for me. I’ve stopped playing Fallout 4 to go play the Witcher in New Game +.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Despite its combat flaws, TW3 is the only thing from that list I can really pick. I enjoyed it a lot. Looking forward to replaying it in the future when I can push the graphics more.

No Undertale, Cities Skylines, The Beginner's Guide, Ark: Survival Evolved. I only own one of em' but aren't they big hits for 2015?

And yeah Destiny was released in 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Look at that list. What a year for gaming.

What did we vote for last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,304 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Who hasn't voted for Rocket League!?

You're tacky and I hate you.....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,247 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just the one is impossible :pac:

I'm only a few hours in, but Undertale is proving one of the most charming, surprising and generally lovable games I've played in a longtime. Whip-smart writing and hugely imaginative and cleverly implemented variations on familiar mechanics. Its retro RPG aesthetic (albeit blessed with wonderful art and character design - the 'Greater Dog' encounter deserves the widest grin possible) masks one of this year's most progressive and adorably subversive games.

Bloodborne, because it advances From Software's trademark art, mechanics and storytelling in all manner of spine-tingling directions.

The very title of Crypt of the Necrodancer won me over, because its amazing. Thankfully it's a pleasure to play as well, the combination of rhythm action and roguelike dungeon crawling an inspired one. Thrilling in the moment gameplay, but challenging enough to justify sinking many hours into.

Sunless Sea took a very different approach to the roguelike, making the story an integral part of the randomness and player decisions. It's brutally difficult with an admirably oppressive atmosphere and I have yet to spend quite as much time with it as I'd like, but it's one of the bravest ways of telling interactive stories I've ever come across.

It has been a very strong year for narrative-led games. Find it really hard to pick just one because they all do their own thing. The Beginner's Guide is a very complex piece of storytelling - part very intimate and personal story, part game design critique, but benefits from the ambiguity and artfulness of approach. Discussion of Sunset got drowned out by the discussions that surrounded ToT's collapse, but it's a fascinating, challenging piece of pure environmental and atmospheric storytelling. Everybody's Gone to the Rapture was drop dead gorgeous to explore, but also a welcome step up in terms of The Chinese Room's unique storytelling ambitions. Life is Strange is a total ****ing mess in so many ways, but it also does the sort of things it's absolutely flabbergasting more games shy away from - when it's good, it's a joy to play and watch. Three Fourths Home and Wheels of Aurelia both focus on roadtrips, but both (WoA especially) mark really interesting ways of communicating a narrative without the gameplay getting in the way.

Finally special mention to Metal Gear Solid V, which is the best entry in an iconic series - well, aside from the hundreds of moments where you personally want to call to Hideo Kojima's house and shake him for a bit while yelling "cop the **** on, man!" quite loudly.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I've pumped over 100 hours into Cities Skylines and I can't stop. So I'd say that. But its not there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Can't believe you forgot Dying Light, My GOTY for sure, mainly because It genuinely surprised me at how good it is.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Dying Light was released last year though.

Rocket League for me, MGS would be close after it.

I've not played The Witcher though, but it looks like the sort of game that I'd enjoy, so I'll likely be picking it up to play over the Christmas holidays.

Shiminay wrote: »

I've not played The Witcher though, but it looks like the sort of game that I'd enjoy, so I'll likely be picking it up to play over the Christmas holidays.

Was released in January in the US I think and was delayed 6 weeks or so here if I recall, I know it was march by the time I got my copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,938 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

What about Ori and the Blind Forest ? Prob won't get many votes but was very well by the Xbox Community.

• Advertisement

Shiminay wrote: »

dying light was released january 27th in digital format, and the discs were later again.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Mea Culpa! I think I might have to give it the nod so. To the Poll Editing Batman!

So many let downs this year for me , not that many of the games on the list were by any means bad games, i think it's partly down to gaming fatigue on my part and little of what was on offer was really new to me. Not sure who's problem that is really , the game or mine :confused::(

Easy to pick a GOTY for me , Witcher 3 hands down. 1st time in a while I've come away from a game wholly satisfied and asking for more :)

emmetkenny wrote: »
    What about Ori and the Blind Forest ? Prob won't get many votes but was very well by the Xbox Community.

Got a steam release too did it not :confused:

Edit: Actually hopefully that goes on sale tomorrow, not sure why I never picked it up.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Nothing has come close to the Witcher 3 for me. Fallout 4 is great, but just doesn't compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,938 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Not sure to be honest. I don't have a PC for gaming so just stick to the Xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I've played all of the games on that list except NBA.

GOTY for me is Witcher 3 hands down.

Second place to Dying Light (don't know why it's not on the list??) and third place to Fallout 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

Bloodborne, by a long way.

Edit: Actually hopefully that goes on sale tomorrow, not sure why I never picked it up.

you should, its great.

• Advertisement

I'm actually looking at picking up Ori for the Missus, looks like she'd LOVE it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement