Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

AirBnB Insurance for tenant

• 24-11-2015 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hello,

I have had 2 people living in my house (I live elsewhere) and have had no issues. Now I've realised that one of the tenants has left and the other has been renting the other room on airbnb.

Apart from the issues regarding the lease being broken, I've been looking in to how my insurance policy is affected. It turns out that my policy would not be valid in the event of a worst case scenario. So, he has someone in the house until Dec 20th and my home insurance isn't valid for the duration. Clearly that's not ok.

Even more worrying is that there doesn't seem to be a single insurance company in the country who's prepared to insure for airbnb guests. Which brings me to my point. What are the 4,500 people in the country who are using airbnb doing for insurance? Or is it just something that nobody's going to worry about until someone falls down the stairs?

Would really appreciate any feedback from people who've had a similar experience. Or am I the first to care about this?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Juanner

Thank for responding.

However, I don't really think it does cover it.

I wrote to airbnb and this is what I was told.

Airbnb's Host Guarantee is not insurance and doesn’t replace your homeowner’s or renter’s insurance. In this situation, we recommend our hosts to discuss this with your insurance provider to review your renters or homeowners policy to make sure you have adequate coverage but also ensure you have adequate liability coverage as well as property protection.

Unfortunately, we are not able to advise you on any insurance company that covers houses in Dublin. Hosting offers rich experiences, but it comes with a certain level of commitment and one them is taking the responsibility of insure their house

I'm taking it from this that it's up to the host to have their own insurance. But try getting insurance for airbnb in Ireland..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭vagazzled

Make sure you are covered for fire, as faulty pc plugs/ chargers are hazards. Obviously smokers also.
    After going thru the shock and loss of a house fire, and then dealing with insurers, builders etc afterwards I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. A "small" fire in 1 bedroom of a house can cause 40-60k worth of damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Juanner wrote: »
    It turns out that my policy would not be valid in the event of a worst case scenario. So, he has someone in the house until Dec 20th and my home insurance isn't valid for the duration. Clearly that's not ok.
    IMO, start eviction proceedings against the tenant. If sh|t goes bad, you're the loser, and insurance won't have your back. The tenant gets all of the benefits, but none of the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Juanner

Thanks for the responses, guys. Seems that no matter who I ring, there's no cover available for this kind of thing. Kinda mind-blowing but that's the way it all seems to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,666 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Have you tried any insurance brokers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Juanner wrote: »
    Thanks for the responses, guys. Seems that no matter who I ring, there's no cover available for this kind of thing. Kinda mind-blowing but that's the way it all seems to be.

Why are you looking for insurance? You should be looking to terminate the tenant's lease legally asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭lima

RasTa wrote: »

This is different to Airbnb's Host Guarantee though isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Your tenant is subletting a room in your house. If you don't already forbid that in your lease, you should. You don't even have to have to explicitly mention airbnb. If your tenant is allowing anyone else to stay in your property for their financial gain, they are in breech of any standard lease.
    If they want to rent room in a house let them wait till they own their own house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

vagazzled wrote: »
    Make sure you are covered for fire, as faulty pc plugs/ chargers are hazards. Obviously smokers also.
    After going thru the shock and loss of a house fire, and then dealing with insurers, builders etc afterwards I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. A "small" fire in 1 bedroom of a house can cause 40-60k worth of damage.

Crikey! How did that fire happen, I do see the odd fire reported every few weeks but i allways assume it involved open flame fires or stoves or something! I would have thought electrical fires where a thing of the past since all the EU Regs regarding plugs , leccy items and even wiring and electrical specs over the last decade :confused: i rememeber an add during the 80s about falling asleep with cigarettes but never saw an add in relation to checkin electrical things

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭vagazzled

A family member (no blame apportioned by me or forensic officer - who was 2 hours talking to us separately and together, and 4 hours combing through the house) was up late and left a few things plugged in on the plugboard, which may have sparked and set off a scrap of paper or bedlinen as the plugboard was beside the bed.
    He got off lightly with 2nd and a few small 3rd degree burns, no grafts necessary in the end. I got extreme shock and a lot of stress. I count myself lucky though, I was buying the blinds for the house after the ins. came through and mentioned to the woman that ins. cheque would be paying due to circumstance, she asked were we all ok, as a relative of hers lost 3 limbs in a house-fire.
    Now I check everything is off before bed. A relative had a fire caused by a faulty dishwasher in 2013. I've heard of water cuts causing fires in washing machines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod note Can we get back on topic please. This is not a fire safety thread, thanks.

Advertisement