Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox 360 or WiiU

Options
  • 10-11-2015 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    My two women (8 and 7) are looking for one of the above for Christmas and I am wondering which one would ye go for.
    Their cousins have a WiiU an they play it there sometimes.
    I know the 360 is last gen but I think there may be more games for them on it or maybe not.
    Let me know what ye think please.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

The WiiU has far more games the can enjoy together.
    Playing together (either with each other or against each other) in games is very well supported on the WiiU
    In fact I find the games on the WiiU a lot more "pick up and play" fun.

Look at:
    Mario Kart 8
    New Super Mario Bros Wii U
    Super Mario 3D World
    Super Smash Bros
    Splatoon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Redriddick

Thanks for that Cormac.
    Will check it out!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Sorry for stereotyping but for their ages and gender I would say WiiU all day long. It has so many accessible and enjoyable games which are also family friendly.

I have one and play these types of games regularly so it's not something they will grow out of either.

I hear what your saying alright.The 8 year old is mad keen on gaming.
    Just need to see where the best deals are now!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

First of all you need to find out what systems all their friends playing. I know you said they play wii u with cousins, but just make sure it's not just them.
    These days you have to adopt to your kids friends preferences. No point getting wii u, if all of their friends on 360.

Even better, try asking your kids what would they prefer, nothing worse then buying opposite to what they want.

All in all I would say that wii u would be better deal for that age and gender ( no offence). I am a big, bearded, bold man and I still miss my wii u. :)

• Advertisement

Funny enough I have a ps3 that I hardly ever use and was going to get that modded and have that too.

If you meant "Modded", don't, that's coming from a PS3 user of 9 years, just..... don't

You'll have a $hit time. PS3 games are cheap as chips and if you have PS plus you get a slew of free games

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

One thing to note , the price of x360 games is lower ( especially 2nd hand .. lots of decent ganes for 5-10 euro...anything on wii u thats nade by nintendo is generally atill nearly full price 2nd hand) and going to get much lower over the next year or so as its phased out. if you think a cheaper larger library of games would suit them better then 360..otherwise go wii-u

Lads thanks so much for all the advice.Just on the ps3 are the games in ps plus downloaded to the console???

8 and 9 year olds only need a handful of good quality, accessible, fun games though.

Make them replay and 100% everything like we had to :P

It's an enjoyment thing, they are at an age where they will enjoy playing Mario Kart together, i'd capitalise on that.

Actually laugh out loud Fun > Perceived Monetary Value (in getting cheap mostly VERY average games for under 12s on the 360)
    Redriddick wrote: »
    Lads thanks so much for all the advice.Just on the ps3 are the games in ps plus downloaded to the console???

No, not unless you added them to your basket and checked out (in which case you can download them now), PS Plus is a monthyl/yearly subscription btw

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I still contest that, outside Rock Band, Nintendoland on WiiU remains one of the best group party games I've ever played. Mario Chase is a masterpiece of local multiplayer fun. Add it to the Nintendo mainstays like Mario Kart and Smash Bros and you're away for hours.

If you have a PS3, though, I can't stress enough how delightful Sportsfriends' Johann Sebastian Joust is with friends and family. Pick up a few cheap PS Move controllers, clear a bit of space, and enjoy the insanity :)

Also, Wii Sports Resort (yes it works on WiiU) is the best fun anyone of any age can have i think.

Frisbee Golf, Archery, Bowling, Sword Fighting..... man so many fun drunken nights :pac:

Did I ever tell you about my perfect game on Wii Bowling? No? Pour yourself a cold one, you're in for a treat...

I always felt like bowling was too one-sided, if you had that one player who'd flair his arm randomly the same way 10 times he'd win....

Now Frolf, Golf and Archery.... those were games of skill for true monocle wearing gentlemen

Cormac... wrote: »
    I always felt like bowling was too one-sided, if you had that one player who'd flair his arm randomly the same way 10 times he'd win....

No no no no! I reject this blasphemy. I don't think you have properly considered the words 'Perfect Game'. I was the Roy Munson of the white controllers.

In fairness sports resort is fun,they have a wii already.
    Jasus I think they might have too much😆😆

In fairness sports resort is fun,they have a wii already.

The Wii U is backwards compatible too so they can play their Wii games on it.
    Plus you'll save on controllers if they already have 2 Wii pads as these word with Wii U

Just get the Wii U, if you regret it, i'll eat my hat.

Right wiiu it is.Looking at the bundle in smyths wiiu 32gb Mario kart 8 and splatoon.
    I assume that the original wii controllers can be used as I would hate for one of them to wake up Christmas morning and not be able to play!!!!

Right wiiu it is.Looking at the bundle in smyths wiiu 32gb Mario kart 8 and splatoon.
    I assume that the original wii controllers can be used as I would hate for one of them to wake up Christmas morning and not be able to play!!!!

Yes, they can, in fact the original Wii pads are the pads used for any Multiplayer game on the Wii U (one player uses the game pad if they like, and most single player games use the the new Wii U pad). If they still have the Wheels for Mario Kart for the Wii, those are great fun to use on Mario Kart 8

Regarding platforms, New Super Mario Bros Wii U is the superior platform and has co-op multiplayer. Super Mario 3D world is stupidly easy and single player

That's great even have a controller for myself too.
    Will have to look into getting a charging station for the old controllers as I am nealy broke buying batteries!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,006 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

That's great even have a controller for myself too.
    Will have to look into getting a charging station for the old controllers as I am nealy broke buying batteries!!

Just buy rechargeable batteries. Saves me a fortune. You can get packs of them with a charger for a decent price these days.

Cheers rechargeable batteries it is

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Super Mario 3D world is stupidly easy and single player

Super Mario 3D World is also multiplayer, and is in fact more fun in multiplayer too, as it's competitive.

Star Lord wrote: »
    Super Mario 3D World is also multiplayer, and is in fact more fun in multiplayer too, as it's competitive.

This is actually news to me, we put it down after like 4 hours cause it (in single player) was stupidly easy

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

This is actually news to me, we put it down after like 4 hours cause it (in single player) was stupidly easy

Did you get very far into it collecting all green/gold stars? That game gets very difficult in the later worlds. :)

OP: Don't forget to hook up the Wii-U a night or two before Christmas to download any updates as they can take a while - don't leave that til Christmas morning!

And charge all the batteries.... and buy spare batteries! And maybe just play a few rounds of Splatoon just to ensure the console works :P

Great idea about the updates and as for trying it out.I may have to delete my saved games or they will think santa had a great time.
    Just one more thing our broadband is ****e but I can access fttc in the inlaws if need be so will that suffice

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Great idea about the updates and as for trying it out.I may have to delete my saved games or they will think santa had a great time.
    Just one more thing our broadband is ****e but I can access fttc in the inlaws if need be so will that suffice

Exactly, just bring it to their house or anyone with a half decent connection and it will update fine. It might also ask you to set up a Nintendo Network ID (NNID) during the setup process (an online account basically). Some games will also download updates the first time you try them so you may as well pop in the discs while you're at it.
    When you get it back to your own house you'll probably just have to put in your own wifi details (if not using a wired connection) and you should be sorted.

I think I have a Nintendo I'd. They have a 3ds and 2ds .

• Advertisement

Thanks again lads for the replies.Got the bundle in Smyths last Thursday Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon.
    I will get rechargeable batteries this week and update it and PLAY (sorry) try out the games!!!!

Advertisement