Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice restaurant (Indian?) in Cork

Options
  • 28-10-2015 7:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭

Will be staying in Cork for a weekend in November and am just wondering if anyone could recommend any good restaurants in the city? Indian in particular, but just general recommendations would be great too. Mid price I suppose. I know there's a restaurant thread on the the forum, but there's a lot there to read through! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

My favourite is slightly out of the city in Douglas - Haveli. Decent sized portions, consistent food, and excellent service. I've never left unhappy.

Not too far in a taxi, or by bus if you didn't want to drive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 190 ✭✭baldtooyoung

Amen to haveli in douglas.best indian by a mile!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

In the city itself there is no decent Indian I've came across. There is one or two outside.

I would skip the Indian and go to what's probably the best Chinese restaurant in Ireland. Yuan Ming Yuan Cork Exceptional food,staff everything about this place is world class.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

for a more city center option ive found the bombay palace on cook street to be quality been going years always happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 willya

Eastern Tandoori opposite the Opera House is excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,812 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

To be honest, I wouldn't go near any Indian restaurant in Cork city unless you're OK with generic, average Indian restaurants.
    If you like the kind of Indian that you'll get in any town in Ireland or England then, Bombay Palace or Indian Palace are fine.

However, there is Iyer's café. It's a south Indian vegetarian café. Open Friday evenings but only day time on Saturday. It's fantastic but not Indian curry, as you might know it. Best samosas you've probably ever eaten, though. Dosas must be tried too.

I'd second Yuan Ming Yuan.

Star Anise is very good for a more restauranty meal - you'd need to book.
    I really enjoyed Elbow Lane too - kinda buzzy funky place with a smoker, great steaks and grilled fish.

I really want to try Haveli - heard so much about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Haveli is really good - although, having said that, I was there on Sunday and I was a bit disappointed....but I'm sure that was just a once off!! Normally it is amazing!

It's really the only indian in the city/suburbs that is really good. Lal quila is ok but not as good as Haveli.

Eastern Tandoori is all style over substance in my opinion - food isn't great there.

Bombay Palace is not too bad I guess but again, not on the level of Haveli.

There is also another indian - which is not in the city, it's on the outskirts - called the Raj Gaylord in Kerrypike and that's also very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Bombay Palace is good.

Indian Palace is ok.

Eatern Tandoori is awful.

Iyers is poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 mobitron

Spice of India in Bishopstown gets my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Rebel1987

Another vote for Bombay Palace, I've had it a few times and I thought it was very good.

Spice Inn on North Main St. is meant to be very good but I've never tried it so I can't really say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭bogman

DJ Hafez wrote: »
    My favourite is slightly out of the city in Douglas - Haveli

Thanks for the tip Hafez must drop in sometime, just had a look in Google view, nothing in that area bar pubs, restaurants and booking offices, all you are short is a phone shop and ill bet there's one closeby...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

mobitron wrote: »
    Spice of India in Bishopstown gets my vote.

This is nice too - same owners as lal quila.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

In the city both Bombay Palace and Eastern Tandoori are excellent (I'd rate Bombay Palace slightly higher).
    Outside the city I'd say Haveli in Douglas :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Raj Gaylord.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

kcb wrote: »
    Raj Gaylord.

I think Raj is ok.

It's a bit out of the way though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Spice Inn another + 1 from me its my go to indian fantastic all round.

There Madras is extremely hot and very tasty and they don't skimp on there chicken like must indians do. There nam is also very tasty.

Cork i don't really rate that much for indian food while i used to live in waterford and all all them are fantastic down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Iyers is the best, but a word of warning, it's vegetarian (mostly vegan) and ayuvedic. So it's not at all your usual thick, rich sauces. Quite different and not to everyone's liking.

To be honest, there really aren't any other Indian restaurants I'd recommend in Cork. The rest are the usual generic types.

I would recommend Yuan Ming Yuan for their traditional dishes, Elbow Lane, and Market Lane. It's a pity that Hugenot has closed otherwise I'd add that too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Thanks everyone. Sounds as though Haveli might be the spot to go to so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,812 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Thanks everyone. Sounds as though Haveli might be the spot to go to so :)

You really should try Iyer's for lunch on the saturday for something a little bit different.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭sangsung

I would give The Sultan a go. Not Indian, but close enough. Spicy Lebanese stuff.

• Advertisement
Advertisement