Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do people get defensive

Options
  • 28-10-2015 2:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi guys.

Just wondering if there's s tread about behaviour on chats like this "boards". For example if someone replies to your post why can't we simply say thank you . Is it so hard to simply agree or disagree without making something personal.
    If offering advise to someone on a post why get defensive? Why question a persons motives? Why assume or even close a tread in some cases.
    I wonder if this is because the comments made hit a nerve?

Any opinions out there? I won't judge :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

4Marie wrote: »
    Hi guys.

Just wondering if there's s tread about behaviour on chats like this "boards". For example if someone replies to your post why can't we simply say thank you . Is it so hard to simply agree or disagree without making something personal.
    If offering advise to someone on a post why get defensive? Why question a persons motives? Why assume or even close a tread in some cases.

Some people just take ANY comments as a negative. I also think there is a lot of people on boards who are blinkered and there is only one way of thinking. Also on a forum where you can analysis and interpret words a certain way, things can also be misinterpreted. Personally when I make a comment I always think of the polar opposite view to the one I have and the accompanying arguments to it. Then I am rarely surprised because of that. I find that people only try and personal if they have no valid argument to make. But the reality is how can they get personal if they don't know you! It amuses me.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 wingedjoker

If they take offense, you should advise them to go to correctional facilities AKA humor board.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

4marie I agree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭constance tench

4Marie wrote: »
    Hi guys.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=oh+contrare

• Registered Users Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭endacl

So, is there gonna be a punchline, or wha'? Or is this one of those high-concept surrealist humour threads?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭deni20000

What do you mean 'get defensive??? I'Ve never gotten defensive so don't accuse me - ok.

endacl wrote: »
    So, is there gonna be a punchline, or wha'? Or is this one of those high-concept surrealist humour threads?

Not likely.

deni20000 wrote: »
    What do you mean 'get defensive??? I'Ve never gotten defensive so don't accuse me - ok.

**** ** mods!?

Advertisement