Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new player

Options
  • 22-10-2015 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi everybody,

Kids have a xbox360 , never had much interest , except for racing games , F1 and Forza ...
    Curious now about "shooter" games , just wondering what would be a good game to start with, maybe one of the free downloadable ones to start of with or one of the older cheaper ones just to see if I like it ...
    Any classics out there that everybody has played ?

Regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

jaapbond wrote: »
    Hi everybody,

Kids have a xbox360 , never had much interest , except for racing games , F1 and Forza ...
    Curious now about "shooter" games , just wondering what would be a good game to start with, maybe one of the free downloadable ones to start of with or one of the older cheaper ones just to see if I like it ...
    Any classics out there that everybody has played ?

Regards

The first modern warfare for a single player game.

World at war if you want the older setting.

Far cry 2 very good and very cheap.

Far cry 3 very good and cheap as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Two excellent shooters on the 360 are Halo 3 and Call of Duty 4.

Call of Duty 4 is the closest console attempt at the perfect online multiplayer shooter in my opinion. It was near perfect.

Both have great single player story modes, and should still have a small online community unless the servers have been shut down.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Halo 3 and Halo Reach

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Ant695 wrote: »
    The first modern warfare for a single player game.

World at war if you want the older setting.

Far cry 2 very good and very cheap.

Far cry 3 very good and cheap as well.

Far Cry 2 is awful :o

Is it just campaign shooters you are after or multiplayer?
    The Gears of War series is worth a try.

Is it just campaign shooters you are after or multiplayer?
    The Gears of War series is worth a try.

The multiplayer in far cry 2 was horrendous but the campaign was excellent when I played it about 2 years ago. Plus you could probably get it for 2-3 euro.

Also the metro games, spec ops the line.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Far Cry 2 is a flawed but fascinating game, featuring the sort of experimentation and mechanical/thematic bravery no other major franchise sequel in recent memory has. Considerably more worthwhile than its cleaner but blander sequels.

However I don't think I'd recommend it to anyone looking for an introduction to the FPS genre. For that, there's no better bet than The Orange Box.

That's a great shout forgot all about it.

Bioshock and red dead redemption as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Far Cry 2 gave me Malaria.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,959 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Defiantly pick up BioShock. One of my all time favourite games.

• Advertisement

Far Cry 2 gave me Malaria.

Total immersion...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,380 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

hated that game because of the hampering mechanics involved
    You have to manage Malaria by taking pills every few minutes otherwise you eventually die so you have to keep finding more pills
    That is a flawed system which plagued another game I loved but had to abandon as I ran out of pills which was Galerians on the PS2

your vehicles falls to pieces if it runs over a pebble so you have continually repair the fecking thing

and then you have the continual respawning enemy camps and posts :mad:

I would only play it again if I could mod out all those annoyances

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Skerries wrote: »
    hated that game because of the hampering mechanics involved
    You have to manage Malaria by taking pills every few minutes otherwise you eventually die so you have to keep finding more pills
    That is a flawed system which plagued another game I loved but had to abandon as I ran out of pills which was Galerians on the PS2

Perversely that's exactly why I admired the game. I think they went too far in certain respects - mostly the respawning camps, which could have done with a more liberal respawn timer - but few games I can think of have done such a good job creating a genuinely hostile environment. The player is constantly being punished, which feels like a perfect fit for the harsh, dangerous terrain and situations you're navigating through. In a sense it was a clear precursor to the recent wave of survival games, although more 'cinematic' in its approach (IMO a good thing) and thankfully without the constant online trolling that has come to define those titles :pac:

Far Cry 3, on the other hand, feels like just another open world playground - it has tighter mechanics and is more 'fun' to explore, but ironically feels much less interesting as a result. Far Cry 2 is by no stretch of the imagination a perfect game, maybe even not a great one. But I'd love for the franchise to revisit the punishing, oppressive atmosphere and wild experimentation that still allows FC2 to stand out as a weird and wonderful outlier not only in its own franchise, but AAA gaming in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Dr. Mantis Toboggan

Half Life 2, Orange Box on Xbox 360. Might look a bit old now, but still a savage game.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭jaapbond

Thank you everybody for your suggestions, will have a try at them and see how I get on. All the help is much appreciated .

half life 2 definitely a good recommendation.

The gears of war series are pretty accessible to new gamers but very good - would be a good place to start I think and you can pick them up very cheaply these days.

Advertisement