Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Master of None

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Samoa Joe and Dean Ambrose never wrestled at a SummerSlam. Outrageous.

Excellent show, though. Brilliant modern comedy, with most episodes having a..."gimmick", like Louie or Man Seeking Woman, rather than having a traditional "format".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

S2 was even better than S1. Fantastic from start to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Footoo

Samoa Joe and Dean Ambrose never wrestled at a SummerSlam. Outrageous.

As someone who still has a soft spot for the WWE that conversation was amazing and totally out of the blue.

If the WWE don't do a whole angle of Samoa Joe vs Samosa Joe over the next year, then they've really missed a trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

S2 far better than S1.. but most suffered from relationship fatigue.

Dev + Rachel in S1 less so than Dev + Francesca in S2 - the last 3 or 4 episodes didn't need to revolve around it.

Still, very well written and definitely a step above most comedies on TV now, especially network comedies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Barlett

Say Hello, Wave Goodbye was a truly brilliant scene - could never happen if this was a network tv show

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

I loved season 2, thought it was better than the first.

Does anyone find its a bit low key here in Ireland compared to other Netflix shows? Like if I told someone I'm watching Master of None, they'd be like what's that or oh I seen that on my Netflix when browsing, what it's about? Compared to say your BCS, HoC, Unbreakable Kimmy Scmidt, all the marvel shows etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I didn't think it was as good as the first at all. I found it a bit over reaching, too much trying to be arty, too much imparting life lessons. I like being left with something to muse on in a comedy but I tend to resent being taught lessons through the vehicle of completely extraneous characters. The black gay woman story, the other story about the black guys on the night out, they were so on the nose, they could have been public service broadcasts. The "Meanwhile here's what's happening to my minority friends" thing just didn't work for me. The same messages could be imparted by weaving them into the narrative more and been way more entertaining.

One thing I was wondering about though!
    The last shot is Dev and Francesca in bed, with snow on the window as it was the first night she stayed over in the blizzard.
    Was that a shot from the present or the past? And if it was the past was all the stuff with him declaring feelings for her just Francesca imagining what might happen?
    Or am I overthinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

Best comedy show in a long time. S02 outshone S01, which was a tough ask. Excellent, excellent TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

Really enjoyed both series but did find it hard to keep liking Francesca as time wore on and she neither shat nor got off the pot... also didn't quite know how to interpret the last scene.
    Looking forward to season 3

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Was the child at the beginning of the series Francesca's child?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

The last scene was in the present. The first night she stayed over she wore a mens white shirt, in the last scene she was wearing something different.

I think S02E01 based in Modena was quite simply exquisite!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Pelvis wrote: »
    The last scene was in the present. The first night she stayed over she wore a mens white shirt, in the last scene she was wearing something different.

I think S02E01 based in Modena was quite simply exquisite!!

Just rewatched and she is not wearing her ring either , so definitely the future

The ambiguity over the last scene is over whether that's how it turns out or if it's her imagining the life she could have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

The ambiguity over the last scene is over whether that's how it turns out or if it's her imagining the life she could have.
    I don't see it as ambiguous at all. If that's what they wanted to portray then I think they could have come up with something a bit more imaginative.

Francesca literally is about to head off to the airport, I see it as her deciding against going home and instead going to Dev's instead.

And you might be right about that!

• Registered Users Posts: 60,280 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Season 3 drops all episodes on May 23th.

4 years after season 2 dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,828 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Amazing season 2 was sublime

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

Had no idea this was getting a third season, but am delighted. I only watched this show last year, so it's still fairly fresh in my mind. Really charming, funny, thoughtful. Surprised me so much compared to what I expected.

No Asiz this time round? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,355 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Basq wrote: »

He co-wrote and directed season 3 but looks like he'll only have a minor role if he does appear

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Basq wrote: »
    siblers wrote: »
    He co-wrote and directed season 3 but looks like he'll only have a minor role if he does appear

Wow, that's ridiculous

He is the show

• Registered Users Posts: 23,259 ✭✭✭✭ted1

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Wow, that's ridiculous

He is the show

He was cancelled with the #MeToo canoeing

ted1 wrote: »
    He was cancelled with the #MeToo canoeing

He wasn't cancelled, he got a slap on the wrists. Netflix kept him on but dumped Louis CK like hot lava

Two very different cases, but still

Looks like it's a spinoff if this title is anything to go by
    The five-episode season, titled Master of None Present: Moments in Love

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

yeah it's not a direct sequel, it's just coat-tailing the MON name, which is weird, Netflix hardly need to do that.

Probably be a crossover at some point.

It looks awful maudlin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

I don’t think it’s coat tailing, it’s the same characters just clearly not focussed on Aziz. Eric Wareheim said he shot scenes for it last year so he’s back too.

After he went through some controversy about ‘creepy’ behaviour on a date, I don’t think an semi- autobiographical show could work without either addressing that or ignoring it... and both are a tough sell.

Anyone try Season 3 yet? It landed today
    On Rotten Tomatoes, the third season holds an approval rating of 85% based on 20 reviews, with an average rating of 7.72/10.

The site's critical consensus reads, "Anchored by powerful performances from Lena Waithe and Naomi Ackie, Moments in Love is undeniably slow TV, but patient viewers will be rewarded with a surprising and mature season that wears its cinematic inspirations on its sleeve."

On Metacritic, the season has a score of 75 out of 100, based on 11 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews"

I really enjoyed Seasons 1 and 2 so not sure how I'll feel about the absence of Aziz

It's been years since I saw the first two Seasons so I might rewatch both before trying the new spinoff

Yeah, completely forgot it was back.. and wasn't that impressed with the trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Really different vibe to it. It's not comedic at all now and a tough watch. Hated both the main characters by the end of it.
    Aziz clearly in a bad place when he wrote this. Rewatch season 1 and 2 instead

• Advertisement

Given the lack of replies in this thread (and lack of general buzz in general) I think it's safe to say this Season was a miss

Advertisement