Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for Sea Kayak

• 20-10-2015 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,
    I'm looking for a good quality sea kayak, second hand ideally. I've done a lot of Kayaking previously, and have just completed the Level 2 course. I am at a level where I could probably complete the level 3 with ease, but I want to get a good foundation through practice so I can put the new techniques into practice.
    My aim for next year is to complete a trip from Valentia to Skellig Mhichíl next year, hence the need for a solid skill base. before I attempt this I will have completed the level 4 training course, and I will go with a group and an experienced trip leader.
    I've been doing alot of research online, but frankly am blown away by the variety of sit in sea kayaks.
    some background, I'm 5ft 10, 94kgs (yes a little heavy), reasonable to good upper body strength.

Based on that what kayak would people recommend? I've found
    spiritcraftkayaksandcanoes com/pre-owned-kayaks/
    darrenskayaks com/
    dave cottier (wicklow) on done deal?

and this seems a comphrensive revie
    topkayaker net/KayakData/KayakStats7.asp

do Kayak's usually come with some kind of warranty, or is it a case of buyer beware.
    What things should I look for when buying one?

Any feedback would be appreciated

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

I know both Darrens Kayaks and Bantry Bay Canoes and both of them are sound to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 CallinBollig

Thanks for that.
    Anyone know of any online kayak chooser? The one I posted returns way too many results

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

If you're around Dublin you could stop by www.i-canoe.com, they have a shop in Park West Industrial Estate, they should be able to give you some sound advice but I'm not sure if they do second hand boats. You could always just give them a call.

If you're buying second hand just make sure that no repairs have been carried out that could leak. Usual wear and tear is to be expected but anything that looks abused should be avoided.

I think it's better to get some advice from a shop first and then scour the second hand market but if you're committed to it, a new boat would serve you well but you'd need to make sure that it is suitable for your plans. The shops might also give you something to try if you're a serious buyer. Worth a shot anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭golden8

If you are around Dublin there is a sea kayaking club www.ecskc.eu (east coast sea kayaking club) and also Irish Sea Kayaking Association www.iska.ie. If you try out a sea kayak before you buy is probably the best way forward.

I have bought a few secondhand sea kayaks and have had no problems with any of them. I have both fibreglass and Plastic. Depends and what you want to get out of sea kayaking. If you are just starting or want to rock hop get plastic, and if you want speed and lightness then go fibreglass. Started out with plastic and kept it and then got fibreglass so have best of both worlds.

Advertisement