Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What would be the Irish Rugby team's official nickname?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭MikeCork2009

Schmidt Hot

Judging by some of the absolute barrista's on here we might as well resign ourselves to being called the Hipster Brigade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭smiley_face

iroced wrote: »
    We are not frogs. Frogs is what the English like to call us. Exactly like we call them les rosbifs.

Our nickname is a lot more simple and straightforward: Les Bleus.

Yeah we just go by each country's emblem.

England: le XV de la rose.
    Ireland: le XV du trèfle (shamrock).
    Italy: la squadra azzurra sometimes shortened as la squadra (the sky-blue team). We actually use the italian words, we don't translate.
    Scotland: le XV du chardon (thistle).
    Wales: le XV du poireau (leek).

Our emblem is le coq (gaulois) (the Gallic rooster) but we just call oiurselves le XV de France.

Outside Europe:
    Argentina: les Pumas
    Australia: les Wallabies.
    New Zealand: les All Blacks or just les Blacks. we almost never use les kiwis.
    South Africa: les Springboks.

We could go by our native language, and be called simply na fir ghlasa (as in the men in green).
    Closest pronunciation in English would be na-feer-gloss-a

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

The Contrabulous Fabtraptions of Professor Horatio Hufnagel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

Sorry.

Surrender monkeys.

Really? Bit offensive and rude if you ask me..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭smiley_face

We are not frogs. Frogs is what the English like to call us. Exactly like we call them les rosbifs.

Italy: la squadra azzurra sometimes shortened as la squadra (the sky-blue team). We actually use the italian words, we don't translate.

Our emblem is le coq (gaulois) (the Gallic rooster) but we just call oiurselves le XV de France.

Outside Europe:

Irish people never refer to France's rugby team as "The Frogs".
    I've always referred to the French team simply as "The French",
    As in 'If "The French" turn up they'll be hard to beat.'
    If I were attempting to be rhetorical I would call them "Les Blues" (in my best possible French pronunciation) for the added effect.
    In English, one would never use the term "The Cockerels" (or any similar variation) for the French, as it has a different connotation in slang that is not appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Three pages in and no mention yet of the obvious:

The Paddys

???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Outside Europe:

What do you call a quarter pounder with cheese?

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭croot

What we need is something marketable, that the world at large would readily associate with us, that would have a quick hook for logos and merchandise......

How about a play on a TV program name:

Orange & Green is the new (all) Black(s)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

National Symbol = Harp

'The Harpies'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harpy

'Female monster in the form of a bird with a human face'

Althought probably best for the ladies squad? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

whiskeyman wrote: »
    National Symbol = Harp

'The Harpies'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harpy

'Female monster in the form of a bird with a human face'

Althought probably best for the ladies squad? :D

524nwmp.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Redgirl82

rrpc wrote: »
    It's all so complicated. New Zealanders are referred to as Kiwis, because, well, kiwis come from there. Australians as Wallabies because it's their national symbol, French as frogs because they eat them.

So really a mix of symbol, well known produce and stuff we eat would be appropriate. Shamspudages anyone?

I have never once heard the French teams been referred to as the frogs.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

LorMal wrote: »
    Sorry.

Surrender monkeys.
    Really? Bit offensive and rude if you ask me..

More than offensive and rude, it's pathetic since it reflects plain ignorance of their own History (e.g. Lafayette) from 1) the original authors, 2) the ones who used it against us (e.g. Dave Letterman) back in the context of the US second war in Irak.

What I always found most amusing (especially coming from US) is the "cheese-eating" part. I'd love to know what the authors had in mind about that. I mean for us it's like if you want to get abusive at New-Zealand in saying "rugby playing blah blah blah blah" :rolleyes: :pac:...

-

Coming back to the topic, I'm surprised you don't use the shamrock emblem but it's true I never heard it during my time in Ireland. Which leads to this question: what about the Scots, the Welsh, the English? How do you call them? Just Scots, Welsh & English? I presume you don't use the thistle, the leek and the rose emblems to call them right?

what about the Scots, the Welsh, the English? How do you call them?

Depends entirely on whether or not they've beaten us recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

More than offensive and rude, it's pathetic since it reflects plain ignorance of their own History (e.g. Lafayette) from 1) the original authors, 2) the ones who used it against us (e.g. Dave Letterman) back in the context of the US second war in Irak.

What I always found most amusing (especially coming from US) is the "cheese-eating" part. I'd love to know what the authors had in mind about that. I mean for us it's like if you want to get abusive at New-Zealand in saying "rugby playing blah blah blah blah" :rolleyes: :pac:...

It actually originated from an episode of The Simpsons where cutbacks mean Groundskeeper Willie (a very over the top Scottish stereotype) has to teach French to the schoolkids and greets them with, well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUjGf2Grrus

This being the same 'The Simpsons' that very heavily mocks pretty much all types of humans, most often Americans.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭lunarhog

Depends entirely on whether or not they've beaten us recently.

Not widely used in Ireland but here goes:

Scots = Jocks
    Welsh = Taffs / Sheep worriers
    English = Poms / Sassanachs / some Scots also call them the Nigels

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

... Yeah, think this thread has had it's day. It'll just be a place for people to come and get offended soon!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement