Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Science/Biology Teaching Qualifications

• 16-09-2015 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I am currently finishing my undergrad BSc in Pharmacology, however I took Biochemistry up until last year. Started my undergrad career in UCD (2 years) and transferred directly to NUIG for 3rd and 4th. I am slightly concerned about whether my degree will be deemed suitable enough to qualify me to teach Biology. One of the requirements is that at least 5 ECTS from either Botany, Plant Physiology or Ecology. I remember quite clearly being forced to study plants, so I am almost certain that I qualify in this area. However, when I checked the module codes/names, none had any of the "key words" botany, plant phys or ecology in the title.

Also, I don't meet the requirement to teach JC science, due to the fact that I only have 5ECTS in physics, where 10 ECTS is the minimum. Is there any kind of competency test available, as I'm sure that I would be competent enough to teach JC physics.

Sorry for the long post,

Ciara :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

CiaraaOD wrote: »
    I am currently finishing my undergrad BSc in Pharmacology, however I took Biochemistry up until last year. Started my undergrad career in UCD (2 years) and transferred directly to NUIG for 3rd and 4th. I am slightly concerned about whether my degree will be deemed suitable enough to qualify me to teach Biology. One of the requirements is that at least 5 ECTS from either Botany, Plant Physiology or Ecology. I remember quite clearly being forced to study plants, so I am almost certain that I qualify in this area. However, when I checked the module codes/names, none had any of the "key words" botany, plant phys or ecology in the title.

You only did the modules in the last three years, surely you remember if the content was on plant physiology or not? Module names might be an indicator of the type of content, your lecture notes/books would be better.

Also, I don't meet the requirement to teach JC science, due to the fact that I only have 5ECTS in physics, where 10 ECTS is the minimum. Is there any kind of competency test available, as I'm sure that I would be competent enough to teach JC physics.

No, there are no short cuts, you have to do the modules like the rest of us. Physics, Chemistry and Biology involve practical work, so you would be expected to have completed the relevant labs also in a first year physics module.

Honestly, if you want to teach a subject, go and get the proper qualification for it by studying an extra module, rather than deciding you would be good enough to teach the subject based on your own standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 CiaraaOD

Hi Rainbowtrout,

I am sorry, I think that I came off as arrogant there when I didn't mean to. I know that there was a lot of plant phys/botany in my modules, I just wondered were specific modules review/accepted by the teaching council? And if so, how would I know that the modules I did are okay?

I have emailed the university to see if I can take an extra physics module, I am not looking for shortcuts. I simply wanted to know did the teaching council have any kind of independent assessment that I could study for in my own time, possibly during the summer, that wouldn't require me to spend time in my final year studying a first year physics module.

Thanks for your quick reply,

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Hi Rainbowtrout,

I am sorry, I think that I came off as arrogant there when I didn't mean to. I know that there was a lot of plant phys/botany in my modules, I just wondered were specific modules review/accepted by the teaching council? And if so, how would I know that the modules I did are okay?

I have emailed the university to see if I can take an extra physics module, I am not looking for shortcuts. I simply wanted to know did the teaching council have any kind of independent assessment that I could study for in my own time, possibly during the summer, that wouldn't require me to spend time in my final year studying a first year physics module.

Thanks for your quick reply,

You can check your degree and see if it's on the Teaching Council list for any subject, or you can send your transcript to them when you are finished for them to assess and see if you are able to teach any particular subject with it or what the shortfalls are.

TC do not provide any assessment in any subject. They only provide an exam for the history of education for people who have qualified as teachers abroad.

They couldn't possibly provide assessment anyway, because people from different backgrounds would have different shortfalls. You might only be missing a first year module but someone say from an engineering background might need a third year physics module or maths or whatever.

You still can't get around it, as you have to do the labs.

Advertisement