Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Inspiron Micro Desktop €149 @ DELL Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭theShire

quarryman wrote: »
    Received my sata cable today and hooked up my 250GB SSD.

So now I have Windows 10, 8GB ram and 250gb of storage all for about 170 euro. (already had the SSD lying around.)

Great bargain.

Have you a link to the cable?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ronanc1000

So now I have Windows 10, 8GB ram and 250gb of storage all for about 170 euro. (already had the SSD lying around.)

Great bargain.

Quarryman, any chance you have a link to the ram you got? How easy or difficult was it to install the new ram?

Thanks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

ronanc1000 wrote: »
    Quarryman, any chance you have a link to the ram you got? How easy or difficult was it to install the new ram?

Thanks.

put this one in mine last night, works perfectly
    http://eu.crucial.com/eur/en/inspiron-3050-micro-desktop/CT7282684

or search for part number CT7282684 on the crucial site

• Registered Users Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭54and56

mossym wrote: »
    put this one in mine last night, works perfectly
    http://eu.crucial.com/eur/en/inspiron-3050-micro-desktop/CT7282684

or search for part number CT7282684 on the crucial site

If the Inspiron is being used primarily as a HTPC running KODI and maybe Chrome in the background would adding more RAM deliver a noticeable improvement in performance? ATM it seems to run smooth and only issues a low memory warning if Minecraft is left open when running the other two.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭ejabrod

Xcellor wrote: »
    I can sell it to you as is but you'd need to get a replacement AC adaptor from DELL. It works fine but I think it's just sending too much voltage so causes some of the inards to make squeaky sounds.

I'll need to send back the unit soon if I'm gonna get a refund but I can sell for what it cost me (127.49) and ship through parcel motel (5 euro around) which is cheap enough.

If you're genuinely interested send me PM before Wednesday and I'll give you my paypal. I can tell DELL to cancel the return and transfer the warranty to you and I'll ship.

Ah right, thanks.

I though you did not have to return the original unit (I was trying to get a cheapie :D )

Thanks anyways.

If the Inspiron is being used primarily as a HTPC running KODI and maybe Chrome in the background would adding more RAM deliver a noticeable improvement in performance? ATM it seems to run smooth and only issues a low memory warning if Minecraft is left open when running the other two.

if you're happy with performance why even worry about it?

Performance is better with the increased RAM.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,168 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Great bargain.

Did you have to reinstall to the 250gb SSD or are you able to continue using the disk that came with it and dedicate the 250gb to storage as a separate disk?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Sappy404 wrote: »
    Did you have to reinstall to the 250gb SSD or are you able to continue using the disk that came with it and dedicate the 250gb to storage as a separate disk?

I'd like to know the answer to this also. I've heard mixed reports of the m.2 being disabled when a 2.5" drive is connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 AlanB87

maximus02 wrote: »
    Quarryman I have run the windirstat and it gives the following results:

Windows: 6.9gb 24.0%
    Unknown: 9.3gb 32.3%
    Free space: 9.6gb 33.4%

It's very strange that I seem to have 32% unknown space on my disk. It may be time to contact Dell at this stage. I think that's a tricky operation in itself.

BTW I'm not hearing any whining or other sounds from my power adaptor.

Thanks again for your assistance. I don't know if you have any further things to try at this stage.

Max

I found the lost 10+GB on my PC.
    I upgraded to W10. There were two failed upgrades along the way.
    I ran disk clean up, deleted restore points, CCleaner and WinDirStat all as Admin. But there was still 10GB missing.
    I then ran SpaceSniffer as an Admin and before crashing (from using too much RAM) I found the missing space.
    It is in the folder:
    C:/System Recovery/Repair/XXXXXXXXXX-Backup
    I had two of these folders along with a folder just called "Backup", and "Temp".
    I could not open these folders or even check folder size because it said I did not own. I took ownership and it then showed the two -Backup folders were using 5+GB each.
    I cannot find any more information on these folders or the files inside them online which is very unusual.
    I moved both of them to an external HDD. My PC is now working fine and I have recovered all the space.

• Advertisement

SickBoy wrote: »
    I'd like to know the answer to this also. I've heard mixed reports of the m.2 being disabled when a 2.5" drive is connected.

Just seeing this post now.

I've no idea. I had read similar about the m2 being disabled so just pulled it out and anyway and reinstalled win 10 on the new drive. (doesn't take long once you have the key).

maximus02 wrote: »
    Quarryman I have run the windirstat and it gives the following results:

Windows: 6.9gb 24.0%
    Unknown: 9.3gb 32.3%
    Free space: 9.6gb 33.4%

It's very strange that I seem to have 32% unknown space on my disk. It may be time to contact Dell at this stage. I think that's a tricky operation in itself.

BTW I'm not hearing any whining or other sounds from my power adaptor.

Thanks again for your assistance. I don't know if you have any further things to try at this stage.

Max

Hmm. My only suggestion now would be install window 8 from iso and completely wipe the drive when you get to that stage. Then follow my steps I posted earlier. If a recovery partition then hogs space google for the method for moving it to a USB and then deleting it from the dell.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭maximus02

AlanB87 wrote: »
    I ran disk clean up, deleted restore points, CCleaner and WinDirStat all as Admin. But there was still 10GB missing.
    I then ran SpaceSniffer as an Admin and before crashing (from using too much RAM) I found the missing space.
    It is in the folder:
    I had two of these folders along with a folder just called "Backup", and "Temp".
    I could not open these folders or even check folder size because it said I did not own. I took ownership and it then showed the two -Backup folders were using 5+GB each.
    I cannot find any more information on these folders or the files inside them online which is very unusual.
    I moved both of them to an external HDD. My PC is now working fine and I have recovered all the space.

AlanB87 Thanks for tips.

Edit: I got into the system recovery folder but it says it is empty. Thanks anyway for assistance. It's very annoying!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 487 ✭✭Chorus_suck

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭styron

It has to be DDR3L - low voltage (1.35V not 1.5V)

there is only one memory slot, which already has 2gb in it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 487 ✭✭Chorus_suck

unless i'm wrong on the number of slots:

there is one slot with 2gb of ram in there. if you take it out, and put in your 2gb, you will have.....

2gb.

and that's ignoring styron's point on compatability.

so yeah, no joy

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Mahogany Gaspipe

I would just suggest to others not too tech savy (like myself) to first use the machine for a little while before ordering upgrade parts, well certainly the RAM.

I find the machine as it is out of the box to be able to handle my browsing, movies and processing needs just fine. Storage undoubtedly is small and will need upgrading.
    Is the only drawback with just using a external HD that its not as neat a solution vs. changing out the internal HD?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭maximus02

AlanB87 wrote: »
    It is in the folder:

AlanB87 I have now managed to find some space using your method above.
    I now have 16.1gb free space which is a lot better than I had previously.

Thanks again.
    Max

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Just to update Ive been able to install a SATA hard drive and use the original 32 gigabyte drive for OS.

Didn't need to reinstall.

Just to update Ive been able to install a SATA hard drive and use the original 32 gigabyte drive for OS.

Sweet. I might put mine back so!

Edit: actually, does that mean you can *boot* off both though or is the other just storage? ie. Can i have an OS on each?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 kungfual

Xcellor does the extra SATA fit inside? is it 2.5?
    Any info you could give to do it?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

If anyone has one to sell I'm still after one! Xcellor did u send ur faulty one back yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭long_b

Can this thread be moved please? Wrong forum now as BA well gone

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

long_b wrote: »
    Can this thread be moved please? Wrong forum now as BA well gone

Exactly.

It's back in stock now at €178+VAT (€249) and windows 10 pre-installed.
    http://www.dell.com/ie/p/inspiron-3050-micro-desktop/pd?oc=cd5005

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

I checked it about 45 mins ago, it was showing up as 249 all in, must of went down already!
    kaizersoze wrote: »
    Exactly.

It's back in stock now at €178+VAT (€249) and windows 10 pre-installed.
    http://www.dell.com/ie/p/inspiron-3050-micro-desktop/pd?oc=cd5005

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Lenny wrote: »
    I checked it about 45 mins ago, it was showing up as 249 all in, must of went down already!

€178 +VAT & Del (€249)

I was on the business site

• Advertisement

kungfual wrote: »
    Xcellor does the extra SATA fit inside? is it 2.5?
    Any info you could give to do it?

Yes and yes. See the link I posted to the cable you need.

Advertisement