Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What bike related thing is in the post to you right now ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭ARX

I have those wheels. The front has been fine but I had a broken spoke on the back after about 100 km.

The spoke holes on the rear (I haven't checked the front) are offset (not centred in the rim) and the rim tape is crap. After a couple of mystery punctures I realised that the rim tape was exposing the edge of the spoke hole. I put an 18 mm Schwalbe High Pressure tape and got another puncture, so I put a 20 mm tape in. That seems to have solved the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭G1032

Oh Lord. That doesn't fill he with confidence 🤣🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

replacement gear cables and Look Keo pedals from CRC. Changed rear derailleur cable after it snapped last week. First attempt at changing a cable which I'm very proud of (it was externally routed which made it easier)! 😋 Also had to open the shifter to remove the end of the old cable.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Cateye 1700, I don't need it but I moved house ot the country and most of my 5am commutes will be on rural roads in the near future. When asked about would I not get a 2nd car for the house, I asked for this instead.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Dia Compe downtube shifters and a Ritchey Classic C220 Stem ........which I found out that my new Ritchey Bars will not fit the existing stem!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Ordered a Selle Italia SP-01 TM Superflow. The basic Selle Italia on my bike tilts upwards at the nose and there's a lot of flex behind it making the nose even more pronounced putting pressure on my bits. Eventually settled on -6° tilt while on the turbo for it to go away but then had discomfort all over so the saddle just isn't for me.

I have the SLR TM Superflow on my other bike, it's flat, has a huge cutout and is stiffer. Went with the SP-01 to try the split rear design, worst case scenario I can return it after 30 days with Mantel and get another SLR.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I've been sick for the last few days so went a bit all out with orders, probably my full year's budget gone:

• Not in the post but in the boot of my car waiting for the wife to disappear so I can sneak them in - Genesis Equilibrium frameset & Genesis CGR One carbon fork for my Croix de Fer. The Equilibrium was planned for a few weeks, the fork was a spontaneous decision as I had looked at ways of reducing the weight of my CdF but had forgotten about it. When I was collecting the Equilibrium, I mentioned to the dealer that I loved the CdF but wished it was a tiny bit lighter, he pulled the fork out from under the counter and offered it to me at a great price so I couldn't turn it down. Will save almost a kilo.
    • A Shimano 105 disc groupset for the above build
    • A Galibier winter order (Energie 2 bib tights and a Mistral Pro jacket)
    • New summer jerseys from Le Col
    • Long-sleeved jerseys from Rapha and a Belgian brand called Peleton de Paris

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you need to get your wife into horseriding*; i could buy a top end bike every year for the money horseriding eats up.

*unless you like having money

• Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

the key is always to buy the same colour bike

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Have ordered 2 setsd of Swisstop Flash Pro BXP pads from AllTricks (good value @ €15 a set). While I was at it, I decided to get a Lezyne CO2 pump and a half dozen 16g CO2 refills.

About to pull the trigger on a few bits from Galibier (Zoncolan gilet, Route Softshell jacket & another pair of Énergie bib tights) - at this stage, I probably look like a mobile advert for Galibier when I'm out for a spin!

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭ARX

Thanks for the tip, I have those pads in my Mantel shopping basket at €24.35. Have you used them before and if so, how do you find them? In particular, are they hard on rims? Thanks.

They were recommended to me by others on here. In about a year I've used a few sets and never have a problem stopping even when wet.

Don't seem harder on the rims than other brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Not arriving - I picked this up yesterday :D

I got it with the integrated mudguards & rack as it will become my commuter also when I return to the office.

And then in the post to go with it are some matching red bottle cages, Garmin combo mount, saddle bag with tools etc. I already took the bike out off road up Howth last night - a lot of fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭cletus

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Bike 24

Smart sam 27.5 x 2.25 x2

Pirelli tubes x2

Spank Spike QR adapters x2

36T cassette for a 2x setup.

MTB hardtail is 650b but came with CX 700c wheels

now i have interchangeable wheels CX & XC!

ready to rock for Kinitty!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Closest it got to a new bike this Xmas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Any comments or thoughts on the rack and guards? Are they good quality, sturdy? Made of plastic I guess? Better option than aftermarket? Did you have to order in advance or do they have them in stock? Sorry for all the questions, I've similar cube gravel on order from same shop, was wondering about the mudguards alright but will probably be doing little to no commuting but this will be my winter bike in future, maybe with a spare wheelset and road tyres

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

+1 I have the Spatz Roadman overshoes. They are great when the average temperature is 5 degrees or lower. Above 5 and they are very warm!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

No worries and some initial thoughts for now!

Yeah the mudguards are good, a firm plastic and look better to me than the likes of the SKS alternative which they had initially recommended and fitted to it for me. I then had them change them out for the integrated ones which they had in stock as with the rack they didn't offer the quick on and off that I was looking for. FWIW another customer was brought over to see my bike when I was at the checkout as he was thinking of the same approach - he was impressed and said he was going for the same.

That said I'm not sure that the integrated rear mudguards work without the rack, if you look at the pics on the website for example it looks like the rack gives the mudguards structure and they're screwed together. I want to take mine apart over the weekend as they also fitted the rack in such a way that the rail at the top is way off level which looks clearly incorrect to me. It may be that they can fit the rear mudguard by itself but you'd need to confirm that with them. Removing the mudguards also requires removal of the rear wheel, which isn't the case with the SKS for example...

Lastly there was definitely better clearance with the integrated mudguards, so much so that I was off road on it during the week and never even noticed that they were on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Great price and great pads and now down to €12.49. Never heard of AllTricks before but any shipping discounts for certain value orders or what did postage cost you? I only see "Free Delivery to a collection point on orders over €40. Valid only in metropolitan France" on their website and if only ordering the pads delivery would be €13.99 so that rules them out.

Some great prices on other items from AllTricks, Continental 700x20c tubes for €2.99 so could certainly make up an order of €40 or so but shipping still an obstacle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭saccades

Fox 34 factory kashima headset spacers.

Someone had an expensive accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,626 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Rear Hanger for a TCR, €6 but €10 delivery. Looking back i should have bought two.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

A replacement locking mechanism for my ebike. There's a pin connecting the external latch with the internal release, the pin snapped out of the internal release. Go figure a cheap little plastic lever wouldn't be up to the force needed to release a heavy duty latch holding a 2kg battery.

Fortunately I can release it manually, just need a long screwdriver and a good push. I'll just need to remember a screwdriver for my next commute to work!

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭gn3dr

I think their delivery to Ireland is free above €150 or something like that.

Never heard of AllTricks before but any shipping discounts for certain value orders or what did postage cost you?

I used them a few months ago to get a 105 shifter. Got it at a good price and quick delivery.

Got my LBS to do the swap as I was busy with work. They were amazed I was able to get it so quick as it would have been months before they could source one. Apparently they are now using AllTricks for parts they can't get direct from Shimano.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,626 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Supacuz bar tape for the good bike, vastly overpriced but sure what isn't these days.

€42 delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

the plus side of that though is not having to justify the money you spend on cycling

• Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭Macy0161

GripGrab gaiters, after my boots getting full of water when we got caught in a torrential shower on a club spin a few weeks back. Water eventually just ran down my Mistral bibs into the boots, and they took ages to dry! 3rd winter in, and the first boot "fail" though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭joey100

A new Fizik Antares R3 Adaptive saddle. One of the new 3d printed style saddles, always liked the original antares and needed a new saddle so thought I'd try it. Only problem will be if it's as good as most of the reviews and suddenly I need one for all the bikes!

Advertisement