Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What bike related thing is in the post to you right now ...

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I'm after ordering a few pairs of socks from Galibier just now as I managed to wreck some recently on their first wash. Put them in with some shirts for a 30° wash. My wife came in after a while and asked why I had a 90° wash on - I hadn't turned the dial fully. The yellow socks lost colour and look very faded whilst the white and sky blue ones took on some colour and are now a pale turquoise kind of colour. The shirts were fine!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my father in law, about two years ago, refused to listen to my MIL when she was heading off for a week, and decided he didn't need to be told how to use the washing machine. he ruined half his boxer shorts, several jumpers, and a bundle of other items. the jumpers would probably have fit a 9 year old they came out so small.

Washing machine design with the dials are outdated in this day and age. I can use the dials no bother though 😎

EDIT: Washing related, I switched to the cheapo Aldi deodorant for the last month or so and while it does out last the competition in terms of smelling nice it's left a serious amount of almost waxy residue caked into to the pits of some of my t-shirts and jerseys after a couple of washes. Maybe break out the vinegar?

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

A set of EF Team bibshorts and Jersey, and two sets of LeCol gear from Ali Express, Appear to be held up in customs.

The latest thing with gear coming in from outside the EU is that you haven't the €22 minimum before customs get involved, it appears that everything will be getting hit with a VAT/Import duty levy.

Also a new system within Customs, if there is a phone number or email address attached, they will send a text or email{or both in my case} telling you to go to the local post office to pay the duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

I have used Soda crystals (drypak - green bag)in the wash before to 'refresh' things like socks etc, so might be worth a try. Worked for me on 30 and 40 degree washes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

Castelli Endurance 3 bib shorts arrived. Supposed to be very comfortable. Went with size L which has been fine for other Castelli gear. However the shoulder straps are very tight. I hate returning stuff so I may end up stitching in an extra piece of fabric to lengthen the straps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

New Fizik shoes from Bike24. DHL have made 2 'attempts' to deliver them. By attempts, I mean he tried to open our glass porch door (which is always locked) and then just drove away without even ringing the doorbell. There was someone home both times.

The camera never lies........😤

• Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Bell Falcon MIPS Road Helmet. Happy that I used my Cycling Ireland membership €20 off voucher and 12.5% discount so instead of €119 got it for €85. And free delivery is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭jamesd

Pair of GP5000s, swapped from GP4000s to 4 Seasons and felt like they killed the bike so going to try 5000s.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

That just reminded me that I have a brand new pair of GP4000s 28mm in a cupboard for the bike I keep in my parent's house, bought them in mid-2019 and completely forgot about them as it hasn't been touched since

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,632 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I got hit for €6 on a €12 saddle bag today. No more AliExpress for me.

Luck of the draw with them as to what they have in the EU based warehouses.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Galibier Torment 2 waterproof light jacket (fits in back pocket). Got a 115km Club charity cycle in mid August so handy to have this with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭cletus

Two things happened today. I got paid, and I got an email from Galibier about their new Piste jersey, with a code for a tenner off the first hundred orders.

I combined both of these events, and now one of those jerseys is on its way to me

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Dot fluid, dot grease and Pirelli's new P7 tyres. My Sram shifter/caliper woes hopefully will be solved by a teardown and thorough clean and regreasing of parts as I continue searching for a mechanic who is great with SRAM

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭f1000

ordered this last Thurs, turned up on Sunday. My saddle snapped and needed something to try out

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

I beam saddle,9 speed chaain, xt wheel axle, grips, formula R1 brake pads

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭ARX

A couple of helmets from Planet X which apparently have been returned to them without delivery ever having been attempted ...

Bit of an expensive purchase but hopefully worth it with winter approaching. Just ordered a Tacx Neo 2t trainer from:

Even with shipping it's about a €100 cheaper than anywhere else.

Also got myself a Lifeline Trainer Table and mat, Mabel is basically a rip-off of the one made by Wahoo but at like half the cost. You can find both on Wiggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭G1032

Shimano gear cable set

Brake pads for my hybrid

BB30 bearings

Chain lube

Chamois cream

Purchased from both CSS and CRC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭gn3dr

Favero Assioma Duo pedals. Finally pulled the trigger on these last night and ordered from Cigala cycling. First foray into power meter land for me outside of the indoor trainer.

I had been waiting on the SPD SL versions but the increased Q factor turned me off when they announced the kits in July. I would have gone for the Garmin SDP SL pedals if the pricing was lower.

So after years on SPD SL I'm switching back to the Look system. Which is what I was on pre SPD SL anyway nearly 20 yrs ago. Leaves me with 3 X SPD SL redundant pedal sets though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Saw a special offer in Decathlon for Brooks B17 Imperial at €87 euro so picked one up for the turbo bike. Had been trying out the Cambium C17 but didn't get on with it that well, so it's different flavours of B17 on all three bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Maxxx17

I'm a fan of bikes. And one of my dreams is to buy one. But so far it's just a dream. I still have to save and save.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Jesus Christ lads, am I just fat or, fat AND stupid. I can't seem to get any joy from the Boards search facility at all. I don't know how to narrow down the search to one section. I give up.

Anyway, I know there are threads on Chainreaction cycles and post brexit shopping but I simply can't find them

Had intended a couple of things to be winging their way to me from CRC but at checkout I see 4.99 euro shipping to the Irish republic and 8 working days estimated delivery???!!

WTF? -That's new. I knew wiggle were that way, but I didn't think CRC were. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

Continental 4 Seasons 25mm with Spare Tubes

Chain Cleaner

MucOff Cleaning supplies

Chain Checker

new bottle cage screws for my hybrid

• Registered Users Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Whereabouts from? 'Twas chain cleaner I was endeavouring to order myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

They were taken over by Wiggle a few years ago. A couple of months ago, I ordered from CRC and Bike24 within 5 minutes of each other. The German order was with me a few days earlier (and was actually the bigger packaging).

Just on non-eu from Ali - some are adding VAT to the order in checkout, which is supposed to get around issues. Haven't tested it yet, but starting to look at the winter commuting gear...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

New Scribes!

Ordered a set of Pace rims today and should have them at the end of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭gn3dr

It's not just you. The search facility is shite on a phone anyway. Can't even sort results by date from what I can see.

I've more or less given up on Chain Reaction especially since Brexit. I used Alltricks last October for the first time and have continued to buy from them. Generally much cheaper than CRC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tigerboon

I have a bottom bracket on the way from them. There wasn't any delivery charge. Maybe there's minimum purchase or something. The 8 days is correct but maybe that's because it's not coming from Belfast but god knows where with multiple distribution sites.

Advertisement