Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas Crafts Thread

• 21-08-2015 1:19pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

A whole new thread dedicated to make & do, diy decorations ideas, table setting ideas and general Christmas Crafts idea.

As I am not crafty or arty in anyway I'll let someone else kick off this thread with some insipration, If anyone needs me I'll be over in the Baking thread drooling at the cookies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

I'm not very art and crafty at all but have decided this year I'm going to make a go ( dam pinterest giving me ideas :/ ) wondering if anyone has had any luck making any christmas signs on wood using wax or paper transfers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Glitzgirl wrote: »
    I'm not very art and crafty at all but have decided this year I'm going to make a go ( dam pinterest giving me ideas :/ ) wondering if anyone has had any luck making any christmas signs on wood using wax or paper transfers ?

Never tried that, I have to say. How does it work?

I mostly sew and I've recently taken up knitting- although it's safe to say it's not my strongest suit.

I also do a pottery class so a LOT of friends get slightly wonky mugs for Christmas, but I don't care!

I also do a pottery class so a LOT of friends get slightly wonky mugs for Christmas, but I don't care!

Loved reading this! Not quiet sure have been looking into it on pinterest I think if you print off an image or lettering onto wax paper you can transfer that onto wood. Could also get some red coloured blackboard paint and stencils and a chalk pen but I think I'm more likely to make a mistake that way ! Was hoping someone here may have some more detailed instruction on it or have done it before.

Kind of like this one I think it's adorable !

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

A really great way to get crafty at Christmas is to make your own name cards for the Christmas table. This type of thing is simple and really cute:

f70bc6d8acc0d39eb226ec5865126859.jpg

My sister made these using felt a few years ago and they looked great:

enhanced-buzz-32054-1386797301-6.jpg

• Advertisement

I love the knitted cutlery holder !! I pinned some very similar stuff lately and want to make a start on it ! The kids have an outdoor toy house , a Wendy house ?? , and I've told them we will convert it to gingerbread house for christmas! Bought my pool noodles to make giant lollipops for the walkway yesterday !

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

The snowman door and fridge door are so simple but effective. Absolutely doing that to my house!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

I'm hoping to make some of my own decorations this year.

Would love to try these, not sure how they'll work with the glitter though as I don't want it everywhere.

Glitter leaves - https://www.pinterest.com/pin/72902087693834349/

ce594283d1c1fbd80e057296491b9a9a.jpg

Glitter trees.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/575475658610296278/

fef9870433c627807175fef6b108cd4e.jpg

Definitely going to try these. I have pretty much everything that's needed I think, and we have loads of bows. This would be lovely along the banister of the stairs I think, or over the big mirror in the porch.

f41b2971a8e7f53f1569d7e6f63cbde6.jpg

Been wanting to do these lit-twigs for ages, not just for Christmas, but for use all year round, have everything, just need to get the twigs.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/522628731729261494/

5e131f3d34d65ebb620ed578786fcd95.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭DrJ

Some really fantastic stuff here, folks. I am really hoping to make it to the RDS Christmas crafts fair this year and maybe the one at the docklands. I received a handmade snowman ornament with my name on it last year as a present and homemade tiffin bites and you know what it was gorgeous and so refreshing compared to the same old mass produced bought from a chain store stuff. This Christmas I am hoping to really go the local handmade route. Obviously this stuff is always more expensive but I'm thinking less is more this year. Small portions of good quality rather than large portions of junk. The Roses debacle over the last few years ad the struggling economy have just really changed my mind about these things.
    Look at me getting all fired up about Christmas decorations and nibbles. I'm lucky that's all I've to worry about :o

Bought some coloured card and chalk markers! Ready to get my craft on! For the first 10 mins til I realise I am really bad at it and probably shouldn't have bothered :P

• Advertisement

DrJ wrote: »
    I am really hoping to make it to the RDS Christmas crafts fair this year

Details of this please!!!

I started my pottery class last night. So lots of chances to get crafty coming up. I've already started the "Christmassy" stuff, this is going to be a Christmas tree forest plaque for our porch. I'll probably glaze the background white and the trees in different greens. Hopefully it'll look good. I'll make a few ornaments and stuff too.

363558.JPG

363559.JPG

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I love this thread. :)

At the moment I am doing lino printing. I'm cutting out designs to make Christmas themed prints for home made cards and paper. Here's one:

vqle1z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Very impressive! I love lino printing. I haven't done it since secondary school.

This is a bit out there, but does anyone have a busted typewriter they'd be willing to part with for some money (not much!) or some baked goods/ jam/ random pottery?

I have some ideas for some artwork for presents etc but I need to make letter stamps, and typewriter letters would be perfect. You can get the letters online but they tend to be crazy expensive, especially for shipping.

I started my pottery class last night. So lots of chances to get crafty coming up. I've already started the "Christmassy" stuff, this is going to be a Christmas tree forest plaque for our porch. I'll probably glaze the background white and the trees in different greens. Hopefully it'll look good. I'll make a few ornaments and stuff too.

363559.JPG

I finished it!

366933.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭cadesin

[new users can't quote pics]
    Love the ideas StripedBoxers. I want to try them all out! Never seen the burlap light project before. Such good ideas!

Good Job baby and crumble, those turned out great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭cadesin

[new users can't post links]

Am thinking of making red and white Danish Paper Heart ornaments with the kids, heart garlands as an Advent Countdown, and festive Christmas crackers.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Made a new lino print stamp - a robin this time.

2crwpvo.jpg

I miss lino printing. It's so therapeutic. I used to steal the offcuts from art class and just carve stuff in study hall all the time...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

This is such a good idea for the little ones

2gxojew.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

I'm making a christmas apron at the moment. Got a sewing machine lately so it's my first project. Have a gathered skirt done, just need to put a bib on it. Really easy actually, it's a red fabric with gold leaf outlines and I'm putting a glittery gold binding around the outside. At least I'll look good running around the kitchen in a lather!

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

How do you make those? I don't really understand Pinterest :o I can see the picture but not the instructions!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

If you click on 'Visit' under the image on Pinterest it takes you to the site that the image was pinned from. They don't always take you to the exact page though so you might need to do a bit of a search.

Edit: on that one it seems to just bring you to another Pinterest type site rather than the instruction s on how to make it :(

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Coming close to the end of the last sleeve of S's Christmas jumper. Then the "fun" of doing the front with the picture on it starts. He asked for a Batman design and I had to design it myself as I couldn't find a suitable pattern. I've never designed nor knitted such a complicated pattern before, so I'm a bit nervous.

• Never tried that, I have to say. How does it work?

I mostly sew and I've recently taken up knitting- although it's safe to say it's not my strongest suit.

Shades of Deirdre Barlow there! Keep it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I used to be really into crafts when I was younger. I'm always interested in trying them as an adult but have just never committed myself! I still love making cards and coming up with decorative ways to wrap presents. Oh and I made my own Christmas jumper a few years ago, but that's as far as it goes in my adult life!

Are there many (any?) adult craft type classes in Dublin that anyone could recommend? I did actually sign up for a crochet class a few years ago, but it got cancelled at the last minute due to low numbers :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

11207279_901504783232532_4956081408246903905_n.jpg?oh=704b8639542fc322a834b1306cd8461b&oe=56E366C2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

Not as fancy as all the amazing stuff here but every year I make those shaker, snow globe cards with the kids I teach arts and crafts to. No matter what age they are nobody can say no to glitter :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Advertisement