Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Americans watch Father Ted [VIDEO]

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Ted's 20 years old so it's even harder to translate to any 'new' audience, especially an American audience who would be lost on many of the shows references.

Sure funny is funny but So much has changed in that time. I love Ted but one of the things that made it such a massive success here was our strange relationship with the church. It was more than simply a comedy in many respects.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

I don't think their comments were that harsh... they were coming around to it by the end.

I think a few more episodes would do it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 652 ✭✭✭DanielODonnell

It is offensive to Roman Catholics but that is the problem with modern Irish-Roman Catholics, they don't take it seriously. My priest isn't a fan of it.

On another matter, the "Irish Catholics" in USA aren't technically Irish Roman Catholics as they are not members of the Irish Roman Catholic church.

Plus Irish people who aren't Christians anymore are not Irish Catholics, just because you were baptised in a Roman Catholic church doesn't make you a Roman Catholic for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Since when did Catholics refer to themselves as 'Roman' Catholics at all?

AFAIK, most Protestant churches consider themselves to be 'catholic', and they use the term 'Roman Catholic' to describe those that believe in the Pope etc.

• Advertisement

My church is the Roman Catholic church, not Anglican or whatever

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

My church is the Roman Catholic church, not Anglican or whatever

Yeah, and I bet your country's flag is green, white and gold, rather than green, white and orange, right?

Seriously, I suggest you do a little research into your own religion!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

J. Marston wrote: »
    They'd probably be rolling about laughing if you put Big Bang Theory in front of them.

Sheldon is a pale imitation of Niles Crane
    His girlfriend is a pale imitation of Lillith Crane

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

J. Marston wrote: »
    They'd probably be rolling about laughing if you put Big Bang Theory in front of them.

Yeah but who doesn't find TBBT funny?

Sheldon Cooper is the most brilliant comic creation since Basil Fawlty.
    Big Bang Theory is the best written, best acted best observed sit com since Frasier.

Father Ted had some moments of bizarre surreal hilarity but basically it was an overrated poorly acted farce which went down well in Britain because it was not afraid to poke fun at rural Irish Catholic stereotypes and we are still so ****ing insecure that we take anything positive the Brits say about us as a ringing endorsement of its high cultural merit. Even when it's nothing of the sort.

Go on go on go on go on go on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Sheldon Cooper is the most brilliant comic creation since Basil Fawlty.
    Big Bang Theory is the best written, best acted best observed sit com since Frasier.

Father Ted had some moments of bizarre surreal hilarity but basically it was an overrated poorly acted farce which went down well in Britain because it was not afraid to poke fun at rural Irish Catholic stereotypes and we are still so ****ing insecure that we take anything positive the Brits say about us as a ringing endorsement of its high cultural merit. Even when it's nothing of the sort.

Go on go on go on go on go on.

Not sure if you are being ironic?

All of the best British comedies play up to stereotypes - The Office, Only Fools and Horses, The Royle Family. What makes British and Irish humour great is that we can laugh at ourselves.

Sheldon Cooper is no funnier a creation that Niles Crane or Cosmo Kramer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

BBC America showed Fr Ted for a few months but had to stop because gob****es in Boston and New York complained that it was offensive to Irish people and Catholics.

Yep, and it was f*cking CUT anyway !!!

These dopes watching it probably think The Big Bang theory is hilarious too.

Dickerty wrote: »
    Not sure if you are being ironic?

Deadly serious actually.

Sheldon Cooper is no funnier a creation that Niles Crane

I'd give Sheldon the edge but at least you're crediting him with some worthy company.
    or Cosmo Kramer.

I'm supposed to know who Cosmo Kramer is, right?

Google informs me he was a character in Seinfeld, which I could never watch because of that ****ING bass guitar continuity jingle. Who thought that was a good idea?

If you must have that sort of divider between scenes just put in a silent or near silent swoosh like BBT or That Seventies Show does. (Even they are totally unnecessary.) But that "Me-e-e-n" doo wop ****e in Two and a Half Men or Seinfeld's bass bollox.........

Sorry I'm ranting.

I'm sure Cosmo was very funny.

Advertisement