Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terminating A Lease Early

Options
  • 11-08-2015 7:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

So as the title suggests, in May I signed a 6 month lease. Now however I would like to terminate the lease early. Is this possible with enough notice? I want to check if there's any regulation or rule that is industry standard etc.
    Or is it a case of landlords say only.
    Was originally living with gf, broke up, so don't/can't pay 90EUR a week.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

9bred4 wrote: »
    So as the title suggests, in May I signed a 6 month lease. Now however I would like to terminate the lease early. Is this possible with enough notice? I want to check if there's any regulation or rule that is industry standard etc.
    Or is it a case of landlords say only.
    Was originally living with gf, broke up, so don't/can't pay 90EUR a week.
    Thanks

What does your lease say? Is there a break clause?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭9bred4

(Going to probably make myself look like an idiot)

We weren't given a copy of one. Landlord is a bit... ditzy I'll say

(Going to probably make myself look like an idiot)

We weren't given a copy of one. Landlord is a bit... ditzy I'll say

It would be surprising to see a break clause in a six month lease but without a copy you can't be sure. If there isn't one you can seek permission from your landlord to reassign the lease. Might be worth just asking if you can end the lease early first though, it might suit the landlord.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭9bred4

Okay so there is no "If I give 31 days notice he has to" sort of rule? Everyone around here is local and I know him so might hope for a good break.
    Thanks for that.

Okay so there is no "If I give 31 days notice he has to" sort of rule? Everyone around here is local and I know him so might hope for a good break.
    Thanks for that.

No, if you have a fixed term lease it depends on the conditions of the lease. You are not in the property long enough to have gained part iv tenancy rights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Advertisement