Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Accursed Kings series

• 10-08-2015 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭

I was wondering if anyone here has read the series The Accursed Kings by Maurice Druon? It's based on the fourteenth century battle for power in France just before the start of the Hundred Year's War. Goerge R.R. Martin has cited it as a big influence.

I just got done with the first of the seven books called The Iron King and there's a foreword written by Martin:
    The Accursed Kings has it all. Iron kings and strangled queens, battles and betrayals, lies and lust, deception, family rivalries, the curse of the Templars, babies switched at birth, she-wolves, sin, and swords, the doom of a great dynasty … and all of it (well, most of it) straight from the pages of history. And believe me, the Starks and the Lannisters have nothing on the Capets and Plantagenets.

He goes on to call it the original Game of Thrones. Despite that plug it doesn't appear to be very well known in this part of the world, though.

I did enjoy reading the first book and could see similarities with A Game of Thrones. Of course these books lack the supernatural elements of Martin's books and so there's much more of an emphasis on the political intrigues, plotting etc.

Is anyone here a fan? I intend to get the next book in the series anyway.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

It's the first time I've heard of it, sounds interesting.

I'll put it on my ridiculously long reading list.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

//MOD

Moved from Game of Thrones as I think the wider audience here may be more suitable.

//MOD

Advertisement