Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BrewDog Bar Ireland

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Sorry if I'm being dense, but what does this mean - the 'not-a-bar' thing? A range of pubs that aren't Brewdog-branded will be stocking and delivering a range of Brewdog products

I think essentially you can order cans and crowlers of BrewDog beer and "BrewDog" style food items for delivery. They'll be supplied by a 3rd party.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They're giving a very open and yet still rather odd excuse for this on the shareholder forum - their previous NI distie was bought by Musgraves and they didn't want to deal with them due to the off-trade side of the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Ballso wrote: »
    7.25 is not a lot of money for brewdogs customers. People have been unable to wrap their heads around this fact for the entire duration of this thread.

Rent free/ mortgage free/ one pint drinkers are they all? :P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

L1011 wrote: »
    They're giving a very open and yet still rather odd excuse for this on the shareholder forum - their previous NI distie was bought by Musgraves and they didn't want to deal with them due to the off-trade side of the business.
    I still can't understand this, surely that is a positive for a distributor? Are they just trying to hide the fact that Coors offered them a better deal and that's that.

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    I still can't understand this, surely that is a positive for a distributor? Are they just trying to hide the fact that Coors offered them a better deal and that's that.

My understanding is that they didn't want Musgraves knowing what prices they charge to distributors in the north vs to supermarkets in ROI.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Dublin #2 and Cork are both on the Coming Soon list now, should anyone still want to go!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Go where people don't have ready access to iPlayer. Smart strategy, smart guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭DelmarODonnell

Still can't get over the fact that Brewdog is selling pints of Punk IPA for €7.65.

The new Wetherspoons bar literally 500 metres walk from it (South Strand) selling Punk IPA for €4.55.

The Wetherspoons food is absolute slop and the staff are trea.... actually, no, we can't really try to claim the Brewdog staff are treated any better anymore! Paid more, though. But if you want food with your pints, and don't want a microwaved burger, you won't be going to South Strand.

Other food options superior to Wetherspoons exist nearby too.

• Advertisement

They brew the beer themselves, how can costs possibly be so high that they would be required to sell if for almost 170% the price of Wetherspoons? I find it very hard to believe that Brewdog has staff costs that much higher, while also getting their kegs of Punk IPA at cost price.

And if you want food you shouldn't be going to Brewdog either, the burger is 15-16 euro before you even add chips on. I work close to the area and would tend to leave the area for Beer, Food anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

It's a completely different business model. You've comparing a Holiday Inn with a Boutique hotel. Both have beds

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Spoons punk is 5.2% and definitely tastes inferior (not €3 a pint inferior lol).

Is it still the original 5.6% in the brewdog bars or has it reduced to 5.4% like the cans?

The amount you pay for any beer has very little to do with the cost of producing and serving it.

Based on their local living wage claim, and generally higher staff levels, I'd expect Brewdogs staff costs to be vastly higher than the scant, near minimum wage staffing in a 'spoons.

They are also paying a very significant, boomtime negotiated rent for their unit whereas Wetherspoons usually buy outright.

Their operating costs are not comparable, and they make up a lot more of the price of a pint than the wholesale margin on a keg does.

On food, price is not the comparison. Wetherspoons food is absolutely and utterly awful. If you find Brewdogs food dear for what it is (it is) you cannot possibly think that Wetherspoons is worth the price (its not worth paying for at all)

Clearly this is the case when the price difference is so vast, but that was L1011's argument, not mine.

My argument is just how difficult I would find it to go to a Brewery's pub to drink their own beer that can be bought for 70% less of the price in a pub 500 metres away. It also wouldn't make me go to Wetherspoons, but it certainly stops me going to Brewdog.

I mean, I couldn't bring myself to go to Porterhouse Temple Bar to drink their €6.20 Wrasslers if a pub down the road was selling it for €4.

Understandable. Though if it was just about the liquid and the pricetag on it, pubs wouldn't exist at all.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

The 'desk dog' deal they were running seemed to pretty good value, I must say, the daily cost largely "worth it" on the basis of the pint at the end of your work day. I presume the gamble was that you would eat lunch on the premises and stay for more than the one beer at the end.

Definitely, and I'd expect most did at least one of those - although you'd get a cheaper lunch in Fresh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I'd rather drink a can of Punk at home, than get a pint of it in a Weatherspoons. Zero soul to their pubs.

At least Brewdog has a fake manufactured soul.

I go to Brewdog about once every six weeks. I like trying what they have on their various taps, and there's good conversation and interaction with their staff. You just don't get the same thing in Weatherspoons.

The food isn't cheap, but it's nice. But you can get meal deals, as well as discount if you sign up as a "shareholder".

I've yet to watch the BBC documentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Does anybody have any idea where the new Dublin and Cork bars are going to be?

It's the same the world over really, The Snug and Long Hall are around the corner from each other, one has pint of Guinness €5.50, one has it for €3.50. Both do good trade to different customers.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I've been to Brewdog twice in Dublin twice, the main thing that holds me back is accessibility... It's convenient for the office crowd they're targeting in the docks area, but no one else. If it was handier to get to I would go though, yeah.

Why?

Buzzy, nice setting.

Friendly crowd, which makes for a nice night out.

Certainly plenty of beers worth drinking, last time I was there I ended up sharing a series of large bottles, can't remember but basically various experimental and wild beers. I suspect if you go in there and drink Punk you'd be kind of missing the point anyway, even on tap there would be more interesting options.

Is it expensive? sure. But the people that that genuinely puts off are not their target market, they were always going to go elsewhere. I'm not trying to be snobby here but that's the reality. It's all relative anyway, to make a different example, some Irish people won't go to Center Parcs because it's expensive/bad value, but is it really? Plenty of people have the money and like it, even though you do pay a lot for what it is. There's always going to be different price points in any industry, and the value is relative to people's income and the premium they place on things like convenience.

Perhaps you would be missing the point by only drinking Punk in there but I would bet it is by far their biggest seller. As you said, it has more things going for it than just the beer selection to attract groups of people there and in many cases, quite a few of those people will like dipping their toes into craft beer and not much else.

Looking at their menu on untappd, there doesn't seem to be much that wouldn't rival any of the better craft beer pubs in the city. I wouldn't be rushing to venture back unless I was very close by, or perhaps when warmer weather has come back, because the outdoor area is fantastic.

Hey look, I think you are right about Center Parcs and the relative value. Each person puts their own value on an experience.

Are some people willing to go into the Horseshoe Bar in the Shelbourne to drink an 8 Euro pint of Guinness? Yes. Am I willing to do that? Absolutely not. Would I pay the extra 2 euro to sit in the Long Hall drinking a pint? No, I'd go to the Long Hall and make sure to drink a pint of Beamish instead :)

From the shareholder forum - Dublin #2 is going to be in Dublin 2, the Charlemont Square development. Cork is apparently underway now, and is marked as being a franchise bar, expected to open June/July - not been in Cork since December so no idea where.

bUT wHEn aRe wE gEtTiNg A bReWDoG oN tHe NoRtHsIdE???

After me explaining to someone that it being "Dublin 2" on their list meant Dublin, pub 2 and not that it is going to be in Dublin 2; they go and put it in Dublin 2.

Manager of the existing pub has confirmed the location of the new.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭calnand

This ad points to mutual enterprises being the franchisee. So that probably means the grand Central/old bailey will be the location.

https://jobs.brewdog.com/vacancies/803/general-manager--cork--new-opening.html

• Advertisement

Advertisement