Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Proposed Boards Rule Changes..Decision?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

BizzyC wrote: »
    No, in an election there is a quorum to ensure that an adequate number of eligible voters took part in the election to make the result valid.

Looks like we're actually down to 7 divs this year, there's been a lot of dropouts, so as a % we have about half, but how many of those who voted are actually playing this year.

Just to clarify my position, I'm not in favour of switching the rosters, would be in favour of better schedules but see it being too hard to implement.

Elections generally don't have quorums. The votes were open a year, if anyone didn't vote it is entirely their own problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 929 ✭✭✭JCTO

No, in an election there is a quorum to ensure that an adequate number of eligible voters took part in the election to make the result valid.

Looks like we're actually down to 7 divs this year, there's been a lot of dropouts, so as a % we have about half, but how many of those who voted are actually playing this year.

Just to clarify my position, I'm not in favour of switching the rosters, would be in favour of better schedules but see it being too hard to implement.

Thing is though at what point of proposing year after year for a rule to be change that never happened because we decided every year we should go again should we say enough is enough and just go with the majority and pass a rule. By your logic we will never get a rule passed as it takes months if not a year to get even a suitable number of voters to vote. For me at this point enough voted to say we can go ahead with the rule changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

If we try the something and it is unpopular we can always have another vote next off-season to change back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Tristram wrote: »
    If we try the something and it is unpopular we can always have another vote next off-season to change back.

just on this point I don't think setting a precedent of votes every year is wise. If something gets voted on then as far as im concerned it should be set in stone for 3 seasons plys otherwise were going to be in a constant loop of people proposing changes every year because the vote went a different way than they wanted from the previous season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Is there any boards rules in place about the 'pick time' in the online draft. I think its automatically set at 90 seconds, but someone made the point that 60 seconds should be plenty.

they have a point. Is there anything in the charter?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

So on the starting positions vote, are we going with a flex or 3 WR's?

The poll closes on August 29th so Id say best to wait to see what happens between now and then. The rule changes take no more than 5 minutes to make once the polls close.

Is there any boards rules in place about the 'pick time' in the online draft. I think its automatically set at 90 seconds, but someone made the point that 60 seconds should be plenty.

they have a point. Is there anything in the charter?

id be against 60 seconds. ive had the draft app crash on me before during my pick and just about got it back up and running in time (and actually on other occasions didnt) at 60 seconds an unfortunate issue with the draft app and its flakey at best and your screwed.

if someone is online then they are likely to make their pick in much less than 90 seconds anyway i dont see a reason to force 60 seconds in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

D3PO wrote: »
    id be against 60 seconds. ive had the draft app crash on me before during my pick and just about got it back up and running in time (and actually on other occasions didnt) at 60 seconds an unfortunate issue with the draft app and its flakey at best and your screwed.

if someone is online then they are likely to make their pick in much less than 90 seconds anyway i dont see a reason to force 60 seconds in there.

I think the issue is auto picks.
    If someone isn't logged in it should pick quickly, not wait the full 90 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Spongey1975

I think the issue is auto picks.
    If someone isn't logged in it should pick quickly, not wait the full 90 seconds.

It does pick straight away. For teams that are not logged in it will go through the first pick for the full 90 seconds but every pick after that is done immediately.

I dont see a problem with the 90 second timer. Reducing to 60 will only save a few minutes over the whole length of the draft

• Advertisement

The dates on the polls has expired so i can assume the voting is now closed. Two changes were approved

We have a Flex position (RB/WR/TE) replacing one of the WR slots (won by just a single vote)

We are going to adopt a manual schedule for all the divisions. i have a template done to do this schedule and will be in touch with the GMs to send me on who is in what division so that i can complete the schedule for each division

• Registered Users Posts: 37,499 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Hold on a second. I wanted my vote changed to the original option and somebody else did too.

I voted for WR/TE not thinking that there was any chance of a shootout between the other two options. I posted in the thread saying I wanted to change my vote.

It's a very serious change to the settings and I think that the RB/WRTE flex option will ruin our leagues.

There is also a vote for the Flex option by somebody who wasn't in the league last year.

It also appears there is a vote for the Flex by somebody who wasn't in the league last year and isn't in it this year.

Did anybody check these votes?

eagle eye wrote: »
    It also appears there is a vote for the Flex by somebody who wasn't in the league last year and isn't in it this year.

Did anybody check these votes?

Which one?

I just went through it and saw one vote for the current system that i didnt recognise (robfullam)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

How do you see what way you voted?

I have a feeling I did vote for a Flex, but I'd prefer to stay as is now.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

If you click on the number beside the votes you can see who voted for what.

You voted for Flex to be added.

Which one?

I just went through it and saw one vote for the current system that i didnt recognise (robfullam)
    Alfred Borden was never in the league as far as I know. He does post on the AF forum but has never been a member of the Boards AF fantasy as far as I'm aware.

Alfred Borden was never in the league as far as I know. He does post on the AF forum but has never been a member of the Boards AF fantasy as far as I'm aware.

He is in Division 7 this year

I am against changing your vote. I voted Flex but would like to change also but in the fairness of a voting system I am happy to leave my vote as it stands. When you vote on anything you can't just change your mind after submitting your vote. It brings down the whole system of voting in the first place and will cause a headache.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

What is the motivation for changing to a manual schedule again, is it just so you play the people in your division more often?

It seems a bit arbitrary and pointless tbh given that teams are assigned to a division arbitrarily and they change every year anyway. Is there any competitive imbalance being ironed out by changing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

JCTO wrote: »
    I am against changing your vote. I voted Flex but would like to change also but in the fairness of a voting system I am happy to leave my vote as it stands. When you vote on anything you can't just change your mind after submitting your vote. It brings down the whole system of voting in the first place and will cause a headache.

I'd like to second this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

We need a vote on changing votes!

I vote you can because I like things the way they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

Well I badly wanted the non-flex option to win, as it is far simpler on a week to week basis with flex, but we should go with the majority I suppose.

He is in Division 7 this year

Sorry that was the guy who only joined up this year. The guy who has never been a member is Agent J

This poll was voted on last year. If you are allowing votes from this year then we sure as hell are allowing votes to be changed.

That is two votes for the change to flex that should not be counted.

eagle eye wrote:
    Sorry that was the guy who only joined up this year. The guy who has never been a member is Agent J
    eagle eye wrote:
    This poll was voted on last year. If you are allowing votes from this year then we sure as hell are allowing votes to be changed.
    eagle eye wrote:
    That is two votes for the change to flex that should not be counted.

No we left the voting open until this season. So the voting should stand. The premise of leaving it open gave people long enough until the start of the new season to vote including new members.

JCTO wrote: »
    No we left the voting open until this season. So the voting should stand. The premise of leaving it open gave people long enough until the start of the new season to vote including new members.
    New members last season were allowed to vote but I didn't see anything about new members for the upcoming season having a say in the matter. Can you point me to where that was said?

New members last season were allowed to vote but I didn't see anything about new members for the upcoming season having a say in the matter. Can you point me to where that was said?

I am not pointing you anywhere. Why would we leave it open right up until the start of the new season? That makes no sense. The rule change was a proposed change for this coming season and it would be daft to exclude new members planning to play in the up and coming season. It is clear you are just looking for a way out of your vote.

You had a whole year for this coming season to vote. You decided to vote early and now all of a sudden you and others change your vote knowing it affects this coming season. Why not hold off voting until you were sure that was the option you wanted.

I am going to be honest if we allow vote changes I am going to bow out of these leagues. It seems we can't even vote on rule changes in a proper manner without someone objecting to them. What is the point of having any system if we are going to change it later on when someone objects to it.

I want the regular system and realise I pulled the trigger too early with my vote and after considering it now realise I made a mistake but I will live with MY mistake and role with the voting as we agreed to allow the voting to happen. Fook Democracy if we decide to break rules we put in place.

• Advertisement

forget the vote changes. there is a vote from somebody who didn't play last season. therefore the votes are ties and the status quo should remain.

As for flex like I said pre vote if its in Im out. Flex in a 16 team league is a load of boll0x.

Advertisement