Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Canoe or Kayak

• 25-07-2015 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭

I'm a looking to buy a canoe or kayak but I am not sure which to buy.

It's mainly for leisure on lakes and canals.

Which would be better suited?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I'm a looking to buy a canoe or kayak but I am not sure which to buy.

It's mainly for leisure on lakes and canals.

Which would be better suited?

I moved your post here where you will get a better response, if it were me I'd buy one of each :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

fergal.b wrote: »
    I moved your post here where you will get a better response, if it were me I'd buy one of each :D

Thanks Fergal.....will both be suitable for lakes and canal's ha

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I'm no expert on them but I do see them on both canals and lakes I guess it depends on how much experience you have as the lakes can get quite choppy "believe me I know"

fergal.b wrote: »
    I'm no expert on them but I do see them on both canals and lakes I guess it depends on how much experience you have as the lakes can get quite choppy "believe me I know"

Am I right that you sit 'in' a canoe but on top of a kayak?

As you when you go under you need to roll the conoetober as you inside it

Well I'm a good swimmer and PADI diver but as for boats well I've only ever dived off one.......wouldn't make a great captain!

Some of the kayaks you sit on a seat in with your legs out in front in a canoe you are on your knees or sit on the bottom of it " I think" your best bet would be to join a club and try them out to see what best suits, you will also lean all the tricks to get you out of trouble if you capsize.http://canoe.ie/clubs/

• Advertisement

Seems like my local Mullingar club is white water only.....I presume they would still do basic calm water training??

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Wobbly_Legs

Am I right that you sit 'in' a canoe but on top of a kayak?

As you when you go under you need to roll the conoetober as you inside it

Well I'm a good swimmer and PADI diver but as for boats well I've only ever dived off one.......wouldn't make a great captain!

Hi Kwacker

A canoe is a boat which does not have a deck, meaning you sit in but do not have anything covering your legs.
    A kayak you also sit in but you have a deck which covers your legs. Experienced kayakers would wear a 'skirt' called a spray deck which seals the hole in the deck when sitting in it and this is when it becomes necessary to be able to roll a kayak if it capsises. I do not recommend a beginner to start off with a spray deck unless you are paddling with somebody experienced in doing rescues.

As you are just looking for something for leisure on lakes and canals and do not have much experience with boats; I recommend getting a sit on top canoe. These are versatile beginner boats which can be fished from etc. I am just assuming that is what you intend to do on the lake.

Hi Kwacker

A canoe is a boat which does not have a deck, meaning you sit in but do not have anything covering your legs.
    A kayak you also sit in but you have a deck which covers your legs. Experienced kayakers would wear a 'skirt' called a spray deck which seals the hole in the deck when sitting in it and this is when it becomes necessary to be able to roll a kayak if it capsises. I do not recommend a beginner to start off with a spray deck unless you are paddling with somebody experienced in doing rescues.

As you are just looking for something for leisure on lakes and canals and do not have much experience with boats; I recommend getting a sit on top canoe. These are versatile beginner boats which can be fished from etc. I am just assuming that is what you intend to do on the lake.

Perfect explanation thanks, It is just for pleasure and the odd bit of fishing. Also for fitness too.

I have seen some sit on types called Kayaks as link below shows? So can this be classed as a canoe?

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0211/0922/files/Bic_Banner_1024x1024.jpg?14357455397895781689

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Wobbly_Legs

Yes techinically it is a canoe but some call them kayaks, as they are modern adaptions closer to a kayak than a canoe.
    These are perfect for what you are looking for; very stable and easy to fish from.
    So long as you have your seat adjusted correctly it will serve you well for your intended purpose.

Advertisement